Friday, February 10, 2012

Lost Girl

Quote of the Day: "I love fantasy. I love horror. I love musicals. Whatever doesn't really happen in life is what I'm interested in. As a way of commenting on everything that does happen in life, because ultimately the only thing I'm really interested in is people." ~Joss Whedon

Song of the Day: Heaven by O.A.R.

State of mind: full and a bit noisy. So, you know, mine.

Date: February 10th, 2012

I like things with a touch of whimsy. It doesn’t necessarily have to be supernatural but a quirk always gets my attention. I could watch straight up drama, but why do that when I can watch a drama with a sword wielding Immortal, a vampire with a soul, a piemaker that can raise the dead, or now a succubus in search of her identity?

This isn’t a recent shift in taste. When I was a kid I was all about superheroes and Star Wars. One summer I pretended I was Wonder Woman, and by the time winter came around I made my mother buy me all white winter gear so I could be Princess Leia on Hoth. (Which was a little difficult to pull off seeing my mother saw fit to get me one of those damn Dorthy Hamill hair cuts. Princess Leia never had to put up with that kind of crap.)

It was while in junior high that I discovered books, albeit by coercion. My English teacher enrolled me in some book club thing and despite myself, I got hooked. Was a tom boy, now a bibliophile. I didn't see that coming. But once I embraced my love of books, the first series I discovered on my own was Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, (it really was the smiling green planet and the words "Don’t Panic" on the cover that drew me in) and then later I found The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. I recall that I would come home from school and watch re-peats of Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, and Buck Rogers then go hide in my room or up a tree reading about ridiculous aliens or humans and their elfin sidekicks battling some magical evil. Occasionally there were dragons. By high school I was completely absorbed with whatever sword and sorcery story I could find. David Eddings, The Dragonlance stuff, the Valdemar series, E.B. White, ect. Somehow though I switched gears and it was all sci-fi all the time. I’m pretty sure I flunked trigonometry the first time because I read the entire Dune series while in class. Oops. But the Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear has served my much better than anything I should have learned in that class.

The thing is, I’m not exactly sure what it was I was trying to escape from. My childhood wasn’t awful. My parents were pretty laid back and I grew up in a small town at a time when you could go outside without parental observation and just play. I spent more time running around in the woods either alone or with the other kids from the neighborhood building forts or pretending we were under assault by cylons. (The actual robot kind, not the sexy spine glowing kind.)

After high school I got to busy for much escapism. I had two jobs and any spare time I had was unwinding with friends, usually at bar or at someones tiny apartment. (And somehow I usually ended up as the designated drive. I think I should feel jipped and used...) Any off time I had was spent with them either down at the river or at whatever music festival we could find.

It wasn’t until I became more settled (ugh!) that the need for something other than everyday real life came back. Most shows I watch are just to get me out of my noisy head, and to paraphrase Billy Joel, "forget about life for a while…" What's on my TV is usually enough to do that. Plus, I can multi-task by escaping and folding laundry at the same time. (Dear god, just kill me now.) But every once in a while I come across something that triggers flights of fancy to break up a monotonous day even when I'm not watching it. Lost Girl does that. So enough about me, here is what I think about the show that you should be watching too.

It's lush. Well, wait. I've used that word to describe it other places and it's not quite right. Fertile. Yeah. Most stories are good for the time I'm paying attention to them. On rare occasions there are stories with enough room in them that there are questions and things to ruminate and wonder about until the next week. It lingers. But in a good way, like the smell of maple syrup after breakfast is long done. I liked all the characters instantly. Last time that happened was in Firefly.


Kenzi, the obligatory sidekick, is awesome. In the first episode she explains to Bo, (the main heroine of the tale), that her mother told her to pick the toughest kid on the playground and make that person your friend, saying that Bo was that kid. I think she got that part wrong however. I think Kenzi is actually the toughest kid on their playground. Optimism like hers is pretty damn potent stuff. Plus, she's funny as Hell.

Bo is a little bit harder to get a grasp of. She's got a power that kills, yet I'm not getting much regret from her on that. She's a little bit too together (despite living in a former crack house and driving a crappy car) for an accidental serial killer. Perhaps they'll get to that later. She's our in, seeing as she's the one that has the least clue about what is going on so I suppose trying to figure out everything takes precedence over brooding.

Dyson is a cop that is also Fae, (what they call themselves on this show), who in one scene gets yelled at by Bo, kissed by him, then she calls him an asshole. Funny thing is, when she was yelling at him, he should have been yelled at, when she kissed him, she should have been kissing him, and when she called him an asshole... well, you get the drift. All in a span of a few minutes. Sharp turns like that are hard to pull off with characters you don't immediately like. He's a bit of a mystery. And I get the feeling that he doesn't actually think much of humans, despite being on the "side" that doesn't hurt them. Us. Whatever. Basically, he's a grouch. Go figure. I like the grouchy character. And I was instantly rooting for him to be on Bo's side. 

Hale is Dyson's partner, but I don't know much about him yet. He wears hats. Not much to go on, but he does wear them well.

Trick is someone with power, but hides it. I am instantly intrigued. And only four episodes in but I really want to see more of him and Kenzi interacting. It's adorable. Yet, that guys got gravitas. If they had gotten someone with just a smidgen less, it could have turned that character into a joke and in a way the entire show would have come unhinged.

The show itself moved pretty quickly into formula territory, but I can forgive it that seeing as a lot of genre shows like this have to throw everything they got at the viewing audience in order to stay on the air. Unless it's different in Canada and their airwaves are chock full of shows like this. If so, I'm packing my bags pronto. And like I said, I like all the players. I'm sure that the writers are going to back off the monster of the week formula and start digging into who Bo really is, why Trick is so interested in her, and just how many hats does Hale have.

It reminds me of a lot of other shows that I love, like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, it's spin off Angel, Highlander the series, and even Moonlight, (which got more fun as the actors seemed to just embrace the camp that show was), but I don't mean that it's derivative. Except the clothing. That is derivative and a half. But more like Goth meets Middle Earth. Actually, it looks more like clothing people would buy that were heavily into Tolkien or going to medieval fairs and that influence leaked into their daily clothing style. Same with the set dressings. Which does remind me of one peeve. How does Bo have so much furniture and even electricity in a house that's supposed to be abandoned? She barely has walls yet she's got a plush red velvet couch that looks like it just came off the sales floor. I ask that mostly out of jealousy. I hate my couch. (I also hate paying my electric bill...)

Tomorrow is the fifth episode on the SyFy (that's still stupid) channel. I have no idea where the other four are online, if they are online but I suggest you find them and watch them. They'll make your brain happy.

Show quote of the day:

"Have I spit in your coffee or something. What is your deal?"

"Kiss me."

"Wow are you bad at reading women."

1 comment:

LL said...

"the need for something other than real life came back."

*sniff* I'm so proud that you used "than" correctly that I'm not even going to point out all the other grammatical errors...

:ewink: