Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Unable to Separate the Case from the People Involved?

Quote of the day: “When it comes to privacy and accountability, people always demand the former for themselves and the latter for everyone else.” ~David Brin

Song of the day: Bent by Matchbox 20

State of mind: tired

Date: 12/29/10

So, I was reading on CNN about the husband that is in trouble for reading his wife’s emails. It’s an interesting case, I think. As someone that very much values my privacy (despite how much I blab about myself online…) I am keenly interested in how this one ends up. E-mail, to me, is the same as mail. If it isn’t addressed to you, you don’t get to read it. I also take issue with employers reading employees e-mails and justifying it by saying it’s their equipment. So? If I were to use my work phone to call my home phone and get my messages and punch in my code to retrieve them, does that really mean my employer can retrieve my messages whenever they Hell they want just because I used their phone once to get them? I use my computer at work to get my e-mail quite often, but I don’t get my e-mail exclusively on that computer. How do you differentiate between the e-mails I opened while on their computer to the ones I opened at home?

Back to hacker husband: Reading the comments was an eye opener. Nearly all of the comments are angry at the wife (for being a cheater, slime, slut…ect.) and the prosecutor for even bringing the case against the husband because the wife is the one complaining. He was husband #3. She was having an affair with husband #2 who was also a convicted domestic abuser. Husband #3 told husband #1 so that husband #1 could go to court to get custody of the children they had together because he didn’t feel safe leaving them in the care of a woman that would sleep with her abusive ex-husband. Well, that’s all fine and dandy. The woman is a slut and has bad taste in men. Fine.

BUT. What if it had been husband #2 that was reading her e-mails and found out that she was planning on leaving him because he was an abuser? What if her e-mails were between her and a help line for abused women? And instead of using the e-mails to take her to court, he beat the shit out of her. What then? Would it still be OK that he read her e-mail? Uh, no.

That she’s a cheater isn’t the issue. The fact he took it upon himself to go through things that did not belong to him is.

I really wish people would stop judging cases by the people that are the reason they are brought about.

Show quote of the day: “He just called the Statue of Liberty a whore!”



3 comments:

LL said...

Ooooooo... a real post? Are you feeling alright P? :ewink:

It's a tough case to be sure... it'll probably turn on the facts surrounding his access to the email account. Did she ever give him her password? If she did, then she's consented to his access. Was she using his computer? Same result because of the workplace issues you've discussed in the post.

The real discussion I'm not going to get into here because you probably don't want to see how non-hypocritical I can be. If you want to have that discussion... you'll have to email me. :P

ctheokas said...

Of course, the real crime is that you listen to Matchbox 20.

NYPinTA said...

That just hurts.