Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Freak of nature?

Quote of the day: "It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is most adaptable to change." ~Charles Darwin

Song of the day: Undecided by Ella Fitzgerald

State of mind: muddled

Date: November 10th, 2009

Day 10! I am falling behind but still chugging along...

As stated, I am unwell. I thought it was a head cold, but now I am not so sure. No sniffles, or chest congestion. All I have is a sore, swollen throat and a headache that radiates down my back. I am suspicious that it might be due to my wisdom teeth that I have not yet had taken out. My dentist had recommended they be pulled a little over a year ago because they came in funny and he was concerned about possible decay because even with my fastidious oral hygiene, the odd angels would make them impossible to keep clean. Was that bullshit to get me to authorize an unnecessary procedure? I don't think so. And now I'm thinking that my weird wisdom teeth are making me prone to infections in the throat. This is the second time I've felt like this in little over three months. In September I came back from NYC with a sore throat too. Also, I've had strep throat twice in the past year- the last time being the worst case I've ever had.
How does this make me a freak of nature? It's the number of wisdom teeth I have. Three.
I may have mentioned the story my dentist told me about more kids being born with less wisdom teeth as they are less often necessary to replace missing teeth- which is their function. He gave credit to better oral hygene and advanced in dentistry.
I mentioned that on twitter and was challenged on it and although I dont think that it's a huge deal, I feel the need to clarify in more than 140 characters, but don't feel like spamming everyone's twitter feed with my tooth ramblings.
1) I did not mean to imply that my dentist was right. Just that he said it.
2) I know nothing about genetics.
Even still, it makes a kind of sense to me. I have no idea if a change in humans could be so quick, but it seems plausible that some alterations would happen due to environent. I have no idea if that's how changes happen at all. But in my overviewing brain, it makes sense. The Earth wasn't built for us, we were built for it. And if at one time we were all the same, from the same place (Africa) then why are we so different now? We moved to different locations with different environents. It's the reason I see as to why people with ancestors from the colder climates are furry as hell. (I'm a lot Irish, so I know.) Why people have certain skin tones depending on the amount of sunlight there is. Even eye color could be attributed to where the human was when it first appeared.
But from what I gathered by the comment to me was that evolution happens because those with favorable traits survive while those without don't and the survivors pass it on. (I might be interpreting that totally wrong BTW. Again, I know nothing about genetics.) But I have to wonder, where did the trait come into exsistence in order to be deemed by sucessful human survival to be the good trait to pass on? Something had to have happened that triggered it, right?so why not flouride in the water or good brushing habits?
Either way, after work tomorrow I have to drop off some books to the library and plan to pick up a few to answer the question, because now it's bugging me.
Besides, the real point I was trying to make on twitter was just that I'm a freak. On that I suspect we all agree.

Show quote of the day: "When they blew up the Death Star with thousands of Stormtroopers on it, they knew they were people?"
"It was called a 'Death Star', sweetie. They knew what they were getting into."




4 comments:

Christy in Seattle said...

So, I had FIVE wisdom teeth ... guess I pulled an extra from somewhere!

slgn said...

Feel better soon, sweets!

Soft kitty, warm kitty
Little ball of furr
Lazy kitty, pretty kitty
purr, purr, purr

NYPinTA said...

Ha! Sheldon's song made my day. :)

trinamick said...

My sister had tons of problems with her wisdom teeth, and she would get sick with that same crap. I feel for ya!