Monday, February 23, 2009

Sickness

I haven't had chocolate in a week. I've been sick. It started out as just another cold but grew into a thriving case of strep throat. Four sleepless nights later, I'm back to just a cold but everything still taste like cherry cough drops.
During the week I must have consumed at least 100 cough drops, half a container of throat spray, multiple cold pills- from Tylenol Cold and Flu medication (which didn't work) to nasal decongestents and I even tried Musinex even though I think their commercials are the grossest thing on TV. (They're even grosser than Andrew Dice Clay being on a show with Donald Trump.) I've used 1/4 a container of Vicks, both on my chest and on my feet as per one home remedy. You're supposed to slather it on the bottom of your feet before you go to bed and when you wake up the cold is supposed to have been magically drawn out of you. Uh, no. Instead, all it did was make my socks sticky. I've eaten half a box of fruit popsicles, ate copious amounts of pasta slathered in butter and salt, and gone through two boxes of chicken noodle cup o' soup.
I really despise being sick.
And like an idiot, the whole time last week I was at work every day. Even the day I was so winded from congestions that while I was taking a shower, I grew so weak I had to sit down. Why? Why didn't I stay home rather than risk infecting my lovely co-workers? Because they didn't stay home and they infected me. I was the last one sick so I figured they were immune. Plus, I had too much stuff to do and have too many bills to pay to rely on sick time.
I finally gave in today though. My throat is fine but I still can't breath too well and since I've been sick I haven't done a lick of laundry. So it was either go into work still feeling like crap in dirty cloths or stay home and try and get some cloths clean, despite how winded I still get just going up and down the stairs just once.
By this Wednesday I should be back to my old self. And I can't wait. I really miss chocolate.

10 comments:

fermicat said...

Suckitude.

Sorry to hear that you are sick. If it makes you feel any better, or confirms your experience, I have heard that Vicks VapoRub is completely worthless as a remedy of any kind. At least it must have moisturized your feet, right? So it wasn't a total waste.

LL said...

I've heard that vicks is actually worse for you because it's petroleum based and the fumes cause bad things to happen to your lungs. Not sure I believe it, but alas...

And you should have come to me earlier... I'd have given you Dr. LL's cure. You'd have been back to eating chocolate in no time...

Stellar said...

You rubbed Vick's vapor rub on your feet? Did you think it through first?

NYPinTA said...

I was miserable and willing to try almost anything. And one of my stupid coworkers swore by it because he had just done it the week before. Plus, I did look it up on the internet and well... that should have been my first clue.

My feet were tingly however. Which was interesting. But no help.

Madre Farbot said...

...Err, something tells me I may be feeding your chocolate needs very soon.

Erm, but anyway, I'm so glad that you are returning to health CB, err, I mean, NYP. :D

Anyway, I'd like to know more about this Dr (he)LL's cure. LOL

LL said...

Whathe???

3 more eggs? 3?!?!

You're just going to keep going until one dies now... aren't ya.

NYPinTA said...

Nah. Once they hit "maturity" you don't have to do anything anymore. Which just means I can't kill them.

trinamick said...

My grandma always swore by Vicks, but she'd rub it under your nose as well as on your feet. Don't know if it got rid of our colds, but the hallucinations were great.

I recommend Airborne. A buddy of mine is a retired surgeon and he scoffs at me, but I haven't been sick at all this year. And at the moment, he is completely congested, hacking up lung butter, and looks like death warmed over. Even if you are already sick, I think it lessens the symptoms and you heal faster.

Otherwise, go with my favorite remedy: Crown Royal, a little water, honey, and lemon juice. Pop it in the microwave and enjoy. You may not get cured, but by the end, who cares?

ctheokas said...

You shoulda gone for my holistic remedy. I'm just sayin'.

Kathleen said...

Oh, that stinks. I was sick in bed last Monday - slept for three straight days - basic flu symptoms, so I appreciate how you felt.

I've read the same thing about Vick's VapoRub on your feet. I don't remember it working, but hell, when you have a cold you'll try anything. I understand.