Saturday, November 08, 2008

The Arc of History

Quote of the day: “Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him.” ~Dwight D. Eisenhower

Song of the day: Prelude 12/21 by AFI

State of mind: Reflective

Date: Nov. 7, 2008

I was having a bad day yesterday. I can’t recall what exactly about it was so wrong, but it was off. Co-workers spent a lot of time discussing nothing and doing it with a lot of yelling and having to repeat themselves, which is a huge pet peeve of mine. If you ask a question, listen for the god damn answer. And actually HEAR what the other person is saying and respond to that, not some imaginary point you pretend they made so you can say something that has no bearing on the actual conversation. My ability to concentrate is greatly reduced if I have to hear someone else’s illogical arguments. It trips something in my brain that wants to strangle things.

In order to combat the stupid insignificant stresses of the day, (and BTW, if you are thinking that working in an office isn’t stressful, go here: Desk Rage), I pulled out the text of President-elect Obama’s acceptance speech from Tuesday night/early Wednesday morning to buoy my sinking mood. It was hell of a speech, wasn’t it? I’ll admit I was misty eyed. (From allergies.) (No. Not really.) It sure will be nice to have a President that is articulate. Right or wrong, whether I agree or disagree with what is being said, I’d rather hear it from someone that doesn’t make me cringe when they speak.

I got to the part in his speech where he mentioned the 106 year old voter and all of the history she has been alive for and that got me to thinking about my less than 106 year long life and all the history that I’ve seen as well. Like her, I remember the Berlin Wall coming down. Two shuttles being destroyed. 9-11. The Human Genome Project. The Hubble Space Telescope and ISS being set into orbit. Mount Saint Helens erupting. I was 8 at the time and I recall being in my parents’ bedroom watching TV when I saw this red glow peaking through the curtains. I got up and pushed them aside and looked at a sky that was on fire with the slowest moving flames. Turns out it was the sun reflecting off the ash that had finally made it to our side of the continent. It was the most beautiful sunset I had ever seen. Too bad it was at the expense of the side of a mountain and all the people that were in the way. What else? A few presidents. Tsunamis, earthquakes, fires. The rise of the PC, the Internet, blogs. Humans breaking barriers, being stupid, being brilliant.

But when I’m 106 (and I plan to be) what else would I have like to see happen? Flying cars? Teleporters? A cure for all cancer? The ability to re-grow limbs that have been lost to accident or defect at birth? The first person on Mars? Permanent homes on the Moon? A clean Earth? A woman elected President? Equality for everyone all over the globe?

Yes. To all of that, and all that I can imagine and all that I can’t. But what would everyone else like to be witness too? What do you want to see happen? Inventions invented, mysteries revealed, and events unfolded? Post it here or link to a blog post of your own. I think I’m going to need more uplifting and inspiring things to read for the next time my co-workers make me want to commit a crime against nature.

Show quote of the day: “Do I look like a ditchable prom date to you?”

5 comments:

JennyLu said...

MMMMe I ['m first.

I want to see you finish a novel before your 106!

trinamick said...

I'd like to still have my own teeth. No wars, no sickness, no death. Yeah, I think I could live with that.

John said...

A always planned on living into my 100s. It didn't even seem like that much of a stretch. People who are 100 now look 100, but by the time I'm 100, people who are 100 will look and feel like people who are 80 now, just like how people who were 60 twenty years ago looked like they were 80. Well, now they're 80. Or dead. Anyway, now I'm freaked out because I may not even make it to 80.

Beth said...

I'm not big on eradicating all disease. The planet can't sustain all those people who would have died by disease ... although I can't stand it when it's a child. So, no, I wouldn't want to see that at all, but I would love to see someone find a way to make EVERYONE thin (change their brain to make them want to eat healthy and exercise) and I would love to see the end of gasoline powered anything. I would also love to see low cost universal healthcare for all.

I have such hope for Obama and I cried as well ... a lot. Even the next day watching testimonies I cried some more.

Madre Farbot said...

Not that it might directly effect me, but I'd like to see Inauguration Day moved a little closer.

As impractical as it sounds, I'd like to see a different kind of capitalism emerge. One where its people are justly rewarded throughout their working lives -- with everything that can be afforded to them.

Anyway, there's a lot of things I'd like to see get done, but I reckon I'd need to live for a couple of hundred thousand years before I'd see any real change in attitudes and behaviors freely given to other peoples' way of life.