Friday, October 31, 2008

NaNoWriMo. WTF?

Quote of the day: "The more I wrote, the creepier I got." ~Joss Whedon

Song of the day: "Kashmir" by Led Zeppelin

State of mind: Full of grandeur.

Date: Oct. 31st, 2008

What was I thinking? No. Seriously! What. The. Fu.... oh, I know. I was under some delusion that I could actually write a 50,000 word 175 page book in a month.

So this is insanity. It's not as bad as I thought it would be.

For those who are still sane, you might be wondering what it is I'm going on about. NaNoWriMo is National Novel Writing Month where other people of the same broken brain bent as I sign up to crank out a whole book before the end of November. This year marks the 10th Anniversary of the first NaNoWriMo competition that included a whole 21 participants. According to the book No Plot No Problem by NaNoWriMo creator Chris Baty only 6 made it to the 50,000 word finish line. This year 77,860 people have signed up. That's a lot of insanity. But if the math holds out about 25,953 will complete their fevered masterpiece. (Hopefully some folks by the names of stellar, b!x, and cabridges will be among the 25k+ to succeed.)

I have no clue if I will make it. I could fail by either waving the white flag early on in defeat or from not making the necessary word quota, although I have a feeling the word count won't be my problem. No... Based on past experience my main obstacles will be: procrastination fueled by some deluded idea that 50,000 words (which breaks down to about 1667 words a day for the 30 day month of November) won't take that long, so I'll put off starting each day and if I skip a day I'll be sure that I can make it up in just a few moments. (Wow. And here I am thinking that just today I went insane.) The other obstacle will be the lack of follow through. After a few days of being "too busy" to write and thinking I can make up the word count in one mad session of mad writing I'll realize it's a whole lot harder to crank out those daily 1667 words and after a wave of whelm passes overhead I'll throw in the towel and tell myself it doesn't matter because it wasn't for anyone else but me anyhow.

Or not. Or I could actually do this thang.

Anyone else want to give it a go? Still one day left to sign up! Join the crazy. It's pretty here.

Show quote of the day: " If you act drunk long enough, you get a REAL hangover."

9 comments:

LL said...

I think I'm gonna keep my goals a bit less grandiose...

Like say... post in my blog at least 3 times this month...

So are we gonna get to read your daily updates of the novel so we can pull out the ol' whip and keep you going? And make fun of it as we go? :ewink:

Ben O. said...

I totally forgot about it this year. Thanks for the reminder. This is the year I'm going to actually write and not just drink coffee with the laptop buzzing away.

Good luck to all who go for it!

ctheokas said...

Just 50,000 words? Pff. That's like, you know, Wednesday for me.

NYPinTA said...

Uh huh.

tkersh said...

Weird six degrees thing: Here I am NaNo-ing away and I think "What would Malcolm Reynolds do?" So my procrastinator googles it. I read your post, think "This chick's cool" and head to your homepage, where the first post is... NaNo!

You can so do it! This is my second time through. The middle two weeks pretty much suck eggs but the first and last are a total blast. The bragging rights last forever and the experience catapults you into a whole new area of serious writerdom (got my first request for a Full from an Agent this year, we'll see...)

What's your NaNo un? I'm tkersh (go figure). Friend me, it's easier the more people we have to guilt - er, support - each other!

NYPinTA said...

If NaNoWriMo's site ever lets me back in, I'll add you. :) I just think it's hilarious you actually googled "what would Malcolm Reynolds do?" Fantastic.

fermicat said...

A novel in a month? Who needs this kind of pressure? And don't they know it is football season?

Word Verification = "pested" I'm going to use that in a sentence or two tomorrow!

JennyLu said...

OOOH good luck. Don't waste your thoughts on blogging, waste them on working on the project. Lots of luck

Beth said...

I've written novels, but I just don't know if I could do it in a month like BANG, write it! I'm with LL, I'd like to read yours along the way. =)