Sunday, October 26, 2008

Kill My Blog? (With an added dash of Firefly.)

Quote of the day: “Existence is no more than the precarious attainment of relevance in an intensely mobile flux of past, present, and future.” ~ Susan Santog

Song of the day: I’m Alive by Flyleaf

State of mind: bored

Date: Oct. 26th, 2008

According to Wired Magazine the blog is so 2004 and they suggest if you have one you should drop it in favor of something like Twitter.com, the micro-blogging site where people with accounts update everyone that is ‘following’ them in messages of 140 characters or less. Although I do have a twitter account and love it so much it is one of the first pages I open in the morning, I still like the apparently passé long form blog. Do I strike anyone as the kind of person that could be as succinct as to get my point across in fewer letters than it takes to say:


At work now. Would very much like to use my calculator as a weapon of mass destruction on the next person that tells me I'm behind the times.
See? That took me 141 characters. Byte me Wired Magazine. Besides, how would I be able to fit in the quotes and songs that I do? And pictures? I have a lot to say, dammit, and I’m going to keep saying it old school.

Their argument is that professional blogs have taken over and personal blogs will never show up in a google search. Well thank god. I don’t write this to be quoted on Nightline or 60 Minutes. I blog for me. (And friends. So they know I didn't trip down the stairs and break my neck or something- which is a complete possibility.) For a while I did get caught up in the idea of having readers and keeping everyone entertained with each blog post. Obviously, I’ve gotten over that.

I have been considering moving my blog though; getting an actual web site with my very own domain name just to feel like I’ve staked out a nice piece of the Internet real estate, so imagine my surprise when I checked to see if talkingtothemoon.com was already taken and it was! As was tttm.com, whatever.com, and wtfever.com.

Bastards. Now what? Nypinta.com is available, but do I really want that as a domain name? I’ve come up with a few others, but I don’t know. It seems like such a final thing, paying for a web address. It’s hardly a tattoo, but still… decisions, decision.

I supposed I could just stay here. I mean, I like it here. It’s comfy and I know where everything is. But I should update it. However, I hate change. When I first started this blog I spent so much time going through the code of the template and tweaking things to my satisfaction. Plus, with the update that blogger keeps trying to get me to accept takes away the ‘previous posts’ list. Not sure why I am so attached to that list, but I am. And I’d have to recreate all my other link lists, which is just a pain in the ass.

Ah, screw it. I’ve got plenty of things to worry about that updating my blog or if I’m with the times shouldn’t be one of them.

Show quote of the day: “Did you just feel that?”

Firefly Sunday continues!! Our Mrs. Reynolds. It's the episode that gets funnier every time I watch it.

9 comments:

LL said...

You'd actually think about Wa11zing your blog? That guy's a bad influence...

Besides... if you moved somewhere, where would I go to make fun of the old guy in a dress?

NYPinTA said...

Like you wouldn't follow me just to make fun of a *not* old guy in a dress.

fermicat said...

Oooh, a classic (Our Mrs. Reynolds)!

And who cares if blogs are the "in" thing? I have so far resisted twitter, and lots of other internet distractions. The ones I already have are taking too much time!

JennyLu said...

No, don't leave! Grrrr.

ctheokas said...

You're using a blog. You must be old. Heh heh.

Beth said...

I like it here. It'll be sad to go elsewhere ... but I will.

Beth said...

Hey, I just saw a question from you on my old post about "You Suck" from Christopher Moore. At first when I began the book I was like, "Blech, THIS sucks," but as I stuck with it, I actually found myself enjoying it. It's a kooky vampire read. Whedonesque, I guess, but it ends up funny and weird. One of the main characters in the telling of the book (Abby Normal) was AWESOME. Her recounts in the book made me laugh out loud, so yeah, I do recommend it ... if you're into this genre, which I think you are.

JennyLu said...

Wow. I am just getting the hang of blogging here. I don't want to blog somewhere else! Old or not, I enjoy blogger. Sigh.

trinamick said...

As much as I'd love to get all Twitterpated, I barely post now. It all seems like too much work.