Friday, November 23, 2007

It's the Holiday Season. Whoop dee do!

Quote of the day: "Christmas is the season when you buy this year's gifts with next year's money." ~Author Unknown

Song of the day: How Far We've Come by Matchbox 20

State of mind: turkey-fied

Date: 11/23/07

My Thanksgiving turkey coma has worn off just in time for me to hit my afternoon blahs while at work. What a way for the season to begin; in a constant state of stupification and "huh?"
Yesterday I got up just in time to see Santa make his grand entrance at the end of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. (I wonder how many years we have left of Santa closing the show before it's deemed insensative or politically incorrect and we can't have him in the parade. I shudder at the thought.) I puttered around in my pajamas for a good long while, watched The AKC Dog Show, Miracle on 34th Street, Oprah (it was a repeat with Bill Clinton pimping his book Giving, which I have and it's pretty good), plus a bunch of HGTV shows about food and decorating. No football. I hate football. Napped. Ate. Ate some more. Waited to be less full. Watched Gilmore Girls. Had dessert. I love this holiday!
However, it's the Holdiay season, which isn't actually about just eating till you become an Oompa Loompa. It's about toys! No... wait. That's not it either. Oh right, it's about giving. *sigh* Fine. Whatever.

So here are a few good sites with giving options:

kiva.org
Free Rice
Donors Choose
Heifer International No, this is not a Russian Bride like site for chubby women.

And as always, check a charity before giving over your hard earned cashy money!

And to really kick off the holiday right, I think I'll go see a seasonal movie this weekend. Hitman looks good. ;)

Show quote of the day:
Zach: [sings] "A mighty fortress is our God, a bulwark never failing." Dude, what's a bulwark?
Brian: What?
Zach: It says, a bulwark never failing.
Brian: I think it's a wall.
Zach: Then why don't they just say that? Bulwark sounds totally gay.
Brian: I don't think you're supposed to call a hymn gay. It's like a sin or something.
Zach: Whatever, man. I'm not saying bulwark.

4 comments:

fermicat said...

I didn't eat myself into stupification, but I did drink myself into it afterwards. Had my usual "Friday after Thanksgiving wish I was dead hangover" on Friday. I'm fine now. Trying not to think about the next holiday yet.

Beth said...

My Thanksgiving turkey coma has worn off just in time for me to hit my afternoon blahs while at work. What a way for the season to begin; in a constant state of stupification and "huh?"

With an opener like that, I knew this post was going to be comic magic and yes, I was right!

I love giving better than receiving. So many say that can't be true, but when you're a giver, you wonder how it could be any other way. Right?

I love to eat during the holidays. I don't even feel guilty about it. I spend hours slaving away over a hot stuff and by God if I won't enjoy the fruits of my labor!

wa11z said...

Bulwark does sound gay. I'm not gonna say it.

Ben O. said...

Is "turkey fied" a word?

I think it should be regardless.

Ben O.