Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Matters of Etiquette

Quote of the day: “Politeness and consideration for others is like investing pennies and getting dollars back.” ~Thomas Sowell

Song of the day: “Blue Skies for Everyone” by B. Schneider

State of mind: a little confused

Date: 9/26/07 (Full Moon)

Say you were throwing a party. You didn’t have all the details yet, but you expressed to a large group of folks that you intended on having one and that they were all invited. Say you were invited to a gathering that was to take place before that party and the person that invited you also invited someone special. Because of a miscommunication, the special person called you about the gathering and was confused about how many people were attending. Being the helpful sort, you tell them who would be there. This special person is shy and doesn’t want to be surrounded by so many people but you really want to meet this person, because of all the special-ness. And you’re having a party! But oh, it’s also open to the very same people that will be at the gathering that the special person doesn’t want to meet with. What do you do?
I know what I would do. But I’m curious how others would handle the situation first before I post what I would do, and what happened.

21 comments:

fermicat said...

I'm still confused, and that is even after reading about this at SSD. Wish I could help you, but I am at a loss.

wa11z said...

Where is this up at SSD? I couldn't find it. However, this is what I would do...

I would call my friend Wa11z and ask him to be my wingman even though I was a chick (the ladies need a wingman and Wa11z obliges). Then about halfway through the night (and some wine coolers) I would realize that he was the one I was really interested in (much like a John Hughes flick)and forget about shy dude and maybe kiss Wa11z on the lips (like a Cure song).

NYPinTA said...

Well, I decided to try and write it out from the other persons perspective. I'm still coming up with the same answer on what should have been done though.

John said...

Do one of these people shove fish down their pants? Or have suspicions that someone else does? If so, I've seen this problem before.

trinamick said...

This has me thoroughly confused. Don't get me wrong, that's not unusual, but nonetheless, I'm stumped.

So here's my answer: cancel your party, ditch the other party, and invite the special person to you to watch Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy at your house. Unless, of course, that special person is Nathan Fillion. Then you won't need a movie to keep you busy.

trinamick said...

Dude, what's up with your banner?

NYPinTA said...

What's it doing? I see it. Still there. Unless it's paying innocent.

trinamick said...

Well, it's back today. Yesterday, it was showing a funky icon that said the photo was no longer stored at that site. All's right with the world now.

LL said...

Don't you mean all's right with the moon now?

As for what I'd do...

Why... I'd allow YOU to make the choice yourself.

Isn't that what I was supposed to say after reading your previous entry? ;)

Bif said...

I vote for Trinamick's solution. Is this a riddle or a real problem?

NYPinTA said...

Real problem. One that I think I know how it happened, I'm just still baffled that people can justify doing what they did. Maybe I'll explain later. If anyone cares.

trinamick said...

Of course, we want details. I don't want to die in the shower of an aneurysm.

If it weren't my horse, I'd never have spent that year in college.

LL said...

Ehem...

If it weren't for my horse, I'd have never spent that year in college.

Boy... I sure wish I knew what was going on too PinTA... ;)

trinamick said...

How do you know it wasn't my horse? Hmph.

John said...

If it weren't for my weird little immigrant friend, I never would have spent those two years in college.

Beth said...

I know I already commented. I read this and agreed with Trinamick, but I am SO wanting to know what this is about and how it all ended up. Will you recap? I've read this post three times now so am kind of involved in the story, it seems. =)

Beth said...

And what's an SSD?

NYPinTA said...

I think wallz was refering to Sci Fi Straight Dope where a lot of us post. I think you should stop by. We talk about all sorts of genre shows. Click the three little blue aliens in my sidebar.

I'll post the whole story soon. It's long. And venty.

Beth said...

Long and venty is good. Can't wait! (seriously too into this story at this point ... you put me on one of those cliff hangers)

Beth said...

I am going to check it out too ... the sci-fi straight dope.

NYPinTA said...

Careful though, Lord Loser is there too. ;)