Monday, August 20, 2007

Blog Busters

Quote of the day: “Mirrors should reflect a little before throwing back images.” ~Jean Cocteau

Song of the day: Reflection by Tool

State of mind: Full

Date: 8/20/07

Some of you may have noticed that I have not been blogging with the same regularity as I have in the past. No, I didn’t have an epiphany like our nearly dead Trinamick, nor is it because I’m a John-like slacker. Mostly it’s because life- as of late- has been sucking. A life that sucks isn’t a whole lot of fun to read about, much less write about. Or live, actually. There are several reasons for the latest bout of raw suckage, but I didn’t want my blog to become whine central. The moon isn’t made of enough cheese to go with it.
So what should I write about, if not about me? Aren’t I the most fascinating thing in my life?
Well. Yes actually. Infinitely fascinating. Why else would I have a blog? Besides to pimp the latest Whedonesque goodness that he has bestowed upon the world. (Like, for instance, the Special Edition of his most excellent movie Serenity. You all should buy it. Multiple copies.) In fact, I find myself so fascinating that I’ve been trying to really figure out why I am the way that I am. All these years I assumed it was just dumb luck. Well. No.
I could give you the play by play of my journey of self discovery, (which isn’t as dirty as some of you are imagining. So stop it. Thanks.) But after much soul searching, googling, and book reading it turns out I am a slightly ADHD, Cultural Creative, Adult Child of an Alcoholic, American Buddhist, Chocoholic, Triple Virgo, Environmentalist, Bibliophile, Card Carrying Sci Fi Geek, Metal Head, Democrat, with Delusions of Grandeur.
Well, ok... I’m making up that last one. The rest, true. And it isn’t as fun as it sounds. However, finding out that some of the reasons I am as fucked up as I am and finding out those reasons have nothing to do with DNA is a bit of a relief. I wasn’t born this way. I was made this way! And that means, some of it can be unmade. Which parts, I haven’t completely decided. But I have a feeling it’s going to take a while and I’m wondering if any of it’s going to be interesting enough to bother writing about. We’ll see.
In the mean time, I want to introduce everyone to a fun book I read recently. As anyone who is a member of a fandom (and I know a lot of you are!) this book is for you. It’s called, “Will the Vampire People Please Leave the Lobby” by Allyson Beatrice. She’s a member of Whedonesque.com. I’ve never had the pleasure of chit chatting with her online, but she might as well have been me when she wrote this book. Except she’s funnier. (The nerve!) It doesn’t matter that this book is written about the fandom that surrounded Buffy the Vampire Slayer and I’ve never once posted on a Buffy board. And it won’t matter to anyone that has become a member of any community online because you will recognize yourself- and you will be pleased. Check it out. If you don’t want to buy it, borrow it. Steal it. I don’t care. But it’s a hilarious read, so get you hands on it somehow.

Show quote of the day: “Hello. Vampire. I'm supposed to be treading on the dark side. What's your excuse?”

10 comments:

LL said...

So that's what the class was... ;)

"Delusions of Grandeur"

I can see that.

"I’m wondering if any of it’s going to be interesting enough to bother writing about."

Has that ever stopped any blogger before?

fermicat said...

Show me someone (besides Joss Whedon) who isn't fucked up? I think everybody is to some degree. Not everybody has the courage to try to make themselves better though.

I wish you luck on your journey. :-) I bet you'll still find some things to write about...

mr. schprock said...

Your readers can stand a little whining, so go ahead. It might help.

John said...

"Show me someone (besides Joss Whedon) who isn't fucked up?"

I'm pretty on the level.

NYPinTA said...

On the level of what?

Beth said...

I agree with letting it all out. I don't think I've ever known a blogger posting who wasn't fucked up. We're all fucked up ... just in different ways. You are not alone and I do miss you posting. From one Serenity fan to another.

trinamick said...

An epiphany? That's what I had? And all this time I thought it was an apostrophe. I've got to get me a dictionary.

John said...

On the level of perfectly normal. Last week my left hand dislocated and sort of shifted up wards like bone on my palm at the base of my thumb was sitting on top of my wristbone, and it stayed that way for 3-5 seconds. It settled back into where it's supposed to be, by my hand felt weird for two days afterwards. Is that so strange?

NYPinTA said...

Yes.

LL said...

You know... I'm not one to usually agree with PinTA, but...