Friday, June 29, 2007

‘Verse-centric news and Waitress vs. 300

Quote of the day: "I don't believe that there are aliens. I believe there are really different people." ~Orson Scott Card.

Song of the day: “Over the Hills and Far Away” by Led Zeppelin

State of mind: Full

Date: 6/29/07

I’m in a verse-centric kind of mood today. Lots going on. Lots in my head.
Cool news for anyone with some disposable income, (meaning not me): Joss Whedon is auctioning himself off to benefit Equality Now. Five lucky bidders get to have dinner with him at Comicon this year in San Diego. That’s pretty damn nifty if you ask me.
I finally watched my DVD of Done The Impossible. Fun stuff. It's filled with fan angst about FOX’s idiotic canceling of Firefly and a dash of ‘nya nya’ at getting a movie out of it. I saw a few familiar faces, as well as most of the cast. Made me a little nostalgic for the days when I thought that we all might get a little more of the ‘verse on the big (or little) screen. Now? Not so much. However, there are more comics coming. So… yay? Yeah, I guess so.
The last two episodes of Drive will be airing July 4th. Yeah. The day everyone is inside just looking for something to watch on TV. Whatever. But I had my little moment of Drive goodness because the Drive for the Cure is here today. One BMW, one open road, one tiny foot to the floor. Woo Hoo! Sometimes, I really like my job.
And now I am finally going to publish my other review of Waitress. Sure it’s a bit of a repeat, but it’s been a crazy couple of days I don’t feel like coming up with something new.
Yes, this review is over a month late, but the film is going in a slow wide release and probably isn’t playing in most cities yet anyhow so does it really matter? I mean, geez. Get off my back already.
So. The movie. And what I thought of it… Wait. I don’t want to talk about just Waitress. It occurs to me that this movie and another that I saw about two months ago have some things in common. I’m talking about 300. Yes. 300.
“Similar?” you ask, skeptical. I understand, but my answer is, “Yep”.
Both, when you get right down to it, are about freedom and strength. Maybe no one was wielding a sword in Waitress, or walking around in those ab-revealing costumes, … although, if a certain Doc had donned one I wouldn’t have complained… but like the Spartan Queen, Jenna has to find the strength to overcome a weasel of a foe and forge her own future. Also, neither the Spartan Queen nor Jenna have much about them that is maternal, until it really matters. Sort of. That is if you consider the citizens of Sparta the Queen’s “children”, and her maternal instinct the ability to skewer someone with a sword. Which I do. Which probably explains why I don’t have kids.
Unlike 300, the movie Waitress is sweet. Like pie. And sincere. Like people who make pie. (For some reason I can’t imagine someone that will spend all day making a pastry and fruit dessert as being duplicitous. I don’t know why that is, but it is.)
I took my mother to a special Mother’s Day screening which entitled us to free gift bags. In it were a lipstick, body lotion, and anti frizz hair crème. I think the hair crème may have been inspired by the fact that in quite a few scenes, Keri Russell’s hair was less than smooth. Could be because her character had been running from place to place late for work and looking like she hadn’t had time to brush her hair, or had been mussed by the very yummy Doc in a serious make out session- which, by the way, looked a little painful actually. I mean they were just attacking each other! Someone had to have chipped a tooth, that’s all I’m saying. Later, they calm down, at least in so much as the kissing didn’t look dangerous.
And like 300, good triumphed over arrogant… but with way much less bloodshed. Or abs. Nice flat abs. Mmmmm.

Tomorrow: Lord of the Rings! I'll be watching all three movies in one day at the Palace Theater! Yay!

Edit: I look the quiz that Fermi had on her blog and go this:
You Are 82% Burned Out

You are extremely burned out.
You work too hard, and you're not getting the results you deserve.
It's time for a life change, as soon as you can manage it.
You're giving away most of your energy to something you don't even enjoy.


Yep.

Show quote of the day: “… I wasn’t always a gardener.”

5 comments:

LL said...

82%? Wow... nothing like leading a fulfilling life now is there. No wonder you're into crusty old guys...

fermicat said...

OK, 300 is not the movie I would have guessed would be just like Waitress. But I haven't seen 300, so I don't know what I'm talking about.

Tomorrow: LOTR trilogy all at once? Cool!!! We could do that at home with our DVDs. Maybe we should. :)

ctheokas said...

There's an article over on Slate.com about 300, titled "If I like 300, does that mean I'm gay?" And the answer is yes, yes you are.

wa11z said...

I like 300 and I'm not gay. I would also like to chip my tooth in a makeout session with NYPinTA...

NYPinTA said...

While watching LOTRs again on that giant beautiful screen the thought popped in my head about how freaking cool seeing 300 on it would be! I need to win the lotto so I can buy the place. You all are invited!

I would also like to chip my tooth in a makeout session with NYPinTA... Well, when you put it so romantically... ;P