Thursday, June 07, 2007

Inutile and Utile.

Quote of the day: "Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else." ~Someone unique, but I don’t know who. (I think it's a Zen thing. Those nuts!)

Song of the day: “Gimmie, gimmie, gimmie” as performed by A Perfect Circle

State of mind: Like an ADHD afflicted child on the playground swing set. Back and forth, back and forth, back and… hey, what’s that!?

Date: 6/7/07

Drop down menus are the work of the devil. There is no other explanation for their existence. Why else would someone program a page that allows me to enter in my own name, street address, city and zip but assumes that I’m too stupid to know my own two letter state abbreviation? Thank you, Mr. Page Programmer, for listing all the choices for every state so that I have to stop typing, lift my hand off the keyboard, scroll down and find the proper abbreviation on the list, and click it. That is so much easier than hitting the N and then the Y and going on my merry way to the next field. And why is it that in these list fields if you try typing it in yourself, instead of narrowing down the choices with each successive letter, it flips to the choices that start with the second letter, and the third- if applicable, and so on. It’s an inutile way of shortening what was an already short function. Way to slow the process!

Also annoying are the fields that only allow a certain number of alphanumeric digits. I understand the need for restriction… Actually, I don’t. What’s the point? Saving space on the page? What bothers me about them most is when the cursor automatically shifts to the next field and you can’t back space into the previous one. It’s another case of having to stop in the middle of typing just to use the stupid mouse to move the cursor where you want it to be. Quoi que.

Some utile things:

Because I don’t want to be as useless as a drop down menu, I’ve got three random tips or ‘good things’ to share today. They are just a few things that I noticed as I was walking out the door that might be fun or could come in handy for anyone else.

1) The other day I was in the stationary store (which is just as addictive for me as bookstores) and I picked up a packet of those re-usable adhesive tabs that separate and label papers in a binder. I purchased them for that reason but I discovered they make fantastic bookmarks. Because they are small I can even place it next to the last paragraph I read in case I have to stop in the middle of a chapter. And if I move the book, they won’t slip out like normal cardboard bookmarks sometimes do.
2) In the apartment I am currently renting, there is not a lot of closet space. There isn’t a lot of non-closet space either actually. Since I don’t have much room to keep all the things that make me pretty, (and I need a lot), I bought an extra over the door shoe holder and put it on the back of my bathroom door. I use it to keep everything off the counter in the bathroom and out of the miniscule medicine cabinet. (By the way, I did read somewhere that you shouldn’t keep prescription medicines in the medicine cabinet because of the temperature and moisture variances that occur in bathrooms. Just an FYI. ) I have everything up on the wall in the see through pouches so it keeps it organized and out of my way. I even have things arranged in a semi life sized scale of me. Hairbrushes on top, face creams and toothpaste in the next row, foot scrubs on the bottom. (Never you mind what is in the middle.)
3) Lastly, here is a new fun time summer drink. In an attempt at stocking the fridge with healthy beverage options, I bought some V8 Splash fruit drink. It’s all right. Oddly, it has a better after taste than actual taste. To make it more palatable, and more like my usual non-healthy beverages of choice, I combined half a glass of V8 Splash with half a glass of Canada Dry Ginger Ale. If you want to make it even funner add a good glug of raspberry vodka. Just make sure you don’t have to be anywhere that requires getting behind the wheel anytime soon after.

Well, there you have it, a little yin and yang for the ol’ blog today. That’s the kind of mood I’m in.

June 8th Edit: If the weather cooperates today, DVDs of both the movie Serenity and the most excellent and very cancelled show Firefly will be headed to the ISS! For more information and links to NASA TV to watch the launce on your 'puter go here.

Show quote of the day: “I think I speak for everyone in the room when I say, 'huh?'”

5 comments:

trinamick said...

To me, all V8 Splash tastes like mashed up carrots. Maybe if I added tequila...

NYPinTA said...

Now you're thinking! With enough tequila, maybe the PT sessions won't hurt so much.

fermicat said...

I used to have all my medicine cabinet stuff in an over-the-door shoe hanger, too. It was in my linen closet across from the bathroom. It was a great way to organize everything, and the pockets were clear plastic so you could see what was in them.

I'm addicted to a fruity vodka drink called a 'pineapple upside down cake'. It has vanilla vodka, pineapple juice, and a splash of grenadine. Yummmmmmm.

mr. schprock said...

All of your points and tips are excellent, especially the one about having to stop everything to scroll down to the state. I think it's a case of programmers doing something just because they can.

Everytime I buy a ticket to a show or ballgame, I think "this ticket stub will make a hell of a bookmark!" So far I have 237 bookmarks, so I don't think I'll be using your bookmark idea any time soon. But it is a good one.

LL said...

So I'm confused...

Does this mean you've got an innie or an utie? ;)