Wednesday, June 13, 2007

8 is great. Do not debate the greatness of 8.

Quote of the day: “Facts are stupid things.” ~Ronald Reagan

Song of the day: “Superhero” by Ani Difranco

State of mind: reflective

Date: June 13, 2007

1) The number 8 is actually my favorite. Could it be because my birthday falls on the 8th? Or because it’s an infinity sign sideways? I’m not sure.
2) Beethoven’s 9th makes me laugh. His Ode to Joy has that way about it, especially when it gets to the overpowering choral near the end. I think you all know the part I mean. That bit starts up and hits with its full force, (usually because my speakers are at full blast in my car), and I just start laughing my fool head off. I’m sure that is a comfort to all the drivers in upstate NY.
3) Apparently I am a “Cultural Creative”. I found this out from a book I bought the weekend before last. Finally, I am defined.
4) I have no impulse control in bookstores. For an example, see number 3. I found the book and on a complete whim I bought it. In just the past few weeks alone these are a few of the books I have added to my collection:
Stardust, by Neil Gaimen
New Zen for Women, by Perle Besserman
Children of Hurin, by JRR Tolkien… sort of.
Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene
Utopia by Thomas More
Spunk & Bite by Arthur Plotnik
Inner Drives by Pamela Jaye Smith
Wizard of Menlo Park by Randall E. Stross
Blink by Malcolm Gladwell
Starman Jones by Heinlein
Firefly Visual Companion Part II (Complete with a picture of Nathan Fillion, Mark Sheppard, and Alan Tudyk at B3.)
GHOSTS OF THE ETO: American Tactical Deception Units in the European Theater, 1944 – 1945 by Jonathan Gawne

5) When I am stressed I like to get in my car and drive around and sing really loud. I could go hike or sit and relax at the park, but this car/singing stress reliever is reserved for those times when I am too stressed to even think about what is stressing me. My favorite CDs to sing along too? Fiona Apple, Poe, Sara McLaughlin, and Metallica. What can I say? James Hetfield & I have the same vocal range.
6) I can’t snap. I’ve tried many many times. My fingers just won’t make that noise.
7) Right now my toes on my left foot are all painted bright purple. The toes on my right are pale pink with sparkles. I have been wearing open toed shoes all week and no one has commented on the polish discrepancy. Of course, it is possible that they all have seen me driving down the road laughing manically to myself and figure it’s best not to confront me about such a senseless little thing.
8) I love thunderstorms. I am not stealing this fact from trinamick.

So. Now you all know me better. I’m not going to tag anyone since I think everyone has already been. That’s what I get for being such a slow poke, huh?

Show quote of the day: “I like him. He says okie dokie.”

13 comments:

trinamick said...

I can't snap my fingers on my newly gimpy hand. But then again, I can barely touch my thumb and 2nd finger together so far either.

I haven't read any of those books. Do you actually read the backs of books before buying, or you judge the book by its cover? Cuz you shouldn't do that, ya know.

NYPinTA said...

Yep. I read the back. The inside of the dust jacket. I flip through the pages and start reading it right there in the aisle. And then buy them.
Unless it's one of the books I ordered from Amazon.com or one of the many stupid book clubs I belong too. In those instances it is total cover judgement. (I'm such a risk taker!)

fermicat said...

Your toes are purple and sparkly pink? The entire toe? ;-) I don't think I could stand to be uneven/asymmetric. I'd have to do an every other toenail pattern or something.

I look at the book blurbs, but also try some books just because they have a good customer rating on Amazon. I like their 'year's best' lists they put out at the end of the year. I've found some decent music that way.

wa11z said...

So you went from monkey brain to cultural creative. That's a big jump. I also have an impulse control problem in bookstores and I also drive and listen to music to relieve stress. I don't paint my toenails. Also, I think I have a crush on you.

LL said...

EWWWWWWWWWW!!! A crush on PinTA? Oh man, where's the mental chlorox when you need it...

Although I would pay real money to hear you blast out Damage Inc.

Beth said...

Now that's funny. I am not an impulse shopper, but I have to be very careful in used bookstores. That's my equivalent of a mall to a teenager. I always scour for classic 1st editions.

John said...

I thought your toes were supposed to be in that order? Are there people with really long pinky toes? Actually I don't want to know. Feet kinda creep me out.

John said...

Oh yea, I can't snap either. Never could. But I can clap with one hand, because my fingers are really long.

ctheokas said...

Don't listen to LL, Wa11z!!! I think every red-blooded American male who visits this blog (and has seen her pics) has a crush on PinTA. You'd have to be blind, dead and stupid not to!

trinamick said...

"But I can clap with one hand, because my fingers are really long."

You'd be excellent at milking cows.

LL said...

I think you'll have to ask Michele about that KTM, not that I'm calling her a cow or anything... :ewink:

mr. schprock said...

I totally understand wanting to buy a lot of books, but what happens after a while is that you accumulate a huge pile of books with fewer and fewer places to put them. I always check the library first.

Aren't they making a movie out of Stardust?

NYPinTA said...

It's already been made and is due to be released in August. I'm looking forward to it!

I've been meaning to make use of the local library more and my credit card much less. I guess this is why you have a house and I don't. ;)