Thursday, December 21, 2006

Happy Holidays and the 3 things that went right.

Quote of the day: “Nothing says Christmas like a lung fungus.” Agent Booth, Bones

Song of the day: “Wreck of the Day” by Anna Nalick

State of mind: still off

Date: 12/21/06 (Winter Solstice Eve!)

I’ve been remiss lately about recounting the adventure that is my life. It’s the holidays and despite the fact that I don’t have any extravagant plans for them, everything still seems to become hectic and confusing. I haven’t even mailed my Christmas cards yet. Nor put up my tree. This holiday just sort of snuck up on me. I’m usually much more organized than this… but I’ve never taken a vacation in the middle of December before either.
On the plus side, I no longer have a fear of airports. Yay me.
Still have the fear of spiders and pressurized gas fed open flames however. Boo.
Here are some things that I wanted to pimp because I spent a lot of money getting ready for my vacation and these are the few things that went right.
1) Nads. Unfortunate name. Sounds like something you get from an encounter with a skank after a night of heavy drinking. What it is though is a hair removing gel. Looks like green goo. Acts like green goo. Doesn’t really hurt though.
2) Zen Creative mp3 player. As I stated before, I love mine. I got the 2 gig. It’s supposed to hold up to 1000 songs. “Up to” being the operative phrase. It will, but only if you burn songs at the lowest available bit rate. Don’t do that. The songs will have sudden and inexplicable missing beats. Some people might be able to deal with that, but I can’t. It will hold about 300-400 high quality songs.
3) US Air. They were my carriers to and from California. I like flying. I love take off and watching the ground go by out the window. I hate the noise, but that’s what the mp3 player is for! They were easy to deal with and didn’t lose my luggage. True story: on Monday I was sitting in the lobby of the hotel waiting to take a shuttle to the airport for my really really late flight out of Burbank to Las Vegas when I got a call at around 6:30 that they knew my plane wasn’t going to be ready in time and so had to put me on a direct flight out of LAX to Philly so I could make my connecting flight to Albany. Luckily I was just across the street so it only took a few minutes to get to the airport. I walked up to the counter without having to wait, (the Burbank airport is so tiny!) and the woman behind the counter already had my tickets and a shuttle certificate all ready to go. They gave me a ride to LAX and I only had to wait about a half hour before I got on my plane to Philly. I even got upgraded to First Class. Woo hoo. But by that time, I was already getting sick so I didn’t partake of the free booze. Stupid head cold. My only complaint is that they changed the gates for my connection to Albany but was still showing it at the original gate on the screens when I checked. I sat at the wrong gate for about 20 minutes before I realized anything was wrong and the gate they moved my flight to was on the other end of that part of the airport! Not so much fun when you’re exhausted and coming down with a cold.

Well, that’s about it. 3 things. But I recall reading somewhere that if at the end of the day you can recall 3 things that went right or made you happy during the day you will be a happier person overall. Let’s all give that a try and you can tell me if it’s working.

Next up: my 2007 “To Do” list. Brought to you by the letter F.

Also, a woman at work recommended this series by Peter Hamilton… anyone want to back up her kudos?

5 comments:

LL said...

So a whole weekend and 3 things went right...

Sounds about average.

fermicat said...

USAir isn't too popular down here. They're trying to take over our beloved Delta Airlines! That is just wrong.

trinamick said...

I've only flown once, and that was Southwest. They didn't lose my luggage, but my friend didn't get hers back for three days.

Beth said...

I just my son and husband iPods for Christmas. My daughter and I have iPod cellphones. I wonder if that bitrate thing you're talking about is why my husband has cut-off songs. I'll have to check into that.

Farrago said...

I'm a late-comer to your blog, though I've seen your comments frequently on Trina's and Schprock's posts (I linked here from Trina's. Blame her). I hope you have made/will make stops in to my blog from time to time.

If you have stopped in, you'll know that I travel quite frequently. And if you haven't stopped in, I travel quite frequently. I hate US Airways. Wait...let me rephrase that... I HATE US Airways.

I have a 3rd generation iPod. I think they're on generation 11 by now...