Friday, November 03, 2006

Why Won’t Wizards Wash? And other stuff.

Quote of the day: “Fear Nothing” Gold OIO Card

Song of the Day: “Twisted Transistor” by Korn

State of mind: divided

Date: 11/03/06

Well, my cat finally came home with me yesterday. Turns out his final tally for total health is 977 dollars. Yep, dollars! That’s nine hundred and seventy seven Wendy’s Jr. Bacon Cheeseburgers. Yikes. As soon as he was able to get out of his carrier he went and hid, but that didn’t last nearly as long as I thought it would. I didn’t think I would see him for a month but he came right back out making all sorts of noise because he was so hungry because he didn’t eat much while with the vet. When I picked him up I couldn’t believe how light he felt. He was practically half the cat I had just a few days ago! Once he ate he wouldn’t leave my side. All night he was on my lap and when I went to bed he was turning himself inside out trying to get as close to me as he could. It was sweet, except for how annoying it was. But I let him get away with it, just for one night, because he’s had such a hard time for the past week.

I’m stunned that it is November already. I have just over a month till Flanvention and I am starting to freak out a tiny smidge. In an effort to make myself even more fabulous for the shindig, I fell for TV advertising and decided to try Proactive. It isn’t that I have horrible skin, but it still could always be better and not to sound like an infomercial, but the stuff really does work! My face feels like silk.

I have finally finished all of the Harry Potter books that are available at this time and I have to say, they were good. Not as heart wrenching as some others have claimed, but that might be because I got spoiled by a few key moments and so they didn’t effect me quite as much as I’m sure they did others. My one question is: Why does Snape always have greasy hair? Are there no baths at Hogwarts? Have they not invented magical showers?? It seems that in order to be a wizard, you have to accept a certain amount of dirt and clutter to be a constant companion in your life. I know that in the “wizarding world” there is no need for electricity and cars, but no need for hygiene either? Even Sirius Black never cleaned up even though he had been out of Azkaban for at least 6 months. Seriously, Sirius, take a bath already!
Of all the books, I would say that The Order of the Phoenix was both the most frustrating and most satisfying. Harry really needs to learn to keep his mouth shut and is sometimes his own worst enemy. Also, he really needs to listen to Hermione more. She’s always right, but no one ever seems to listen. The delightful and rewarding things in this book are the Weasley’s, Fred and George especially. They aren’t in the book much but they definitely stole my affections! I dare Voldemort to go up against those two. Their practical jokes would have him so confounded that he could be defeated with ease.
Can’t wait for book 7, but I hope JK Rowlings doesn’t kill Harry. Not because it would be so unfair, but because everyone is predicting it and I don’t think she will be able to end him without it feeling anti-climactic. Maybe she can, but from my perspective as someone who has been spoiled by each and every death in all the books, I know that the emotional impact she will be reaching for won’t be obtained if everyone knows it’s coming. She could kill Snape though. I’d have no problem with that at all.

Latest favorite website: Stuff On My Cat is silly and hilarious and exactly as the address says. Maybe I’ll put all the vet bills on my cat and submit it to the site.

Question of the day: Mice is the plural of mouse in the animal kingdom, but is it the plural form when you have more then one computer mouse?

Show quote of the day:
Dr. Wilson: Beauty often seduces us on the road to truth.
Dr. Gregory House: And triteness kicks us in the nads

8 comments:

LL said...

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and say that the show quote is from House M.D.

Just a guess, but...

wa11z said...

Why are you going to a convention for flan? It's okay as a desert, I guess, but a convention?

fermicat said...

Stuff On My Cat is hilarious! I still miss the now-defunct "Cliffy B's Cat Scan" site, where people would literally place their cat on their scanners and scan them. Some of the scans were downright artistic. But some looked like the feline version of sitting on a copier...

ctheokas said...

I kind of like that as the HP books go along Harry acts more and more like a teenager. Book five was great about that. And you're right, they should listen to Hermione, but how many teenagers take good advice when they hear it? Anyway, I don't think Harry's going to die anymore because of the speculation. But maybe he'll lose a limb.

Beth said...

They do have a shower/bath. Remember Harry taking a bath with Moaning Myrtle?

I've read all the books. I read them within a week of them being out. (embarrassing factoid)

I'll be glad when it's over though. I think Rowling has had a ghostwriter for the last few books so that's why the style changed so dramatically. This is very common in series publications. The writer shoots their wad on the first book and ghostwriters come in with ideas and whatnot to finish it off.

The first book is miles apart in writing technique and even vocabulary than the rest. So, I think she did what so many suddenly famous writers do -- let others do the job for her.

I'm glad your cat is all right, but wow, I wouldn't pay that much for me. And now I want to try Proactiv. I don't have breakouts, but my face is feeling ruddy lately. Wonder if it would help.

NYPinTA said...

Well sure Harry knows how to take a bath. He's been living with muggles for most of his life. But notice how those who grew up in the wizarding world are a lot less... clean. They just seem to thrive in chaos and clutter! And never wash their damn hair!!

And I must say I was shocked to see this phrase: The writer shoots their wad... in your comment! LOL!!

LL said...

You need to get your mind out of the gutter P...

Do I need to explain where that's derived from too? ;)

Kathleen said...

I agree with you about HP, but like Beth I've read them all (except the first three which I still read before most people knew they existed) the day they came out.

I hope you're right about her not killing off HP as that'll tick me off.

I've spent that kind of money on my cats before so I understand completely. And for the record, it was completely worth it.