Monday, November 06, 2006

Repelling Invasion

Quote of the day: “Life feeds on life....feeds on life feeds on life...this is necessary....this is necessary life feeds on life....feeds on life.” ~ Maynard James Keenan

Song of the day: “Right In Two” by Tool

State of mind: eh

Date: November 6, 2006 (One month and a day till Flanvention!)

I think I’m coming down with something. Hopefully not the flu, but I definitely do not feel right. But if I were going to get sick I’d rather do it now then a month from now.
My plan was to do all my laundry and finally organize all the paper stuff I have. Car repairs, vet bills, credit card statements, insurance forms… and I have three shoe boxes of photos to put in order and 6 photo albums to fill. I also have a tendency to collect notebooks that are just filled with junk; project ideas and other scrawlings that for some reason I can’t part with. Plus there are the bunch of birthday/holiday/no really occasion cards that I’ve gotten that I’d like to save, but I don’t know what to do with them. And of course the ever present catalogs.
Well, that was the plan. Didn’t quite work out that way.
I did watch a couple of movies however: SLiTHER and Kingdom of Heaven. Both are about saving a place from an invading horde. Of course in one film the enemy are a bunch of slimy slugs that turn people into raw meat eating zombies with bad skin. Of the two, SLiTHER is most definitely the grosser but not as gross as I feared. And it’s funny.
A small town in North Carolina is being invaded by an ages old alien parasite that has infested the town’s richest citizen, who is also a bit of an ass. He is married to Starla, the crush of the town’s new Chief of police Bill Pardy. Zombies are created, things get shot, and hilarity ensues.
Kingdom of Heaven is not funny at all, but I don’t think it was supposed to be. Everyone is deadly serious all of the time. I don’t think anyone smiles. Ever. Liam Neeson plays Godfrey, a knight and baron that comes home to England to find his bastard son Balian, played by Orlando Bloom to convince him to come back with him to Jerusalem and help him keep the current King of Jerusalem safe from evil war mongering Templar Knights because the as it stands at that time, the King has created a city of peace where all faiths are welcome and of course the Templars don’t like that and keep pushing for war. It wasn’t as preachy as I thought it would be, but there is a tinge of preachyness. And for some reason the main “epic battle” for Jerusalem wasn’t as exciting as it could have been. It was actually boring watching countless men get hacked to bits or have arrows shot through there necks. The one thing that did bother me was that the whole mess could have been avoided if Balian had just went along with the King’s plan, but noooooo, he had to be all noble and crap. I did like it more then the critics, but then I am much easier to please.

Oh, and here is a fun read.

Show quote of the day: “You can not prevent what you can not predict.”

4 comments:

LL said...

I’d rather do it now then a month from now.

*sigh* "than" a month from now...

So you couldn't not watch Slither eh? Well... at least now you'll have something to talk about at the Flanvention. ;)

fermicat said...

Was the show quote from Heroes?

I'm waiting for Slither to hit the cable movie channels, and hoping it comes to one of the two that I have. Because I can't NOT watch it -- it stars Nathan "Not Too Old To Be Handsome And Charming" Fillion. Or as I like to think of him, "Cap'n NoPants".

wa11z said...

Nice Tool quote. I told you Slither was funny and gross!

NYPinTA said...

"Was the show quote from Heroes? "

Actually no. Good guess though. :D