Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Juvenile Books and the “Adults” who read them.

Quote of the day: “Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.” ~A t-shirt in the latest of many catalogs.

Song of the day: Days of the New

State of mind: Trying to think positive thoughts.

Date: 10/17/06

So I sat on my ass all weekend, big deal. That is what weekends are for!
I spent a good deal of time trying to get a hold of my sister, but she is still on dial up so if she or either of her kids are on the computer, I can’t get through.
All I wanted to do was ask her how many of the Lemony Snickett books I had sent to her.
I had originally sent the first 3 to my niece, who apparently only reads Harry Potter and Teen People. (Kids these days.) Instead of my then 14-year-old niece reading them, my then 35-year-old sister did… and loved them. She called me up while at work barely able to talk because she was laughing so hard reading the third. She’s a sick woman. So, I sent her the second 3 for last Christmas, and I couldn’t remember if I had sent her any more after that. The reason I was asking is because the 13th and final Lemony Snickett book, cleverly titled “The End”, was released this past Friday the 13th. Eventually I was able to get my nephew on the phone and after bugging him about school and other small talk I asked if he knew which was the last I sent, and his reply surprised me. He told me that I had sent her 1-6, like I had thought, but then went on to say that he had gotten her the rest by checking them out at the library. Isn’t that so sweet? My 11-year-old nephew was checking out books from his grade school library for his mother. Well, the kid saved me some dough, so I was happy. Plus the fact that he was going to the library was a nice bonus.
All of this has nothing to do with why I lounged around this past weekend however.
I relaxed for the past two days because I was reading my own set of books meant for kids that adults managed to take over: Harry Potter. I’m up to The Goblet of Fire. Not surprisingly, they are good. I started them last weekend, but don’t have much time to read during the week so it took me all week to finish the first two. I read the third over the weekend, but I had to sacrifice the time I would have spent doing laundry or the dishes in order to get to the end. I didn’t even watch any TV!! No kidding!
I have already seen the movies though, so there weren’t any surprises and I doubt there will be any with the 4th book either, so I am looking forward to getting to the 5th and 6th since those movies haven’t been made yet. Although, when the 5th book came out I saw it on display, picked it up, and it fell open right at the page that a significant character died. Kind of ruins that surprise, but I’m sure there are still plenty more waiting for me.
And lastly in the juvenile book news, I also read The Softwire: Virus on Orbis 1 in about a day, (again ignoring most household chores to do so.) There are plenty of similarities with Harry Potter except that the hero of this story is named JT, is the only child that has a family in the form of one mute sister, and instead of going to a fantastic school full of wonder and adventure, ends up being sold into slavery in an alien system that surrounds a wormhole. Sure, he has his plucky sidekicks that help him save Orbis 1 from a menacing threat and there is a Dumbeldore like character in the from of one of the Keepers- an alien race that has partial control of Orbis- but he has ulterior motives for being more benevolent to JT then any of the others. But you’ll have to read it to find out why.
After I’m done reading books meant for tweens and teens, (Hey, if 50 is the new 30 then I’m only 14!!), I plan on moving up the age scale a bit with some Neil Gaimen. I got Anansi Boys the other day and it sits on the table next to my favorite chair in the living room just waiting for me. Underneath it is Ruled Britannia by Harry Turtledove. I’ve been on an altered history kick lately. It started with The DaVinci Code, (which I waited forever to be released in paperback, but finally gave in and got it in hardcover last year), and continued with The Last Templar, The Historian, even the Traveler. The last book that is waiting patiently (for me to grow up) is Warped Passages: Unraveling the Mysteris of the Universe’s Hidden Dimension by Lisa Randall. After that, I might finally have time to get to all the books Fermicat has recommended.

Show quote of the day: Tasteful floral dresses? All my florals are trampy. Seriously, I don't have a thing with a flower that's not in the tube top or hot pant family.

8 comments:

ctheokas said...

Wait wait wait. You read The Traveller? Perhaps the worst book of this young 21st Century? NYPinTA, did you not read my review on Amazon.com?

NYPinTA said...

Yep. I did read it. It wasn't that great technically but the story idea was cool and I liked most of the characters, and didn't like the ones I was supposed to not like. It wasn't so good I'll re-read it, but it kept me interested. I included it on the list of 'alternate history' because the book brought forth the idea that certain people from our history were something different, or more then what everyone is taught- so it counted.
And I must have missed your review. Was it scathing? Snarky? I love those!

LL said...

Good for you. I'm glad that you did nothing productive this weekend. Someone has to make up for all the time I miss doing that.

fermicat said...

I also have an unread copy of Anansi Boys. I'll read it sometime soon, but jumped on my just-released copy of The Machine's Child by Kage Baker, because I've been waiting for it to get published so see what happens next in The Company novels. I have the first Harry Potter novel, and I know it is good and I will like it, but I never seem to get around to reading it. Some day I will get a bad case of flu or something worse, and then I will sit around and read for days. Maybe I will finally get caught up then. Is it wrong to wish for a sick day? I never take sick days, usually. No matter what, I go to work. Maybe one day I should stay home and read. It could happen. Yeah!

wa11z said...

Lemony Snicket is so much fun to read. I actually met him and he is really funny in person, too. Anansi Boys is on my nightstand as well. Very soon I will read it. Gaiman just had another come out. Better hurry.

trinamick said...

I haven't read any of the books you mentioned. I've been on a bit of a Patricia Cornwell/Janet Evanovich kick lately.

And I watch too much TV. But we won't talk about that.

Beth said...

I am one of those classic literature snobs who made fun of adults who read Harry Potter until I actually ran out of books to read and grabbed the first book of Harry from my daughter's room ... I loved it. I've read every one. I've read all the Lemony Snicket's as well and loved them. The last one is either out or coming out soon. Can't wait!

NYPinTA said...

Janet Evanovich My mother loves the Stephanie Plum books. They just crack her up.

I had the Harry Potter books sitting on my shelf for quite a while and never got around to them, but the other day I just decided they couldn't sit there unread any longer.
I'll probably get the Snickett books and read them too.