Friday, October 06, 2006

Joss Whedon Never Said Never about Serenity.

Quote of the day: "The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy

Song of the day: “Serenity” by Godsmack

State of mind: tired, a little annoyed, but glad it’s Friday.

Date: 10/06/06

Wow is the Internet so damn speedy when it comes to spreading false information! I shouldn’t be surprised, but yet I always am. Of all the things that people get wrong this is probably pretty low in priority for some, but I am trying to send out correct information for two reasons:

1)It just goes to show that you can’t trust anything you read on the net and you should do your own investigation of pretty much anything and everything. In fact, don’t even believe what you read on this blog here. Especially when I say something like, “oh, and I’ll have a funny story for you all in a day or two.” Have they ever actually been funny?
2)It deals with Serenity. And I can’t let that go.

Once upon a time someone with an LJ posted about his good fortune of meeting Joss Whedon in London outside a comic book store. Or a gaming store… whatever that is. Anyhow, in his post he said that a comment by Mr. Whedon seemed to indicate that there was a Serenity sequel in the works. That got people’s hopes up which of course Mr. Whedon had to slap down. (He’s kind of a bastard for things like that. And for other Wash/telephone pole like things.) On Whedonesque.com Mr. Whedon posted in response to the LJ story with this:

Hi boys and odd, smooth, compellingly bumpy non-boys. I'm in Liverpool, on Alexis' lap... sorry, laptop, checking in and seeing all sorts of nonsense about a sequel to something. I did run into someone at Forbidden Planet, and he said something about that I ought to make more things, possibly art things, and I agreed. He didn't know the fellow I was with was Brian Hitch but it was 'cause I'm so, yeah, awesome. Yes, Warren and Natalie and Brian and I had dinner, after nattering on for SFX at the hotel (I like that mag) and it was blazingly fun. They're all three multitalented, urbane, and surprisingly sweet. I'm none of those things but I came the farthest so they had to be nice. BUT...There's no sequel, no secret project regarding Serenity or some such and I'm not even sure how anyone thought there was talk there. I've seen Nathan and Tim (and Summer and Alan) recently because they're my friends because I'm so, yeah, awesome. So let's put that to bed and smother it with a pillow.Fun fact: Didn't read the thread, but as for James playing Shinzon: that's the reason he left for darkest Africa at the end of season six. We were giving him the time off to do the film. When it didn't happen, the course was already set. But he got a nifty soul and that worked out okay.Oh, and I heard Marvel pushed back X-Men 18? I've delivered 19, and Johnny's working steadily, so blame the marketplace. In fact, overturn the marketplace, the way Jesus did when he was cranky about that thing that time.

Rolling in Kittens, -j.

Guess which part of that post then got cut and quoted by several “news” websites with headlines that Joss Whedon had rung the death knell for all things Firefly/Serenity?
If you guessed the part about Jesus overturning marketplaces, then you would be wrong. No, they quoted this:
There's no sequel, no secret project regarding Serenity or some such and I'm not even sure how anyone thought there was talk there. I've seen Nathan and Tim (and Summer and Alan) recently because they're my friends because I'm so, yeah, awesome. So let's put that to bed and smother it with a pillow.

Where in that does it say “ever”? I don’t see it. Do you? Maybe they didn’t have their glasses on and saw the word EVEN and mistook that N for an R. What bothers me the most is that the sites that put up articles didn’t even bother to find out what the whole quote was or in what context it was made. How hard would that really be? How much time does it take to click a link and read a post? What else are they getting wrong???
So, the man had to once again post to clarify his clarification in a totally clear way:

Holy Mother of Oats! I turn my back for five minutes (that's how long it takes to admire my lovely back) and the interweb goes banoonoos! Isn't there any ACTUAL news to get wrong? Sorry about all this; it might be best if I just stay off the computer for a while. Or just glut the feed with wild conjecture. Hmm, let's see... I'm me, so... let's glut! Here are some ABSOLUTELY TRUE statements of factiness. Gentlemen, start your websites.

1) Wonder Woman has finally been cast. To no one's surprise, we eschewed all those tired movie and TV personalities and cast the interweb star "Lonelygirl", or whatever her actual name is. Congratulations, whomever!
2) I've got a thirteen-episode commitment from the CW, so get ready for the long awaited "Primitive and Cheese Man". She's the first Slayer, he's a meaningless hallucination -- can they put aside their differences long enough to fight crime?
3) "CLEM!" Broadway. The number where he eats Rum Tum Tuggle will make you laugh and cry and throw up in your mouth slightly.
4) I will absolutely, positively never ever do any kind of Serenity sequel or spin-off unless a studio asks me. Politely. Or meanly, that's cool too.
5) Warren Ellis's beard has a foyer. It's quite nice: shaker furniture, and a cute ceramic umbrella stand.
6) Kelly MacDonald and Gong Li have got to stop fighting over me 'cause who are they embarrassing? Themselves, that's all.
7) I'm tired of me.Right. Cue chaos. And yes, number seven is more or less true.

But my little britjaunt is through (Alexis rocked "All My Sons") and I'm grindstone bound, so I won't be feeding any more rumorsites for a while. There's only one way to stop all this insanity, and that's to produce some actual work for people to write about. So I'll do that.

Here's a thing: when "Firefly" was cancelled, my heart got broke. Sounds a bit much, but it changed me. Not even "Serenity" could patch that wound. I'm wearier, warier -- after all those years as a movie writer, you'd think I'd be prepared for another lesson on my unimportance in the scheme of things, but I wasn't. There are two very separate worlds: the marketplace, and the bustling bazaar that is my brain. The brain place is crowded with goods, ideas, sequels, spin-offs, animated versions, miniseries, radio dramas -- this is just the used goods. All the new wares are in there as well and it's deafening. Once I create a verse I never let go of it. And figuring out how much of my energy should be devoted to reawakening the projects you all love with the actors and characters I all love, and how much should be forging ahead and creating entirely new works (which you are contractually obligated to love) is exhausting. More than you know. You know the horse caught between two pools of water? Add seven pools, and make the horse wicked A.D.D. The other world, the marketplace, I don't even begin to understand or predict. All these rumor of projects or the death of projects... When the two worlds align and something actually happens, whatever it is, you guys know I'll be on this site as soon as I'm allowed to be. And I'll be very very clear. There is no news. Not never, just now. I'm off to lunch with Lonelygirl.

Your Scribe, -j.

I wonder (woman) what part of that last post will get quoted and misconstrued? Anyone want to try and guess?

Oh, and I’ll have a funny story for you all in a day or two.

Show quote of the day: “You make me want to be a drag Queen.”

10 comments:

trinamick said...

It reminds of that RL game Gossip. By the time it gets back to you, it doesn't even resemble what you actually said. I get misquoted all the time. Unfortunately, I'm not nearly as funny as Joss. And I don't roll in kittens, though I imagine it would be great fun.

LL said...

You're entirely too hung up on this issue. It makes you look like a fangirl. :ewink:

NYPinTA said...

Well, I have a post on the nature of God, but I have my priorities you know. ;P
And I really hate misunderstandings that could be avoided if one person would just pay attention! I get that all day at work. Don't need it on the net too. (I know, I'm hoping for waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much.) But it's like watching a movie with someone and you are seeing the same thing they are except they aren't paying attention and then whem something happens they turn to you and ask, "why'd he do that?" Man that bugs me.

LL said...

THAT, my dear, is why I go to the movies alone.

NYPinTA said...

Really? I thought it was because you had no friends.

:P

LL said...

Well... there is that too...

fermicat said...

If you're going to be hung up on something, Firefly/Serenity is a fine choice. ;)

trinamick said...

Much better to be hung up on Serenity than on a tree.

Kathleen said...

So, now that I'm a new Firefly addict is there some movie studio we can harass to death until they approach Joss to do a sequel (or better yet, another whole season)?

I was all bummed when I got through all five seasons of B5, but there are only four lonely discs of Firefly.

NYPinTA said...

A studio to harass? No. But, fans have been sending their thanks for Serenity being made to Universal either by snail mail or on the site BigDamnThankYou.com

I know, 4 discs is not enough. :(