Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Who wants to be a Superhero!?

Quote of the day: “I have said consistently that global warming is a serious problem.”~ George W. Bush

Song of the day: “Tight Rope” by Lacuna Coil

State of mind: Very cautiously optimistic

Date: July 18th, 2006

The night before last I was watching the Discovery channel. For the first hour it was Mythbusters with mind control devices and exploding paint cans. Fun! The second and third hours were Global Warming. Crap. Have I mentioned before how the Discovery Channel has a way of making it difficult for me to sleep? (I’ll be skipping Shark Week BTW.)
Well, to help me sleep soundly, I am recruiting all of you to help Save The World. (This could be our only chance to be superheroes so I say grab on to it. Who wants to design our superhero outfits? And as it turns out, saving the world might not be that hard. Bonus! We can be lazy superheros!)
It seems that the keys to prevent, or at least try and slow down, global warming are simple:
1) Protect the Rain Forests. (Did you know that 5 Million acres are destroyed a year? 5 MILLION! ACRES! That’s just insane.)
2) Reduce the amount of CO2 in the air.
Tom Brokaw was kind enough to give a few suggestions for both.
Well actually, he only gave tips on how to reduce CO2. The only way to protect the Rain Forests is to not cut them down.
The second key can be tricky on a grand because it involves the Kyoto Accord and Carbon Trading or something. I guess letters written, (on recycled paper of course), to Congress is all any of us can do about that one. It seems our illustrious leaders rejected all legislation to support the Accord because developing countries were exempt. That logic makes as much sense as a 14-year-old complaining that their 2-year-old sibling doesn’t have to go to school. Whether or not Kyoto is the way to go, I have no idea. So maybe just encouraging them to not ruin the world but leave out any mention of Kyoto might be the way to phrase your requests. I leave that up to you.
In Norway, they have this thing that looks like an oil platform but instead of drilling for oil it removes CO2 from the air and puts it into the ground. Something called Carbon Sequestering. I guess this would solve everything except there is only one. One carbon-sucking platform against the entire world? I don’t like those odds. Until we have tons more of these things, I think it's up to us individually. But once we have those babies, then I say have at it! Go nuts! Leave all your lights on, and the stereo, and the TV- at the same time! I won't complain. (But your neighbors might.) Until then, use less electricity. How hard can that be? (I ask this while on a computer in an air-conditioned room with the TV and two lights on. Wow. I kind of suck, huh?) These are the tips Tom Brokaw passed on:
1) Use energy efficient light bulbs.
2) Turn your thermostat up by 3 degrees in the summer and down by 3 in the winter.
3) Turn off appliances completely when not using them, like computers and other things that have a stand by mode. (This point prompted an argument between my mother and I because she is convinced doing this will ruin her TV. I don’t know. I can’t see how but if someone knows if that is true, please say. I do know that I don’t need all my electrical goodies most of the time, so why should they be using power for NOT being used? Whose idea was this?? Probably the same person that invented those stupid extra long CD cases back in the day that made the packaging as tall as a record album.)In California, they passed an Act to make it so everyone knows exactly how much energy their appliances are pulling when not in use. (They called it the Vampire Slayer Act. No kidding! Only in California.)
Oh, and here’s a true story: my father isn’t happy with anything being left alone. He has dimmer switches on the lights in the kitchen and in the dining room that controls both the fan speed and the amount of light. You push the button to turn it on and turn the switch to the desired speed/light output. But that is apparently too much trouble for him because what he does when he doesn’t want the light on is turn the dial all the way down so you can’t tell it’s on. We got into an argument about it one day and he refused to believe me when I told him he was wasting power. I finally had to call not one, but three electricians and get each one of them to explain to him that not shutting off the light is like leaving a car in idle, (which is actually something else he does). Sure it isn’t moving, but it’s still using gas. So maybe the light bulb isn’t going to burn out any sooner, but I’m sure the electric company loves him. Despite that argument, I think he still leaves the light switch on. I know he leaves the TV on, but takes the trouble to set a timer so that it will shut off a half hour after he leaves. Why is that easier? I will never understand. I also don’t’ know who he thinks he is leaving the TV on for. Cats? Ghosts? An imaginary friend??
4) Try and use public transportation whenever possible. (I’d say Mr. Schprock and John are doing their part already, so a gold star for each of them!)
Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting
5) Buy local when possible. It’s both good for the community and environment because it took less energy for the goods to get to you. But I’m not giving up Swiss chocolate. (Sorry Gaia, not gonna happen.)
So get to it kiddies! I’m counting on you. Actually, whether they know it or not- everyone is counting on you. If you wanted to go the extra mile and encourage the powers that be where you live to switch some of the public transit to hybrid vehicles or put in wind and solar plants then you will recieve EXTRA gold stars! Turns out that NYC is one of the most energy efficient cities in the country. Sure it’s this country, but hey- it’s a start. (If cantankerous New Yorkers can do it, anyone can. Except, apparently, my dad.)
Oh- and if anyone tries to tell me that there is no such thing as global warming, I will find you and kick your ass. I’m not kidding. (Except Lord Loser. He’d like that too much.)

Firefly quote of the day:
SAFFRON: Do you know the myth about Earth-that-was?
WASH: Not so much.
SAFFRON: That when she was born, she had no sky, and she was open, inviting and the stars would rush into her, through the skin of her, making the oceans boil with sensation, and when she could endure no more ecstasy, she puffed up her cheeks and blew out the sky.
WASH: Whoa. Good myth.

12 comments:

trinamick said...

I've always wanted to be a superhero, like Mystery Men. Can I carry a bowling ball?

NYPinTA said...

Depends on the color.

fermicat said...

My costume absolutely must include go-go boots.

Michele said...

"Try and use public transportation whenever possible. (I’d say Mr. Schprock and John are doing their part already, so a gold star for each of them!)"

*Waving arms around wildly* And me too! And me too! :)

LL said...

There's no such thing as global warming...

:ewink:

I encourage all of you to do the things PinTA suggested. That way there'll be more for me!

mr. schprock said...

When I design my superhero outfit, it'll have a big gold star on it!

trinamick said...

I already keep my house on 67 in the winter. I refuse to turn it higher in the summer. I already have it shut off completely, and it's still 84 degrees in there!

NYPinTA said...

Go go boots? Done!
Michele gets a shiny new gold star! :D
*ignores LL*
Well Mr. S, I'd hope you have a big gold star on your costume since I was going to make you the team leader.
Trin, I think maybe your house is so hot because you town is on fire! (Which I hope will stop burning soon.)

John said...

Can I have two gold stars? See, because in addition to taking the train, I walk a lot. But I also get lost alot. Imagine how much gas I'd waste driving around trying to find where I'm supposed to be going, instead of just wandering around aimlessly the way I do now.

NYPinTA said...

I'm not giving you a gold star for getting lost.

trinamick said...

But I bet she'd give you a gold star if you got lost while dressed like a superhero.

NYPinTA said...

I'd need pictures though.