Saturday, July 01, 2006

The Return of Superman

Quote of the day: "Behind every great fortune, there is a crime." ~Honore de Balzac

Song of the day: none

State of mind: happy

Date: 7/1/06

I took mom to the movies today to see Superman Returns at the Spectrum 8, a cute little theater just a few blocks from my house. It wasn't so much a trip to the movies as it was a scouting trip for future 'Serenity Now/Equality Now' screenings... and I think I found the place. The last time I was there the ticket booth was right inside the door so when there was a line, you had to hold the door open while getting your tickets. They expanded and moved the lobby so it now makes much better sense. Plus they added a coffee bar right next door and the place, in general, looks fantastic. It is now the kind of place you want to see a movie and then hang out and discuss it with strangers afterwards.
The screening room that Superman Returns was in was small, but that meant smaller chances it would be filled with chatty idiots... or so I thought. You know how when you go to the movies and automatically any group of kids that comes in gets the evil eye because you just know that they are going to be trouble? Well, that didn't happen. This time it was a trio of old farts that apparently lost control of their mouths. Luckily, most of their chatter was absorbed by my ever present earplugs, so they didn't bother me as much as they probably did bother my mother who didn't have any earplugs. Bet she will next time she goes to the movies. ;)
On to the movie: Ebert is an idiot. The movie was fantastic! I loved the opening sequence because 1) it used the original music and 2) Space! Too bad the credits kept getting in the way of all the outer space pretty.
I liked everybody in this movie. Superman was super. Lois Lane was great- if not as 'spunky' as she was in previous films, but there are logical reasons for that. I even liked Lex Luthor. Well, I didn't like him. Loathed actually, but I was supposed to, so good job Kevin Spacey! (Who doesn't look half bad bald.) The effects were amazing, without being too "LOOK! Special Effects!!" like in other movies. At first, I was a little confused as to what time period the movie was supposed to take place until they finally got to the Daily Planet and LCD screens were attatched to all the Art Deco columns, and that just made me wish that more buildings were built in the Art Deco style. (A big pet peeve of mine are ugly buildings. There is no reason a building can't be both functional and aesteticly pleasing. Well, except money. And money shouldn't be everything. *sigh*)
Now, if I were to compare this to Batman Begins or had to chose which is better, I would still say Batman Begins. But thats apples and oranges talk. Batman Begins had to reboot a franchise that was slowly killed with each movie a decade previous, where as Superman Returns had to live up to expectations of everyone that loved the previous Superman films and Christopher Reeves. Tough job, but I think they pulled it off.
Here is where I get spoilery, so highlight if you want to read:
Some of my favorite things about the movie were:
1)The scene where Lex first "plants" a piece of the crystals in the pond of the minature town and it mirrors the kind of damage that he will be doing if his plan is allowed to come to fruition. Was it a metaphor? I don't know. I always forget what metaphors are, but I liked it what ever you call it.

2)Also, it was refreshing that the man Lois chose after Superman had dissappeared was actually a good man and didn't turn out to be some bad guy in disguise so she could get back with the caped wonder without any consequences. Now, this doesn't mean that they get back together. I'm not saying... even in my spoilery section. That you have to find out for yourself. But it's nice to know that the superhero wasn't the only heroic person in the film as is the case in other films. People come in all flavors in Superman Returns, and I appreciated that a great deal.
End spoilery stuff.
The story was solid and fun, it wasn't trying to be Batman or Spiderman or the X-men, and like I said, Ebert is an idiot. My only complaint was that the end did seem to drag on just a bit without the kind of emotional payoff that I think they were going for, but that is one tiny flaw in an otherwise almost perfect film. Maybe it's like the imperfection that Indian rug weavers place in their rugs on purpose so you appreciate the rest of the rug more? Or, it's just bad editing. Whatever. Doesn't diminish how much I enjoyed the flick.
Plus, Brandon Routh is a cutey. ;)
Look! He's pretty!

Firefly quote of the day:
WASH: We gotta go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!

8 comments:

LL said...

Not old enough for Hottie of the Week, eh? ;P

John said...

A Saturday post? That unpossible!

Ebert's in serious condition right now after having cancer surgery. Way to kick 'em when they're down.

NYPinTA said...

He's a critic. I'm sure he'll understand.

Was the cancer in his brain? Cuz that would explain a lot....

Now THAT *points up* is kicking 'em when they're down!

Beth said...

I saw this movie last weekend and it was good, but not great. You're right, the emotional pay-off was missing. I loved this kid's performance though. To me, he really captured the essence of both Clark Kent and Superman. I'm a Smallville fan so was happy to see a new Superman flick.

trinamick said...

Haven't seen it yet, but I plan on hitting it tonight. Not a rabid Superman fan, but enough that for once I'll actually knows what's going on.

mr. schprock said...

I thought it was an above average acion flick, but I have to confess I was a little disappointed. I'll tell you one thing — I am sick of Kryptonite all the time! Give me a Superman story without Kryptonite! Just one!

NYPinTA said...

I don't think they know how to do a good villan unless he has some kryptonite since Superman is, in all other ways, perfect. *shrugs* I do think I would have liked this movie a whole lot better if I hadn't seen Batman Begins first. OH well. Still pretty. Still fun.

Jim Donahue said...

My late grandmother--God bless her shortbread-baking soul--used to be unusually chatty when we took her to the movies. I used to make sure we weren't sitting right next to anyone.