Wednesday, May 17, 2006

10,000 Days

Quote of the day: "When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me." ~Emo Philips

Song of the day: "Jambi" by Tool

State of mind: eh

Date: 5/18/06

OK. Here is my review of Tool’s latest album 10,000 Days. It rocks.

What? You were expecting something with more insight? After I’ve been putting it off for weeks and thereby had plenty of time to think up something better?
*sigh*
Fine.

The first song is “Vicarious”, a little ditty about couch potatoes and how much we love gratuitous violence on TV. It’ s like the song is speaking to me! ;) This is a song the builds on itself from just mildly genius to outright genius.
Then comes “Jambi” that starts out crunchy (which is a good thing) and heavy and then has the nerve to get even heavier! Awesome. It backs off just a little before formally launching into the song, but not by much.
Then the album slows down a bit for “Wings for Marie, Part I”. This is one of those meandering songs that you kind of only half listen too. It’s more about atmosphere then conscious listening. During these songs, my only complaint is that there isn’t enough of Maynard’s voice. It’s blends into the music like another instrument, but I don’t’ want it there with the guitars and bass. I want to hear him.
Then the album (eventually) moves on to “10,000 Days~Wings Part II”. This is also a meandering song, but it builds up to a goose bump-inducing climax:
“You're the only one who can hold your head up high,
Shake your fists at the gates saying:
"I have come home now!
Fetch me the spirit, the son, and the father.
Tell them their pillar of faith has ascended.
It's time now!
My time now!
Give me my, give me my wings!"

*shudders with glee* See? Goosebumps!! Well… get the CD and you’ll get what I mean. Here is a little tip: do yourself a favor and listen to this song with your headphones though.
Ok, next we have “The Pot”. This is a song that starts out very simply, with just his voice which is then joined by bass and then percussion and lastly guitar… which isn’t so much a review as it is stating the order everyone joins the song, but it’s my favorite few seconds on the whole CD.
“Who are you to wave your finger? You musta been out your head…” Haha. How many times have you heard a similar sentence on Jerry Springer? He might as well be saying, “talk to the hand,” and yet, with his voice, it sounds like poetry. Damn good song.
“Lipan Conjuring” (which has some nice native chanting) and “Lost Keys (Blame Hofmann)” are both fillers, (which is my only real complaint about all their albums and the amount of space they seem to waste doing these bits), but you should listen to them so that “Rosetta Stoned” makes more sense… or any sense really. This is a glass half full or empty kind of story. Either this song is about a man who has been chosen to deliver a message of hope (and a warning) by divine/extraterrestrial beings but isn’t able to tell anyone because he’s kept in a hospital ~OR~ he’s nuts. Well, I guess that’s actually a glass is half empty or half empty kind of story. The bass is awesome though.
“Intension” is a song that I haven’t listened to a lot, mostly because I’ve been so enamored of the first 8 that I never get that far before I have to repeat one of the first ones again. But I do recall it was good, if another slow building song.
The last song is “Right In Two”. Damn good song, and it reminds me of a few short stories by Neil Gaimen in his book Smoke & Mirrors, as well as an ongoing theme uttered by a few of his characters through out his Sandman comic books. Wonder if Keenan’s a fan?
Lastly, I don’t know how to describe “Viginti Tres”. It’s just sound. Creepy sound. And some talking. It a bit like what you would think a haunted radio would sound like.
Through out the album, you can hear snippets of songs from the previous albums, and maybe someday I’ll try and figure them all out, but I doubt it. All in all I will say this: this album is an experience more then just a record. The guitar is more in the forefront that on past albums, which sounds great, but I do wish I could hear the vocals more. But even with my one teeny complaint, I still say the album is as near perfection as you can get with a subjective medium. But that’s just me.

Firefly quote of the day:
BADGER: You think you're better than other people.
MAL: Just the ones I'm better than.

5 comments:

trinamick said...

I've never gotten into Tool, but maybe I just haven't heard the right song yet.

LL said...

Oh... I think you can hear them all and still avoid them like the plague...

mr. schprock said...

Is Tool like The Beatles?



I like The Beatles.

NYPinTA said...

Um... yes. Sure. Tool is exactly like the Beatles.

Beth said...

OK, Mr. Schprock has done it again. I'm LMBO at his comment. That's how I feel. I think I'm hip, but it's just an illusion.