Monday, April 10, 2006

Not so Lucky Number Slevin

Quote of the day: “Every since he died, he’s become deaf.” ~Morgan Freeman, aka “The Boss”

Song of the day: “Grudge” by Tool

State of mind: disconnected

Date: 4/10/06

Three things: 2 movies, 1 theater, and myspace.

I went to see Lucky Number Slevin this weekend. I figured a movie with both Ben Kingsley and Morgan Freeman playing bad guys just had to be skin tingly good. I was wrong. It was O.K. And being just O.K. is a big disappointment. The main problem I had with the movie was that they took so long with the reveal of the plot twist that everyone in the audience had figured out a half hour previous. And all the wallpaper in the movie is ugly. If you really want to see this one, you might want to wait for DVD.
I also watched A History of Violence on Sunday while I thought about doing my laundry. I’ve seen plenty of Arnold flicks with a body count in the triple digits that were less gory then this film. But maybe if more movies depicted what actually happens when you shoot someone in the head, people in real life would be less inclined to want to shoot someone…. Oh hey! Would you look at that! I took a side trip through puppies and rainbow land! OK, people would still probably want to shoot each other, but the movie was still good. The most interesting story for me was actually that of the son, and how he changes because of what happens. I did get a chuckle out of one thing though: *spoilers* It cracked me up at just how hard it was to kill Joey! He was one tough cookie.
*End spoilers* I recommend this one, but the link above leads to other Netflix members and what they thought. Just for balance.
From movies to a theater: I went back to the Palace Theatre on Saturday to take a look around and see if there was a place that a pre screening party could be held, and boy howdy is there! (I can’t believe I just used the phrase, ‘boy howdy’ but whatever.) That building just makes me smile, and I can’t put my finger on why. We took a walk around the Mezzanine, (click the #3), which looks over the lobby and the actually theater itself and has room enough for between 100 and 200 people. Plus, from there you can walk right out onto the balcony and get, what is in my opinion, the best seats in the place to watch the movie. Afterwards, we went back to the box office and he ran a report of how many tickets have been sold so far. A few. I won’t say how many, but there are still plenty left… for now. ;)
And lastly, from a great space to myspace: What a bunch of freaks! I had set up a page last year just to look at a friend of mines page, (he BTW deleted his, and he reads this blog but doesn’t comment. Instigator! Everyone, say ‘hi’ to Brad.). So the other day I was fooling around and decided to actually update my page and wow, the people that want to be my ‘friend!’ Holy ICK! But…. Check out who is my first friend… *wiggles eyebrows meaningfully* Not that I’ll be getting anything in my inbox from him anytime soon. I think the chances of us actually chatting are about as thin as a size 3 thong on a fat girl. And I'll stop here with that lovely image…

Firefly quote of the day:
SIMON: To Jayne! The box-dropping, man-ape-gone-wrong-thing.

11 comments:

trinamick said...

Hi, Brad.

Those are movies I wanted to see, but I think I'll wait for the DVD on both.

My BIL's niece is a size 22, and she wears a thong.

Stellar said...

Everybody has a damned Myspace page. At least you didn't comprimise with your profile pic. You used the same old picture taken with a one-megapixel camera, printed with a dot-matrix printer and then scanned back into the computer for the digital representation of yourself.

I bought A History of Violence and I thought it was great. I was somehow expecting a lot of gore, so that expectation kinda made the actual gore pretty tame. I thought William Hurt was funny as hell.

I borrowed Flight Plan from my parents because my wife wanted to see it despite my protest that the DVD was in fullscreen and I have a widescreen TV. I sucked it up. It was an OK movie, 10 times better than Forgotten. I also watched Good Night and Good Luck... about the same reaction. Both pretty average movies.

NYPinTA said...

It's the only picture I have. I should get a new one. But I don't look much different. Except the hair color. And I'm less pixelized now.

Stellar said...

I linked from your page to John's. He has The Final Countdown by Europe as his background music.

What a pretentious bastard.

NYPinTA said...

Ha!

I saw that and was happy for the first time that my speakers don't work.
But now I have that song stuck in my head. Thanks.

John said...

It's GOB's theme, fer chrissakes!

Come on!

LL said...

I found History a bit lacking. I dunno, it was just not all that. :shrug:

Hi Brad.

Nice myspace, by the way, except who's that old guy in the first friend pic?

NYPinTA said...

For History, I wasn't expecting much so that might be why of the two movies, I liked it better.
But that was also why I put up the link to Netflix so everyone could see what normal joes thought of the movie, rather then just read all the glowing critic reviews. You just know that when the critics love it, the story moves slowsly. (At least, it seems to be that way.) I recommend it, but not overwhelmingly like I did Serenity or Batman Begins, (a movie that I did like Morgan Freeman in. I loved him in that.)

Nice myspace, by the way, except who's that old guy in the first friend pic? *sigh*
He's. Not. Old.

mr. schprock said...

Pixelized or not, you're mighty good lookin'.

(Being an old married guy, I can say stuff like that.)

John said...

"He's. Not. Old."

Yeah. He's just Canadian.

Brad said...

Hi y'all. More to come...