Thursday, February 16, 2006

Robbed!

Quote of the day: “Huh.” ~Mal, Firefly, Serenity Part I

Song of the day: Nothing. Today, the music has died… hey, that reminds me of a song.

State of mind: up and down and all around.

Date: 2/16/06

The nominations for the Saturn Awards came out today. I’ve been waiting for weeks for this list and would be waiting even more eagerly for my ballots to come in the mail… or so I thought, until I saw the actual nominations, (here are the ones I’m going to complain about.):

BEST SCIENCE FICTION FILM:

Serenity (Universal)

Me: No complaint. You all don’t even need to see who the other nominations were. ;)

BEST ACTOR

Christian Bale (“Batman Begins”) (Warner Bros.)
Pierce Brosnan (“The Matador”) (The Weinstein Co.)
Hayden Christensen (“Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith”) (20th Century Fox/Lucasfilm)
Tom Cruise (“War of the Worlds”) (Paramount)
Robert Downey Jr. (“Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang”) (Warner Bros.)
Viggo Mortensen (“A History of Violence”) (New Line Cinema)

Me: Image hosting by PhotobucketARE YOU KIDDING ME?!? No Nathan Fillion?!? Wrong. Just. Plain. Wrong. ( I would have a tough time if he had been nominated deciding between him and Christian Bale, but still. He should have been nominated.)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Jessica Alba (“Sin City”) (Dimension / Miramax)
Jennifer Carpenter (“The Exorcism of Emily Rose”) (ScreenGems / Sony)
Summer Glau (“Serenity”) (Universal)
Katie Holmes (“Batman Begins”) (Warner Bros.)
Michelle Monaghan (“Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang”) (Warner Bros.)
Gena Rowlands (“The Skeleton Key”) (Universal)

Me: Yay Summer Glau. I’m a little surprised Katie Holmes got nominated for Batman Begins, but whatever, or Jessica Alba for Sin City. Wiggling is synonymous with acting? Didn’t know that. She was great in Dark Angel though. Just saying. .

BEST DIRECTION

Andrew Adamson (“The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe”) (Buena Vista)
Peter Jackson (“King Kong”) (Universal)
George Lucas (“Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith”) (20th Century Fox/Lucasfilm) Mike Newell (“Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire”) (Warner Bros.)
Christopher Nolan (“Batman Begins”) (Warner Bros.)
Steven Spielberg (“War of the Worlds”) (Paramount)

Me: No Joss? Really? But George Lucas got a nomination. Um, why? I can understand this one though way more then I can the next category:

BEST WRITING

Steve Kloves (“Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire”) (Warner Bros.)
David Koepp (“War of the Worlds”) (Paramount)
Christopher Nolan, David S. Goyer (“Batman Begins”) (Warner Bros.)
Ann Peacock, Andrew Adamson, Christopher Markus, Steven McFeely (“The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe”) (Buena Vista)
George Lucas (“Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith”) (20th Century Fox/Lucasfilm)
Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens, Peter Jackson (“King Kong”) (Universal)

Me: Geroge Lucas got a nomination for best writing?!?! Image hosting by Photobucket What exactly was ‘best’ about. Best way to completely f**K with the canon of your own story?? Padme DIES because she LOSES THE WILL TO LIVE and that gets a best writing nomination?!?!?!? Image hosting by PhotobucketI must go cry now.

*sigh*

And for anyone who is interested, what Joss Whedon has to say:

"Okay. I'm gonna say it. I'm gonna skip a hundred catty comments and say I've enjoyed the Saturns because, well, mostly because I won one, but also because they celebrate the genre, and where else are you gonna hang out with Jim Cameron AND Stan Lee? And now I'm gonna tell you I'm disappointed.

Say it with me now: Nathan Fillion.

Not even a nod? A nom? I'm pleased as anything for Summer, and glad the movie made a showing at all, but for Nathan to be overlooked shakes my faith in this awards program, which is truly terrifying because it means I had faith in an awards program. I'm such a yob.

Nathan owned that screen. You went to see the movie, there was a little print on the screen that said "On Loan from Nathan Fillion." Textured, rich, funny, real, heroic... I don't know who else was nominated (and for the record, I think Tom Cruise was great in WotW), and I don't even think the movie is all that -- oh, I'm into it, but the more I look at it the more I go "They couldn't have got a director?" -- but Nathan is the man. He's all man. A man's man. Two men. He's like if Jame Gumb had been sewing a MAN suit. This has taken an unsightly turn, but you get where I'm going.

Well, I don't usually do this, but I'll tell you a secret. I'm dropping the BOMB on the Saturn awards and you got this straight from the horse's mouth. The truth about the Saturns? A few weeks after you get them home, the glue on your name-plate dries up and it pops right off. You heard me. Award over HERE, nameplate sitting over THERE. That's how THEY roll, dog.

Wow. I went a little far there. Things were typed... But I'm truly bummed.

Go Summer! "

In other news: Two books after my very own heart. The Importance of Being Lazy.... and a book for those who need help being lazy. I feel for you. Freak.

Last but not least: Greeeaaaaat. What I want to know is, why would they want to find more?

Firefly quote of the day:
MAL: This is not my best day ever.

8 comments:

John said...

Padme died because the emperor killed her. He can do that. He went on and on about Darth Droopy or whoever that could create and destroy life. So, while they never came right out and said it, Anakin was "created" by either Palpatine or his master (I;m not sure which), and Padme was killed by Palpatine using his knowledge of mediclorians or some shit.

NYPinTA said...

It was still stupid. And still doesn't make any sense what so ever.

trinamick said...

I just think George Lucas needs to get amoebic dysentery. Spending the rest of his life on the toity might change his mind about writing crappy scripts.

mr. schprock said...

Padme died of an advanced case of "the vapors."

Nypinta, you might be interested in this.

LL said...

Stop right there Mr. S... you had me at idleness.

As for Bert... interesting... very, very, interesting.

LucyDDCF said...

um not quite sure what all that says, but I did my meme

Spirit Of Owl said...

Wait a minute... George Lucas? Didn't George Lucas write the greatest sci-fi movie saga of all time? Was that another George Lucas?

Oh yeah, he did that Jaja Binks thing. He didn't do anything else. Loser.

??!!?!??!

NYPinTA said...

Yes, he did write the very cool original Star Wars trilogy, which I love. Mostly. However, these last three have been very frustrating for me because they could have been so damn cool! And yet... not so much. They leave me baffled as to how they could have gone so wrong and no one noticed and put it right before the movies were done. How does that happen?
And how does a woman in that galaxy go around pregnant for 9 damn months and not know she is carrying twins?! They travel through space and have robots for crying out loud! But no sonograms or ultrasounds? Whatever.