Thursday, February 02, 2006

For Life

Quote of the day: “The only way not to think about money is to have a great deal of it.” ~Edith Wharton

Song of the day: “Slide” by the Goo Goo Dolls. (Is it Goo Goo Dolls, or The Goo Goo Dolls?)

State of mind: up and down

Date: 2/2/06 aka Groundhogs’ Day- and the groundhog said 6 more weeks of this pseudo-winter we have been having. More rain? More temperate sunny days that feel more like spring then winter? Oh. No. Please. No more.

One of the ladies that I work with has a friend who just last week won the lottery from a scratch off. At first, as she was telling the tale, I thought she said 10,000 dollars. A nice figure to be sure, but nothing I couldn’t blow through in a few days like the shredders at Enron and incriminating evidence. But then, I heard her say “a week.” Holy cow.
In NY, we have a few ‘win for life’ scratch off games: 1000 dollars a week for life, 2000 dollars a week for life. Last year they introduced the Set For Life game with a whopping 5000 dollars a week for life. I could live off that. Nicely. But this guy had actually won 10,000 dollars a week. FOR LIFE.
Proof of Heaven?
I still can’t get my head around it. Its not like when you hear that some guy in California just won 300 million, which is considerably more then 10,000 a week, (because according to my math, the recipient of the scratch off would have to live for 576 years in order to collect 300 million. Which is something else I would be willing to do.), but that figure is so large, it’s almost incomprehensible to someone like me. I guess the best analogy is that 300 million is sort of like the ground for someone who is afraid of heights and gets woozy on someone’s extra high deck porch, but is perfectly fine at 1 mile up in a plane.
Anyhow, I actually don’t have a point. I’m just in shock. 10000 dollars a week. For life. Holy cow. Holy cash cow.

Angel quote of the day:
Spike: Hey, wanna go find something to hit?

10 comments:

trinamick said...

For the first week and a half, I would pay off all my bills. The next week, I would pay off my mom's truck. Then it would be all about the underground house for a couple of months. And then I would buy South Dakota and turn it into an amusement park.

LL said...

Damn shame it wasn't you P. You could have just assigned it to one of those book clubs. :P

While that would be cool, I think you'd eventually get to the point of living paycheck to paycheck. Been my experience that folks who never have any money in their pocket tend to remain that way despite their earnings...

But it does give me a post idea... perhaps tomorrow.

NYPinTA said...

"You could have just assigned it to one of those book clubs."

Which reminds me. I ordered two books yesterday. *sigh* What is wrong with me?!

You know, on HGTV, they have this 'extreme home' show and this guy here in NY has a house that is underground. Built in the remains of a missle silo. Looked pretty cool.
Just saying.

trinamick said...

On the HGTV website, they've got about 8 different examples, and they all look pretty cool. One built a glass pyramid on top to bring in the most light. Wicked cool.

LL said...

8 different ones? So much for originality... :P

"What is wrong with me?! "

I uh... erm... nuthin. :innocent:

I hope they're at least good books. It would really suck if you beat yourself up over this only to get crappy books...

trinamick said...

Looks like she's going to have to return Rainbow Brite Saves Spring. :P

mr. schprock said...

$10,000 a week ought to put a dent in my bills. I'd much prefer one kerbillion-gazillion dollars.

trinamick said...

What would the taxes be on that?

Michele said...

Hey, I'm not greedy. I could be happy with $1000 a week for life....

Beth said...

I love Slide by the Goo Goo Dolls, would LOVE to have $10K a week for life (although can't fathom it), and Spike's my favorite Angel character. What more can I say?