Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Wicked, evil books

Quote of the day: “Most of you are just cute as buttons. 10% of you are screwy.” ~J. Michael Straczynski

Song of the day: For some reason I have the song “Only In My Dreams” by Debbie Gibson in my head. I must be paying off some bad karma. Real bad karma.

State of mind: OK

Date: January 11, 2006

The book clubs are out to get me. I must be a prime target because in the past week alone I have gotten four different clubs sending me enticing packets promising lots of bound goodies for just “1 dollar a piece if you join today!” I would only have to buy 2 more in the next few years, because buying only a few of anything is what I excel at. (That is sarcasm by the way.)
And I fall for it. Every time.
Almost.
I resisted three of them. (Progress.)
*sigh*
That’s ok though. I don’t need to eat, or pay my bills. I can burn the books for warmth… and accidentally start a riot. Doesn’t that sound like fun?
And to make matters worse, I stopped at my local bookstore to pick up a calendar for my wall at work. (I got one with Mountain Lions. Some people will understand why.) But because I can’t resist browsing in a bookstore I ended up buying Wicked, the tale of Oz from the Wicked Witch of the West’s perspective. And when you think about it, she is the one who was wronged. Dorothy killed her sister and stole her shoes. Why shouldn’t the Wicked Witch be able to send a fleet of flying monkeys after that thieving punk?
I also picked up the special edition of Scientific America. They also have a book club. No matter where I go…
It’s a conspiracy. I just know it.

Health update: still no McDonalds. In fact, I ate a salad today. And yesterday. And the day before yesterday. I am really beginning to hate salads.

Angel quote of the day:
Spike: There's a hole in the world. Feels like we ought to have known.

6 comments:

trinamick said...

Glad you're healthy, but nothing short of a cancerous abcess consuming my entire body could induce me to eat salads every day.

As for books, you can never have too many, right? I have three boxes of books sitting in my house that won't fit in my bookshelves. Sad, just sad.

Word verification: dkups. I wish.

mr. schprock said...

Let me know how Wicked is. I read a book by John Updike called gertrude and Claudius, which was about Hamlet's mother and his uncle/stepfather. He managed to make Claudius the good guy — or at least more sympathetic.

LL said...

Books will do you no good P. They'll lure you in with their catchy title, or flashy cover, then lead you down a trail of adventure only to burst the balloon they create by ending. I'd avoid them at all costs, if I were you. Just like eating salad...

John said...

You should write a book about eating salad. Then you can send obnoxious flyers to everyone, letting them know that if they act now, they can buy your book for just a dollar!

Stellar said...

I got a notice from the Quality Paperback Book Club saying that it just wasn't the same without me. I dumped that club like 5 years ago. They kept sending me ridiculous books because I forgot to return the card saying I didn't want How To Make a Quilt and the Official Dukes of Hazzard Behind The Scenes Retrospective.

Had I known the book club was going to turn into a clingy ex-girlfriend for years and years I never would've banged it.

I'll just have to be satisfied with my Barnes & Noble member's card. I save 10%!!! Of course, I never leave there with less than $100 worth of books, either... but that's 10 bucks in my pocket, baby.

I also got that Scientific American book club solicitation. If you joined you got 4 books of their choosing for $6. You don't even get to pick your own books. That's facist... even for a bookclub.

Hey, is this comment long enough to count for a blog update?

Word verification: s3xmchine.

NYPinTA said...

^No.