Tuesday, January 31, 2006

The Traveler

Quote of the day: “Time in an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.” ~Douglas Adams

Song of the day: “Dirt” by Alice in Chains

State of mind: full

Date: 1/31/06

I read a book this weekend. I got it in the mail early Saturday in a pack of books I had forgotten I had ordered. It’s called The Traveler by John Twelve Hawks.
It’s definitely one of those books you can’t judge by its cover because when I got it, the dust jacket was torn and didn’t really fit the book right. Also, whenever I flipped a page, (which I did quite quickly because this book is a fast read), the spine made the same noise my big giant 40-year-old dictionary does. I thought it was going to fall apart in my hands.
I finished it around 5 o’clock on Sunday and had the distinct displeasure of seeing this at the very bottom of the last page: “Book One of the Four Realms.” What?! Arg! Nowhere previously did the book give any indication that this was going to be part of a trilogy and that the story would not be completed by the last page! Arg. Grr. Ah well. It was a good start, so I will probably read the second and third as soon as they come out… which better be soon. Hear me Mr. John Twelve Hawks? Get cracking!
Anyhow, the book is the story of Maya, a woman who was raised to be a Harlequin, a group of people who have vowed to protect Travelers, even if it means their death, (the Harlequins death, not the Travelers). As a young adult, she turns away from that world and instead tries to live a ‘normal’ life. It doesn’t last too long, because her father summons her to ask if she would go to America to guard a pair of brothers that have the potential to be Travelers. Travelers, by the way, are people who can make their spirit (or Light as they call it in the book) leave their body and travel to other realms.
The book is scary because it gives you a pretty sobering look at what ‘safety’ and ‘security’ is buying us really, (and to illustrate this point, as I type this, my co-workers are playing around with another site that allows you to type in someone's address and it will give you satelight photos of that house. So if you think that privacy fence around your yard is enough to keep your nude sunbathing a secret, then think again.) Characters hide from The Tabula by staying 'off the grid', which is amusing becase someone started a blog named after one of Maya's alternate identities and in the book, the World Wide Web is also not your friend. Is that blog irony then? Guess so. The blog isn't as much fun as The Darth Side, but I guess that is because Darth Vader is such a pop icon that it's much easier to make fun of him. Although I couldn't do it. Well, I could, but it would not have been as funny.
The only real criticisms I have are that I would have liked to have read a little bit more about what Maya was like in the life she tried to create for herself and that one or two of the other characters seem to just fall by the way side and I would have liked more of them, but I can forgive that and I can’t wait for the next installment.

In other news, the Oscar nominations came out today. As you all know, I pimped Serenity a lot on this blog, but I wasn’t under any delusions that it would actually be nominated for any of the big awards. I did have hope for categories like effects, sound, maybe even costume, (which you just know is going to go to Memoirs of a Geisha), but sadly, not a one. So this has generated a rant by me. And here it goes:
Revenge of the Sith gets nominated for Best Make-up but Serenity doesn’t? How is that possible? I saw both movies. What make-up are they talking about in Sith that is so award worthy? Yoda? Oh wait… he’s CGI. The contacts they put on Anakin when he was slaughtering children? Big deal. I can buy those for myself online. In Serenity , they had the Reavers. Ugly, scary Reavers. Also, they made Mal look nasty after his fight with the Operative. You just know that in order to make Nathan Fillion ugly, it would take some damn fine cosmetic wizardry. Not so much with making Russell Crowe look like crap after a fight in Cindrella Man. All they really had to do was add a little sweat, and presto! Instant ugly.
Also, I can’t believe for effects War of the Worlds got a nomination and Serenity didn’t. You all saw the flying the gauntlet scene right? Or the hovercraft chase scene? And what about the opening sequence or the first time you see Serenity itself as it breaks through the atmosphere? Are they really saying none of those scenes compare to anything from War of the Worlds? What the hell movies were they watching? Stupid Academy. Whatever.

Angel quote of the day:
Angel: I helped saved the world, you know.
Spike: Like I haven't.

6 comments:

trinamick said...

So, I'm curious: This chick in The Traveler - she was destined to be a Harlequin? As in a writer of romance novels? Boy, fate sure was bending her over on that one.

mr. schprock said...

I'm laughing so hard at Trina's comment I forgot what I was going to say. Oh yeah — this weekend I'll try again to rent Serenity. They were out of it last time, but now I will not be denied!

I didn't see: was Deuce Bigelow up for anything?

LL said...

Off the grid... off the grid did you say? Hmmm... :ewink:

KTM: Nice one...

Deuce Bigelow? Yep... Best Use of a Male Gigalo in a Film.

NYPinTA said...

Deuce Bigalow? If they have an award that results in the entire cast being shot out of a canon into space, without benefit of a suit, then sure... I'd nominate them for that.

Serenity was all out? On one hand, I feel bad you haven't seen it yet. But on the other, it means lots of other people are... unless you have a really really small vidoe rental store with only 3 or 4 movies... two of them being Deuce Bigalow.

NYPinTA said...

Off the grid... off the grid did you say? Hmmm...
Told you I got it from a book.

Michele said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.