Monday, January 16, 2006

How do you take your P.B. & J. and Stardust!

Quote of the day: “This is a work of fiction. All the characters in it, human and otherwise, are imaginary, accepting only certain of the fairy folk, whom it might be unwise to offend by casting doubts on their existence. Or lack thereof.” Neil Gaiman

Song of the day: “Forty Six And 2” by Tool

State of mind: distracted

Date: 1/16/06, Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day

I think today’s post is pretty self-explanatory, based on the title… but it is something I am curious about. I thought of it this past weekend when I was making myself an old school snack and started to put the peanut butter on the slice of bread on the right like I always do. Does everyone make them this way? Peanut butter first, the jelly second? Do you put each on their own slice or pile them on top of each other? Who eats white bread, and who wheat? When you think of it, that American classic called the P.B. & J. has so many variations. Crust, no crust. Sliced on the diagonal or straight across, or even not at all.
Kind of mind boggling… if it’s a slow day.

In other news: Congrats to the boys and girls of NASA, on the successful completion of Mission Stardust.
It was launched in 1999, and in 2004 was able to collect dust and particles that is older then our own sun from a passing comet and landed safely so they can see what kind of dust bunnies are created in space. Good job. You think they used a Swifer?
If you’d like to help with this mission, click here. And you can read about it here.

Angel quote of the day:
Spike: What? I'm listening, with beer.

9 comments:

Henry said...

I put the pb on one slice and the jelly on the other, and put them together.
White bread---any jelly EXCEPT grape.
Can't stand grape jelly.

Then I cut diagonally---and then I always say, "Here...diagonally."
Just like the connect 4 game commercial from wayyyy back.


Word Verification: puvxunq
isnt that the show that Ashton Kutcher is on, on Mtv?

NYPinTA said...

I used to kick my sisters ass on a regular basis in Connect Four. Not much of a skill, but I'm still proud.

trinamick said...

I ruled at Connect Four. I think my mom may still have our old game.

PB goes on one slice, jelly must go on the other. It must be cut either vertically or diagonally. White bread is the only acceptable option. Every time someone eats PB&J on wheat, God kills a kitten.

mr. schprock said...

"Every time someone eats PB&J on wheat, God kills a kitten."

That means I've filled up kitty heaven.

I started out in life spreading jelly directly on the peanut butter and then doing the vertical cut. Somewhere along the way I changed to the other method. I'm not sure when it happened, but it must have been something like the conversion of St. Paul on the road to Damascus.

BTW, Henry, grape is the king of jellies.

LL said...

Hey... What about the butter? Have you people no decency?

"BTW, Henry, grape is the king of jellies."

As much as I hate being disagreeable... (:P) I beg to differ here. While grape and strawberry may struggle for dominance among the commercially available varieties, I do believe that the hard to find jellies are sovereign amongst the lot. Hard to beat a good elderberry jelly. Even harder to beat a good chokecherry jelly. But the ultimate, and perhaps most rare of all is the infamous gooseberry jelly... Now if that doesn't make your mouth water just thinking about it, you're dead inside.

BTW, call me a traditionalist, but I prefer my PB&J without Stardust. Too gritty.

cali said...

anyway you like - just replace the jelly with marmite.

NYPinTA said...

What is marmite?
The PB goes on one slice, the jelly on the other.
Just for the record, I am a grape jelly on white bread kind of girl, but I do also have them on wheat bread too.
No cut and I keep the crusts.

LL said...

"What is marmite?"
Isn't that jam made out of a midsized rodent?

Iggie said...

Marmite is this black syrupy essence of vegetables. Black, salty, great on toast. Related to Vegemite and Bovril.

I didn't grow up with PB&J, so my PB's are dusted with sugar. Can't wrap my mind around the jelly part.