Thursday, December 08, 2005

A sand pit in my eye.

Quote of the day: “There's no such thing as soy milk. It's soy juice.” ~ Lewis Black

Song of the day: “Lost Cause” by Beck.

State of mind: distracted

Date: 12/8/05

Which do you think is worse: being blind, or having the ability to see but every time you look at something it feels like you have an entire beach of sand in your eyes and because of that you squint like Mr. Magoo?

I was perusing the Amazon.com site today looking for a little inspiration on what to get my nephew (and I decided on Samurai Jack seasons 1 & 2, that lucky brat!) when I came across this:
Know It All Now he has a One A Day calendar. And that reminded me of a time way long ago when I dated this guy who was obnoxiously smart *coughHenrycough* that had a fun time kicking my ass in Trivial Pursuit.
One day I had decided I had had enough and I got the box of Trivia Pursuit out of the closet and for a few weeks proceeded to memorize every single answer on all of the clue cards. It worked. The next time we played, I dominated! I was on fire! I was cheating!! But then I chickened out and got a few answers “wrong” because I thought he would figure out I had done something. Oh well. Sweet victory will come to me some other way.
Anyhow, the reason I bring that up is that if I were to pull out that very same box of Trivia Pursuit and try to answer all those questions, I am fairly confident that I would remember the answer to none of them. Use it or loose it I believe is the motto here, and what are the chances that guy who read the entire Encyclopedia Britannica is going to need to recall that Hans Conon von der Gabelentz was the minister of the duchy of Saxe-Altenburg from 1848 to 1849, or that rinderpest is an acute, highly contagious viral disease of ruminant animals, primarily cattle, that is common in Africa, the Indian subcontinent, and the Middle East? Not very often I bet.
Just saying.
We had a set of encylopedias when I was a kid. Funk and Wagnells. My mother bought thme just so she could say, "oh, go look it up in the Funk and Wangells!" Strange woman, my mother.
Oh well. Here is a little fun courtesy of me and photobucket. Enjoy.
Have fun!!
The true meaning of Christmas. Getting even for a shitty childhood.

PS- Firefly is on again tomorrow on the Sci Fi channel at 7:00 EST. “The Train Job”!

Angel quote of the day:
Fred: Weird. I'm getting electromagnetic readings consistent with spiritual entities, but there's no ectoplasmic matrix.

10 comments:

trinamick said...

My mother had the entire set of leather-bound Time Life books, which she apparently mistook for encyclopedias. At least, she quoted from them any time she was losing an argument.

I suck at Trivial Pursuit, BTW. But I would like to try the new pop culture one. I bet I would rock at that one. My life revolves around the fake lives of others.

LL said...

Oh I sooooo want to sit at a table with you two and play a little game of Trivial Pursuit. I'm nothing if not a repository for worthless information. I suppose that's why I keep coming back here. :P

JustTerry said...

*-----------*
|.6.|1.4|.5.|
|..8|3.5|6..|
|2..|...|..1|
|---+---+---|
|8..|4.7|..6|
|..6|...|3..|
|7..|9.1|..4|
|---+---+---|
|5..|...|..2|
|..7|2.6|9..|
|.4.|5.8|.7.|
*-----------*


*-----------*
|963|174|258|
|178|325|649|
|254|689|731|
|---+---+---|
|821|437|596|
|496|852|317|
|735|961|824|
|---+---+---|
|589|713|462|
|317|246|985|
|642|598|173|
*-----------*

2 min 2 second..

I love sudoku

Jim Donahue said...

I STILL don't get sudoku. I just have a mental block against the concept.

NYPinTA said...

My life revolves around the fake lives of others.
Mine too.

Oh I sooooo want to sit at a table with you two and play a little game of Trivial Pursuit.
Sure, just let me know which game and give me a few weeks, okay?

2 min 2 second..
Show off! :P

just have a mental block against the concept.
Thats ok. I have a mental block against the 80s, and basic math.

mr. schprock said...

"We had a set of encylopedias when I was a kid. Funk and Wagnells. My mother bought thme just so she could say, 'oh, go look it up in the Funk and Wangells!'"

I bought a used set of World Book Encyclopedias which I used to torture my kids with. When they asked me a question I didn't know the answer to, I'd say, "That's a good research question," meaning go look it up. One day the questions stopped.

For a while, I took to reading the "A" volume whenever I had to use the "library" (that room with the white porcelain seat in it) but I never quite got through it and on to "B."

I know what an anemometer is, though.

John said...

Ooo...Trivial Pursuit!

AE: What 60s TV comedy featured the catch phrase "Look that up in your Funk and Wagnalls!"


Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In

Do I get a pie piece?

LL said...

"Sure, just let me know which game and give me a few weeks, okay?"

Great! Ok, it'll be the ... erm... hey waitaminute...

Spirit Of Owl said...

I love trivial pursuits. Like the Internet, TV, sorting my CDs alphabetically, that kind of thing. Since Mr Schprock mentions it, coincidentally, as a child, I used to read the dictionary, literally, A to Z. My friends didn't know what to make of it. But I'd made them out of cotton wool, cardboard, glue, and a felt tip pen, so that's not so surprising.

I'm fairly sure I should stop with this comment now.

Beth said...

Oh gosh, my husband's large family of 15 loved "Trivial Pursuit" and were so highly competitive that I wouldn't play at their home or even be in the same room. My husband is still like this and is a fact magnet so if he reads it, he knows it for life. I kind of hate that about him.