Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Getting to The Core of the issue.

Quote of the day:
Maj. Rebecca Childs, “Let’s assess. We’ve got no communication. We’re probably 800 ft down, but we might as well be 800 miles. We’re in an unobtainium cigar tube with the sonar signature of a rock. We’ve got just enough power to make the ultrasonics burp but no one is listening on those frequencies anyway and nobody knows we are alive.
Dr. Josh Keyes, “...Ok. Give me a minute on this one.”

Song of the day: “Nobody’s Fault” by Led Zeppelin

State of mind: back into the routine

Date: 12/20/05 (aka the day Serenity comes to a store near you on DVD!!)

A very nice friend of mine sent me The Core on DVD for the holidays. Fun movie. But it has me wondering something that I am reluctant to post here, but am going to anyhow. (What could be worse them my freshmen HS picture anyhow?)
So, here it goes. Possibly the dumbest question asked:
Would gravity affect a person the same way near the center of the Earth as it does on its surface? I have a feeling that the answer is no. So, what would happen? Should they have all felt a little bit lighter? And what would have happened if they had been able to go directly into the center of the Earth? Would they have been floating around as if they were in space because there would be equal amounts of gravity pulling on them from all sides? Hmmm…. Any ideas?

Hottie of the week:
He is kind of cute in that ‘I can be a dork’ sort of way.

And don’t forget! (Like I would let that happen.) Serenity comes out on DVD today.
The movie is much better then this cover would have you think. Trust me.

Angel quote of the day:
Gunn: Your heart's a dried-up hunk of gnarly-ass beef jerky.

11 comments:

Henry said...

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/
askasci/env99/env002.htm

Interesting--these folks all say that essentially---there is no gravity at the center of the earth--well, you would feel no gravity--all the forces would cancel each other out

NYPinTA said...

Well that makes me feel a bit better about my question. Thanks Hank. :D

Henry said...

Hank?
You never call me Hank.

NYPinTA said...

It kinda rhymed. *shrugs* Sorry.

LucyDDCF said...

it feels like that movie was just in the theater and ya'll were talking about watching it. WOW. Let me guess, you bought it already?

LL said...

Good link Henry. Oh, and if you really care P, there is gravity in space, it's just that you are in free fall and there's nothing to stop you from falling, like the ground.

mr. schprock said...

When I was a kid, I always used to wonder if I tossed a ball up in the air in a moving car why it didn't go smashing through the back window. My father explained that the ball and I shared the car's mass. So I said, "Oh!" and then asked, "So why doesn't the ball smash through the rear window?"

NYPinTA said...

I wondered the same thing about jumping up on a moving train and why a person that jumped up didn't stay put while the train rolled by beneath them.

trinamick said...

That would be cool, but a mess to clean up off the back wall of the train.

Sadie Lou said...

That movie sure came out on DVD rather quick. Just in time for the holidays?

NYPinTA said...

Well, nothing says Christmas like epic space battles and wicked banter... :D