Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Odds

Quote of the day: “Never tell me the odds!” Han Solo

Song of the day: “I Want You To Want Me” Cheap Trick

State of mind: full

Date: 11/30/05

The new girl that made the brownies the other day is out. She has been for the past three days. Bad back. I feel bad for her and it sucks for me because I am trying to cover her job as well, which used to me my job before we got busy enough to split what I do between two people. Hope she hurries back. I miss my surfing time.
But while I am busy at work, I caught myself thinking about mass extinction. (Because then my job would be soooo much easier, and can you imagine the traffic! A dream! Except for the part where I would be dead too.)
Sticks and stones
May break my bones,
But a really big ass rock will make the entire human race extinct...
Yeah, I know, it doesn't really have the right flow.
Anyhow, here are some stats for you:
There are at least 11,000 Near Earth asteroids floating around out there that are more then a mile wide. A mile wide asteroid hitting us would be bad, just so you know. We have a 1 in 6,000 chance of getting hit by one.
Here are some odds by comparison:
Winning the Mega Millions Jackpot is 1: 175,711,536.
Getting hit by lightening is 1: 600,000.
Tara Reid checks into hospital citing "exhaustion" 1:8
Odds of dying due to a mistake made during medical or surgical care 1: 101,281
Odds of dying due to ignited or melted nightwear 1: 22,149,325
Getting a hole in one in golf with any swing is 1: 33,000.
So, the only thing that has a greater chance of happening other then us getting hit by an asteroid is Tara Reid checking into a hospital for partying too much. Does anyone else not feel good about this?

Angel quote of the day:
Wesley: Feng Shui.
Gunn: Right. What's that mean again?
Wesley: That people will believe anything.

2 comments:

Spirit Of Owl said...

Did you mean:
"Odds of dying due to lack of medical or surgical care: 1: 101,281"?
Because, I reckon the odds of dying due to having medical interventions are actually almost 1:1. :)

Tara Reid's 30 now too. Imagine the odds in 10 years time - face it, whatever happens to the rest of us, she's doomed.

NYPinTA said...

Shoot. I meant due to a mistake during medical treatment. *sigh* Will fix.