Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Happy Election Day!

Quote of the day: "The people who cast the votes don’t decide an election, the people who count the votes do." ~Joseph Stalin

Song of the day: “Hazy Shade Of Winter” by The Bangles

State of mind: bored

Date: 11/8/05

Happy Election Day!
My mother had to get up at four in the morning to work the polls.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. And she wonders why I don’t want to do it anymore.
One day a few years ago that I worked the polls with her I read a whole book. In less then 8 hours. Why? Because my job for the entire day was to sit next to the voting booth and push a button before a person entered because if I didn’t, the curtains wouldn’t close and the person couldn’t vote. That was all I did. All day. And despite that kind of mind numbing boredom and redundancy, those machines are still a million times better then the electronic ones the Federal Government is trying to force on everyone. (And yes, I am still grumpy about that.)

Random fact for the day: Today marks the 403rd anniversary of Oxford University's Bodleian Library, one of the biggest libraries in the world. Known to Oxford scholars as "the Bod," the library currently houses over 9 million books -- quite a step up from its original collection of just 2,000.


Angel quote of the day:
Faith: Dude, you just rescued a puppy.
Angelus: I'm in hell. This is hell, and I'm in it.

4 comments:

LucyDDCF said...

OMG you stopped doing the election thing? I thought you'd still be doing that when you were 80!

LL said...

Waitaminute... you passed on a job that required you to do a simple repetetive task all day long and get paid? Damn... what's next, you quitting your day job?

trinamick said...

9 million books. I would pretty much be in heaven right there.

We must not have any voting going on around here. At least there haven't been any annoying fools promising us their firstborn if we vote for them. What would I do with a firstborn?

NYPinTA said...

Waitaminute... you passed on a job that required you to do a simple repetetive task all day long and get paid? Damn... what's next, you quitting your day job?

Three words: no internet access.