Friday, November 04, 2005

Good, bad, and ugly. You decide which is which.

Quote of the day: “Right now, ole' Boss is happier than a hog knee-deep in slop.” ~ The Balladeer of Hazzard County.

Song of the day: “Little Red Corvette” by Prince… and I don’t know why. Its just there, stuck in my head.

State of mind: a tad nostalgic

Date: 11/4/05

Last night, despite that fact that I haven’t watched this show in the past few seasons, I just had to watch Smallville. Why, you ask. Tom Wopat. Some of you may remember him during the glory days of TV as one half of the dynamic duo on Dukes of Hazzard. I loved that show. (I was 8.) I loved the car, I loved them always getting away with whatever good ol’ boy fun they were having, and it was a nice little show about disobedience, illegal alcohol, and driving really really fast. Good family fun. John Schneider, the other half of that duo plays Jonathan Kent (Clarks soon to have a heart attack father) on Smallville, so having Tom Wopat on was definitely stunt casting of the giddy, glee inducing kind. Luke, er I mean Tom even drove a Dodge Charger. Sure, it was blue, but Dukes of Hazzard fans know what it means: “Nudge, nudge. Wink, wink. Hey you in the audience! It’s the General Lee… incognito! Look. See how clever we are? We painted him blue…”” Ha! I was giggling like a geisha girl. It was a fun episode. (Re: No Lana.) But it got me thinking in a ‘remember when’ sort of way… and oddly, about things we used to have on our walls when I was a kid.
One thing that immediately stood out in my memory was this print my dad had brought home from work one day when he was working at City Hall. They used to have small showings in the lobby for NY based artists, and one year it was TE Breitenbach’s year. He had painted a picture called “Proverbidioms” and the city bought a bunch of posters to sell. My dad snagged one for free and it hung in our kitchen for years.
Hell.
Here are a few choice bits blown up:
You are what you eat. Who in the hell would want to be a carrot?!?
Ouch and EEK!
More Ouch and EEK!

I hated that painting. It was creepy, especially to a fun loving 8 year old. It was supposed to depict a thousand different proverbs in a visual format and all of the proverbs were listed under the painting so you could make a game out of finding them all. I thought it was a new and twisted version of hell. I’d look at that picture and just imagine what sheer torture it would be to have to live in a place like that. Still sends shivers up my spine. But I still wondered where it went, even though I hated it so much. Strange the things you miss when you don’t have them anymore.

Also in this vein of nostalgia, I got another catalog the other day and in it was the DVD of seasons 1 & 2 of The Tomorrow People! I loved that show when I was a kid. It was most definitely not a twisted version of hell. I watched it on Nickelodeon in the 80’s and I would dream of having a computer like TIM. (Later I dated a guy named Tim. Hmmm…. Wonder what Freud would have to say about that. My ex was as dumb as dishwater, so I don’t think I was trying to fulfill a TIM the computer wish. Whatever.) Anyhow, the show was great (to an 8 year old) but I am very reluctant to get the DVDs or even rent them. I bet it’ll be cringe worthy and I’d like to keep my positive memories of the show. (I had a crush on John and I don't really want to discover if I had really bad taste in boys back then.)
So, there you go. The good and bad and ugly of my childhood. Well, sorta.

I loved this show.

Angel quote of the day:
Wesley: Oh, you have a problem with a little torture now? Seem to recall a time when you rather enjoyed it.

11 comments:

LL said...

Ahhh nostalgia... Next thing you know, you'll be waxing eloquent about the subtle differences between a Starbuck and a Stardoe...

NYPinTA said...

Heh. I think the main and defining difference between them is that Stardoe would kick Starbuck's ass. And then steal his cigars.

LL said...

If you think that's the main and defining difference, well, then I'm afraid you need more help than I can offer...

But now that you mention it, the hair is about the same, and so is the cleavage... Hmmm... :ewink:

NYPinTA said...

I'm talking character! Silly of me to not realize you would have something else in mind. :P

LL said...

back to the disturbing picture...

Cat got your tongue I get, but what are the other two?

mr. schprock said...

Have you ever heard of the painter Hieronymus Bosch? We had to study him in art history and that painting immediately reminded me of his stuff.

Speaking of DVDs of TV shows, I just saw you can get the complete series of Star Trek: Voyager. I just might pry open the wallet for that one.

Henry said...

nypinta---you see they even named the candidate "Jennings" as in the baladeers real name?

I love that kinda crap.

My old boss had that poster in his office--and when he called you there to yell at you (he yelled about everything) i would look at that poster.
Not while he was yelling at me--just when he was on the phone in between yells.
Ahhh memories

Ben O. said...

Nypinta - I always love hitting your blog because of the song of the day. I LOVE lil' red corvette. I have to fish it out now. Prince (back when he actually WAS Prince) was really good.

Take it easy - Ben O.

trinamick said...

The quickest way to a man's heart is through his ribcage. Nice.

NYPinTA said...

Cat got your tongue I get, but what are the other two?
'You are what you eat', and 'the way to a man's heart is through his stomach' as well as 'man's best friend'... I think. I'm not so sure about that last one.


I always love hitting your blog because of the song of the day.
I aim to please. :D

NYPinTA said...

The quickest way to a man's heart is through his ribcage. Nice.

Or that too... heh!