Wednesday, November 09, 2005

An Election Day Ritual, or two.

Quote of the day: "Vote early and vote often." ~Al Capone

Song of the day: “Limelight” by Rush

Date: 11/9/05

I guess this is a continuation of yesterdays post but too bad. I didn’t think of this yesterday.
This is the ritual, and it has been going on for years:
My mother works the polls so that leaves me to take my dad to go vote. After work I walk in the door and ask, “Did you vote yet?”
He replies, “Yep. Three times.”
I laugh, putter around, and then announce that I am leaving.
“Where you going?”
“To vote.”
Then he gets up quick like and I say, “Ohhh…you were kidding.”
Then we go vote.
What a fun family, right?

After the polls close my mother gets home pretty late, (for a 65 year old), and I get to hear the gossip of the town we left behind. (She still works at those polls because they can’t get anyone else to do it.)
Her Election Day Ritual happens while at the polling place.
Mr. Richard Lionpants (not his real name BTW) comes in to vote. He stands in front of the booth and inquires, “Who do I vote for?”
My mother replies, “Doesn’t matter. It’s preprogrammed anyhow.”
Everyone has a good laugh.

Random fact for today: The billionth digit of pi is 9

Angle quote of the day:
Lorne: Well put me on the short bus and send me off to clueless school.

4 comments:

mr. schprock said...

Did I mention I totally dig your mother? She's the best.

BTW, I spent the last hour checking and it turns out your random fact is wrong: I sacrificed 6 calculators to find out it's really eleventeen.

Ben O. said...

I think we should all get 3 votes, that way you could give 2 to candidate A because you approve of the way they handle this and only 1 to candidate B because you sort of agree with the way they would handle that.

RUSH rocks - listening to Limelight right now.

Ben O.

trinamick said...

My mom gets one NY channel on satellite (Fox?). It's been entertaining watching the candidates fight back & forth, and knowing that the outcome has no bearing on my life.

NYPinTA said...

BTW, I spent the last hour checking and it turns out your random fact is wrong: I sacrificed 6 calculators to find out it's really eleventeen.

I don't think Ms. Smith would be happy to hear you spent so much time on such a problem... :P