Friday, October 14, 2005

Return of the Solo

Quote of the day: “There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.” ~Frank Zappa

Song of the day: “Bat Country” by Avenger Sevenfold

State of mind: Giddy.

Date: 10/14/05

Does anyone else remember when lead guitarists were gods? Like Jimmy Page, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Kirk Hammett, Randy Rhodes, Yngwie Malmsteen and his poor abused hands, and Steve Vai (who probably paid people to throw things at Yngwie’s hands). Then grunge happened & the guitar solo became extinct. Deemed to cool for the disenfranchised youth I supposed. Whatever. Even on the last Metallica album. The first time I heard it, I thought maybe Kirk had left the band too. But I do believe that the stench of hair band cheesiness has finally worn of the guitar solo because I am officially declaring that they are back!
My evidence? The above song of the day and a pretty nifty piece during the middle of Disturbed’s 5th song "Stricken".
I did have more to say, but everyone is in such a hurry for me to post! So, if this post sucks, look in the mirror. Not my fault. Nope. No way… But to ease the pain of my hurried entry, I’ve included some uplifting links.
Oh… and go see Serenity this weekend. Nothing buy sweetness and light, that movie. ;) And then you can read this and find it funny: Serenity, in 2000 Words or Less.

BTW, Oh crap.

If you don’t like bunnies.

Angel quote of the day:
Angel: They talk about me in chatty rooms?

10 comments:

LucyDDCF said...

this can't be so, I am the first to post a comment on your blog today? Everyone in a hurry for you to post and then they don't comment. ETH? Sup with that?

Beth said...

GREAT Angel quote!

Stellar said...

Listen to The White Stripes. Jack White will restore your faith in humanity. Listen to Elephant.

trinamick said...

Those bunnies need put on Paxil.

Ben O. said...

I totally agree - I have a nice stash of headbanger stuff on my newly acquired iPod (yep, it totally rocks!) and I just love a well written and well performed guitar solo. I have seen Joe Satriani twice and it is amazing how everyone just stands there in awe of how cool his playing is.

The only band I cut some slack to is U2, somehow The Edge manages to not really play solos ("Sunday Bloody Sunday" and "Until the End of The World" aside) and yet still make his guitar presence known in the song.

Great post - Ben O.

BRING BACK THE SOLO!

Henry said...

Iron Butterfly will be pleased at your declaration....!



...and Yngwie...

John said...

I've always been a fan of the Han Solo.

Stellar said...

Speaking of Han Solo, NYP must be encased in frozen carbonite as evidenced by the lack of a blog update.

Speaking of frozen carbonite, why aren't Han's clothes wrinkled when he's released from the frozen carbonite?

mr. schprock said...

I LOVED the bunnies. My favorite was the one with the aliens.

NYPinTA said...

Geez Stellar, you don't think they would have wrinkle resistant clothing?

Glad you liked the suicidal bunnies Mr. Schprock. :D