Monday, October 31, 2005

My Halloween Horror

Quote of the day: “It's as much fun to scare as to be scared." Vincent Price

Song of the day: “Little Ghost” by White Stripes

State of mind: sugar rushed

Date: Halloween

Once upon a time I was friends with a psychopath named Henry…. But we’ll get back to him later in this story.
The funny thing about growing up is that you don’t notice you are doing so until someone says something like, “Aren’t you a little old to be out trick or treating?” That is what happened to me when I was 15. I didn’t think I was too old. My mother didn’t, or she would have said so before I left that evening in my witty costume.
I was a dot. A yellow dot, to be precise. It was my minimalist year. I was quite proud of that costume, so when this old bitty asked me that I was ready to throw down! Ok, not really. Honestly, I was dumbfounded. Up until that point going out on Halloween was an unquestioned fact. October 31st would roll around and everyone got free goodies. What did age have to do with it?
It didn’t occur to me until later that maybe she meant the two punks that had been standing behind me that didn’t even bother to dress up. I am referring to Henry and his best friend at the time Mike, (his real name BTW). They had come to my tiny little town for some Halloween mischief… the kind that gets reported in the paper the next day as “record-breaking damage”.
At some point during the night after Mrs. Not-long-for-this-world dissed me, someone started picking on my costume. (It’s a safe bet it was Henry. This was High School. It was inevitable.) Somehow that teasing escalated though to terrifying proportions when someone *Henry* decided it would be amusing to chase me around the neighborhood chanting “Kill the dot, kill the dot” with a butterfly knife. Truthfully, the knife was probably as sharp as a muffin… or some other really dull thing, but I didn’t know that. I just knew that suddenly Halloween wasn’t so much fun anymore. I got over it, but I never wore yellow around him ever again, just in case.
I still love Halloween; and I will never, ever tell a kid that he or she is to old for trick or treating, because being a grown up really sucks and if you can put it off for as long as you can, I say do so.
Happy Halloween, everyone!! Stay safe.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Angel quote of the day:
Angelus: Bodies, bodies everywhere and not a drop to drink.

8 comments:

LL said...

This Henry sounds like a dreadful chap... Next you'll tell us he's a major Rush fan or something... :P

Henry said...

Ha!!!
Second biggest one that I know of LL



Nypinta--I liked you--couldnt you tell?
I thought if I stabbed you, youd fall for me forever....
*sigh*
See I never did stab you--and look, here we are not together.
I blame the dot.

NYPinTA said...

I thought if I stabbed you, youd fall for me forever...
That is probably the...um... creepiest thing you have ever said.
:P

Henry said...

Really??

I'm sure i've said worse.
When I asked you out--wasn't that creepier?

:)

trinamick said...

Ahh...Halloween stalker love. So sweet, in a ripped from the headlines sorta way.

mr. schprock said...

"…because being a grown up really sucks and if you can put it off for as long as you can, I say do so."

Amen to that, sister.

I still trick or treat. My wife dresses up as my nurse, and when the people with shocked expressions on their faces drop candy in my "Man From U.N.C.L.E." treat bag, she says, "Yes, honey, that's candy! Yum, yum! Now wave bye-bye to the nice people!"

LL said...

I sure hope you meant stabbed as in "plunged a knife into" rather than as some euphamism for... well... ick.

NYPinTA said...

1000 points to Henry for making LL say "ick". Good job.