Sunday, October 02, 2005

The Big Damn Movie

Quote of the day: "I'm not going to say it's the best science fiction movie, ever.
Oh, wait. Yes I am." Orson Scott Card, about Serenity

Song of the day: "Guerilla Radio" by Rage Against the Machine

State of mind: distracted

Date: 10/3/05

Well. I finally got to see it. Serenity. The Big Damn Movie.
I won't spoil it for anyone here, and boy oh boy are there tons of things I could spoil! It was chock full of shocking goodness that I was a bit dazed as I left the movie theater.

My review:

I loved this movie.
I was a big fan of the TV show that it is based on, but in a way I’m jealous of anyone who is going to see the movie that wasn’t already familiar with the Firefly universe because as a fan, there were certain things I was looking for and sometimes that can be distracting. The movie is very accessible to anyone who hasn’t seen the TV show so if you are concerned that you might get lost because you hadn’t seen the show, don’t be. Go see the movie. Trust me.
It had fantastic dialogue, great visuals, and gorgeous music.
It was beautiful when it needed to be, ugly when necessary, funny, sad, and exciting. It was everything a movie like this should be! And most important (at least for me), it was surprising. Too many movies are so obvious you already know how it will end before it is half over. But not this one.
There is a scene where Sheppard Book says to Mal, “They’ll come at you sideways.” Well, Joss does too. He does the unexpected and it just rocks. This isn’t a warm and fuzzy action adventure. People are at risk; nothing is sacred, nothing safe. I love that.
I even thought to myself more than once, ‘why couldn’t George Lucas do it like this?’ If anyone recalls, I saw Star Wars Episode III and was (sadly) bored to tears by the opening sequence. Never once was I bored with Serenity. I was clutching my seat, gasping in shock along with everyone else in the theater. And when it was over, they audience applauded, in a movie theater. What does that tell you?
Also, even as a woman I can say this without jealousy, but Gina Torres is gorgeous in this film. She needs to be in more movies.
I’ll be seeing it again next weekend. I suggest you all do the same.

Angel quote of the day:
Lilah: Look, Angel. I know you've been out of the loop for a while, but I'm still evil. I don't do errands unless they're evil errands.

21 comments:

John said...

Dammit. Halfway into reading this, when I got to the "They'll come at you sideways" part, Joe popped into my head, singing his perennial favorite "I did it sideways" (to the tune of "My Way") He's honestly song that TWICE already today, and now he's in MY HEAD singing it even more. I need to hit something.

NYPinTA said...

As long as it isn't me!
Hit Joe.
Everyone wants you to anyway. :P

John said...

Yeah, I know "song that" should be "sung that." Or is it "sang that?" Crud. Well, it's definitely not "song that."

I was going to chant a relaxing mantra, but that's probably not the best idea. So I guess I'll stick with hitting people.

trinamick said...

I'm officially jealous. I'll have to wait til I go to Omaha this weekend to see it. Thanks for the lack of spoilers!

John said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
NYPinTA said...

I know some people love spoilers, but not me. Especially if I wasn't warned about them. I got spoiled with a major event in this movie and I think it did diminish it for me just a tad... so I try not to do the same to others.

Beth said...

I read a review where a critic stated if you hadn't seen "Firefly" to skip "Serenity" because you'd be lost. Once I read that I was like, "Nah, I'll skip the film." So, are you saying it isn't like that?

NYPinTA said...

You can definitely follow what is going on if you haven't seen the show. But after you see the movie, you'll want to see the show. ;)

John said...

There were a lot of mysteries that they never really got to explain on the show because it was cancelled so fast, but most of them were revealed in the movie. So really if you don't know anything about the show, the only difference is that when you find something out in the movie, you won't know that the people who have already seen the show have waited all this time to find out. Did that make any sense? It sounded a lot better in my head.

The only thing that wasn't really made clear in the movie is that the pilot and the black chick are married. In fact, early on when the captain tells her to talk to her husband, the first person she speaks to is the big guy with the all guns. That probably might have confused some people who had no knowledge of the backstory. Maybe they could have thrown in a scene where they were consumating or something. You know, for the sake of the newcomers.

NYPinTA said...

Yeah, that is the one thing that they could have made a tad clearer.
BTW John, I think I used your favorite Angel quote a few posts down.

Henry said...

Hey whats this movie now?

John said...

"BTW John, I think I used your favorite Angel quote a few posts down."

Yes. Yes you did.

Stellar said...

I've got to catch it this weekend. I spent all weekend working on my hardwood flooring. Hurricane Rita totally blew rain under my door and frelled up my wood flooring. I spent Saturday and Sunday chiseling indivdual planks out. I still have to scrape the dried glue and shove fresh wood in the holes.

Heh, that's what she said.

Scott said...

I haven't seen a good sci fi flick in a long time, but I love the Battlestar Galactica series. The second season ended with the discovery and reunion with the Battlestar Pegasus. The show rocks and rolls all over the original. Thanks, I'll be checking this one out for sure.

mr. schprock said...

Thanks Nypinta. I'll now see Serenity before the Corpse Bride.

Ben O. said...

I never really like Rage against the Machine before, but lately I can't stop listening to them. I actually saw them open up for U2 back in the day and now I wish I had paid more attention.

Ben O.

Spirit Of Owl said...

I wish I had something to say about the movie, but I don't... Just wanted to say hi!

Anyway, I haven't seen the series yet, either... Sci-Fi channel puts it on when the kids are needing homework or bath or bedtime attention. Someone should talk to Sci-Fi, or my kids, or hire me a nanny so that I can find out what's really going on out there...!!!

Stellar said...

The only reviewer I really pay attention to just put out his Serenity review:

http://www.filmfreakcentral.net/screenreviews/serenity.htm

3/4 stars is a winner in this guy's book (especially since he frequently gives out zeros - which Mr. Ebert does not).

Here's an excerpt:

The captain of an incongruous hunk of interplanetary junk--dubbed "Serenity" for said captain's transformative moment during a civil war in a valley of the same, ironic name--stands in a shaft of light and asks his disciples if, in essence, they're willing to follow him into Hell for a belief that their martyrdom will be in the cause of a greater glory. He's asking his crew, but he's also asking a slavering fanboy audience that has followed the good ship Serenity here to the big screen after the braintrust at Fox ("We'd rather focus on 'Stacked'--I'm sure you understand") cancelled Whedon's "Firefly" just eleven episodes into its run.

trinamick said...

Finally got to see it! Lovin' every minute of it...well, except for a couple of minutes...

LucyDDCF said...

I guess that is why I watch movies like SPANGLISH (tear jerker) and THE PACIFIER... that way there are no cultic BS things to get in the way... like um... fanatic's being strange because you not familiar with the firefly thing... great review, why is the movie only in the number 9 spot?

NYPinTA said...

Because I think too many people have this silly idea that the theater will be filled with fanatics. No one dressed up like anybody from the show. No duels outside like there were with guys dressed up like Obi Wan for the last three Star Wars flicks. Just people who want to see a fun, exciting movie about truth and freedom and not getting eatin by cannibals.
Also, a bunch of well reviewed movies just came out.
Hopefully word of mouth will bring it back up... or not. It opened as #1 in the UK