Thursday, September 01, 2005

Unfathomable

Quote of the day: “Charity begins at home.” ~Terence

Song of the day: “Cruel Sun” by Rusted Root

State of mind: stunned

Date: 9/1/05

I am turning 33 soon and I’ve developed this weird tick in my eye… not that the two are related…
The good news is that I am taking a few days off. I always take the week of my birthday as a vacation. The weather is usually good and because nothing much is going on I can go where I please and not be bothered by crowds. No special events on the agenda for this week, a little of this, a little of that, but mostly a lot of doing nothing. In other words, I don’t have enough money to go anywhere interesting. Not that I would go anywhere with gas prices being what they are anyhow. I like it up here. I don’t need to go anywhere else.
It is at times like these that I am doubly grateful for being a New York girl. Sure, winters suck, but compared to tornados, hurricanes, earthquakes, mudslides, and yearly forest fires, I will take a little snow.
I was watching the news during my lunch hour and I take back what I said about looters being shot. At least the ones down there now stuck with no way to get out. You want those Doritos? Take those Doritos. Take whatever you need. Damn.
I cannot imagine what it must be like to not only lose everything that you have, but to be so damn stuck in a place that has nothing and have no idea or any way to get out. Unfathomable.
I came into the middle of the story but there is a crowd at some convention center, but no help. No buses to move them, no food being handed out, no water. I don’t understand why they are there. I mean, were they told to go there? Or are they just gathering there because they have nowhere else to go? I bet it’s a bit of both.
There are reports of some people shooting at the helicopters that are coming in to rescue people and that baffles me completely too. Are they doing it to get their attention? Are trying to scare off others so they get rescued first? Damn. Again, unfathomable.

Angel quote of the day:
Sahjhan: Boy, you vengeful types sure aren’t good at playing with others, are you?

11 comments:

Beth said...

What part of NY are you in? I'm near Saratoga and I really like this state!

NYPinTA said...

Capital District. :D
Not as pretty as Saratoga though, but I like it.

trinamick said...

The Superdome was supposed to be a refuge for those who had no place to go. But I believe part of the roof fell in. They are trying to get the 20,000 people gathered there transported to the Astrodome in Houston by bus.

NYPinTA said...

Yeah. They were getting those people out, but I guess there is another convention center in a different part of N.O. that everyone was going to because they were told to, but there isn't anyone there to help them. Yet.
The head guy for FEMA said busses and help are on the way last night, it's just getting to it seems to be the problem. It's just chaos down there. Sad.

trinamick said...

My boss was saying last night that there are reports of rapes and murders there too. One guy shot his sister in the head during a fight over a bag of ice. How screwed up is that?

JustTerry said...

Happy Birthday!!

PS Rusted Root, rocks, I used to see them play live for free down here in the burgh.. always a great show.

LucyDDCF said...

Happy Birthday, it is today SEPT 7 RIGHT!!!!!!

mr. schprock said...

Happy Birthday, Nypinta! 33 huh? Just a kid!

trinamick said...

Boy, it'd sure be nice if someone updated their blog. Not mentioning any names or anything...

John said...

Hey, give her a break. She's old now.

trinamick said...

Good point. I hope she didn't fall and break a hip or something. Stop being so stubborn. That's what that walker is there for!