Friday, August 26, 2005

Sci-Fi? As if!

Quote of the day: “On Earth, No-one Can Hear You Say "Um".” ~Terry Pratchett, Only You Can Save Mankind

Song of the day: "Speed of Sound" by Coldplay

State of mind: OK

Date: 8/26/05

I don’t think this is a secret but I am a science fiction fan. I used to love the Sci-Fi channel when they actually aired sci-fi. Lately though (and by that I mean the past few years) it’s been B monster movies and disaster flicks mixed with bad “reality” shows. Blech.
In an effort to gain some kind of status they started a new campaign last year. Changed their logo, unveiled a slew of new commercials and a spiffy new slogan: “What If?”
Some of the commercials are actually pretty cool. There is one with a girl standing in a field that turns into a flock of butterflies, a puddle jumping dragon, and another that at first is a large monster walking through the creepy woods but turns out to be four small creatures under one cloak.
The “upcoming events” commercials are the best in my opinion because they can pick and choose from the most spectacular scenes of whatever shows they are going to eventually screw in the end by canceling before their time. The best one had Sean Bean introducing various shows and specials. You may remember him as Boromir in Lord of the Rings, or 006 in Golden Eye, or the doomed Cleric in Equilibrium. He’s a fantastic actor even though he never makes it through a film alive. I think his agent hates him. In keeping with his career, I do think it would have been hysterical if before the commercial ended someone came out and shot him. Just for consistencies sake you see.
As funny as that would have been, the one commercial that isn’t in any way is the dog-turning-into-a-balloon one. You may have seen this slice of ‘oh my god, that’s disgusting’ but if not, let me describe it for you. A man has a small dog in his hands. He pulls up the dogs tail and places the dogs butt against his lips (I am not kidding) and then he blows. As a result part of the dog turns into a balloon. He blows again, and the rest of the dog inflates. Then the balloon-dog kicks the guy. I’d kick him too…and the guy who came up with that particular concept, along with any and all of the people that heard it and agreed it was something they should put on film! What exactly are they advertising anyhow? Actually, never mind. I don’t really want to know.

Speaking of gross. The Brothers Grimm starts this weekend and my goal is to see it on sunday. My mother told me yesterday that Gene Shallot didn't like it and my response was "I'm supposed to trust the taste of a guy with that mustache? I don't think so." See ya sunday boys!!

Angel quote of the day:
Gunn: Ooh, pretty wicked looking toy.
Wesley: I'll say. It almost looks like a spring-loaded decapitation device.
Cordelia: Or it makes toast.

7 comments:

mr. schprock said...

Actually, the balloon-dog one sounds kind of funny.


Um, in a very non-humorous way.

Stellar said...

I'd sure like to choke that dog.

Henry said...

Ha!!!
Good one stellar.

NYPinTA said...

I'd sure like to choke that dog.
Who? Gene Shallot?

Lucy Stern said...

My husband loves sci-fi.

cali said...

Sean Bean is indeed a fine irish actor - never noticed that he never made it to the end of a movie til you mentioned it - you're right though!
I grew up loving SciFi - but hardly ever watch the Sci Fi channel. What does that say? I'm too old or it's too lame?

Beth said...

I used to love sci-fi and at times, still do. The genre is changing though.

I want to see "The Brothers Grimm" and heard it wasn't half bad. Hmmmm...