Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Schlub

Quote of the day: “Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese.” ~G. K. Chesterton

Song of the day: “Creep” by Radiohead or “When the Levee Breaks” by Led Zeppelin

State of mind: confused

Date: 8/30/05

I feel like such a schlub. I was going to blog (it’s a verb now, right?) about this dream I had last night with Viggo Mortensen and how bummed I was when I woke up to my reality where he is not. (I can’t help it. He’s hot! In a dorky sort of way… which makes him perfect.) But after shuffling out into the living room and putting on the TV, my feelings of schlubiness were activated by footage of the hurricane devastated areas down south. Here I am feeling blue over a lousy dream and the people on TV are sitting in the middle of a cesspool that was once their home. Brings to mind that line from The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, “water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink.”
But it gets worse. Along with the images of destroyed homes were people looting, which is making me mad, which leads to more guilt because I’ve never lost all of my belongings in one fell swoop so I have no idea what goes through the brain at times like that and who am I to judge? Except, they weren’t looting the grocery store. At least not in the footage I saw. If your house is submerged under 18 feet of water or flattened to rubble, just where the hell are you going to put that new TV anyhow? Is it a scarcity issue? Do people see others grabbing stuff and freak out thinking “I have to get some too?” I mean it worked for TY and the Beanie Babies. Why not cloths and TVs?
I guess until I’ve walked a mile in their squishy shoes I shouldn’t be so quick to suggest that looters be shot in the leg on site. So I’m going to do what I usually do when I feel guilty, (which is inevitable since I was baptized Catholic. Never mind that I am not Catholic anymore. That dab of water doomed me), but can’t do anything about it. Donate money:
Red Cross
Salvation Army
Baton-Rouge Area Foundation
National Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster
Louisiana Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals

Angel quote of the day:
Darla: Gosh, I’m just the luckiest vampire girl in the whole world.

5 comments:

cali said...

On New Years Day i got really drunk and donated a pretty significant fraction of my bank account (admittedly not much to speak of) to tsunami aid - can't do katrina aid now. Sad thing is, since i don't believe in God, i can't pray for the survivors of katrina either, and crying for them won't help much.

trinamick said...

Hope that monkey-hating Stellar is safe wherever he's hiding on a roof.

Should I donate extra since it's apparently my fault?

Henry said...

Can't undo what you did huh Trina?

John said...

I hope stellar and his family are okay. And I'm also slightly concerned about all those dead monkey in his freezer. If you think the situation is bad now, imagine if all those dead monkeys start floating around Louisiana, and everyone gets the deadly Mutaba virus. That would suck.

Scott said...

I'm just glad I'm not having to protect my kids from the hoardes, wondering what atrocities starving people are going to commit. I would have no problem looting a grocery store for food and water, but not somebody's house for stereo equipment. Ok, may a flat screen tv...