Monday, August 15, 2005

More birthdays!

Quote of the Day: “Your sister's not a cold-blooded murderer. She's never been a planner.” ~ Karen Tyler from Wonderfalls

Song of the Day: “Ain’t Coming Home” by Silvertide

State of mind: Mondays should die!

Date: August 15, 2005 (aka my niece’s 14th B-day!)

I have a song stuck in my head. The theme to the very short-lived show called “Wonderfalls”. It is out on DVD now, all 13 episodes, and I recommend them highly. Just skip the intro. Trust me.

My niece, the one that got me booted from AOL for calling another girl a slut online, is 14 years old today. That is wrong on so many levels. I cannot believe that in just two more years, she will be allowed to operate a moving vehicle. I don’t envy my sister the driving lessons, especially if she takes after my sister in that regard.
I remember like it was yesterday her first winter. Actually, it was her second. My sister and I got her dressed up in her pink snowsuit and put her in her little pink sled and pulled her around on the snow till we came to a small hill. We tried to slide her down it, but the sled tipped over and she landed in the snow face first, which made her cry. And she didn’t stop till we brought her home.
When my sister had to drive her husband to work I would go along with her because the section of the city he worked in made her nervous. My niece would insist on going as well and was happy as a clam the whole trip there. Once he got out of the car though and we were on our way home, she would scream at the top of her lungs, “I want Daddy! I want Daddy!” till I wanted to used the cigarette lighter to shove in my ears, cauterizing them from any further sound. Instead, I would try to calm her down by singing “Little Bunny Foo Foo” or “Found a Peanut”, or any of the dozens of inane songs I was forced to learn during my time as a Girl Scout. (I was only in it for the cookies. Badges? I don’t need no stinking Badges! Also, the few that I did get, my mother never bothered to sew onto my sash. Instead she left them in a pile and then started to loose them one by one till there were none left to not sew on anyhow. She had a way of squishing any and all enthusiasm I had for anything as a kid. Still does actually. It’s a gift.) Usually the songs worked, but I started to really hate that ol’ Bunny Foo Foo and an adult version of the song became my favorite. I think I ruined my sister’s child. No wonder she’s calling girls names online. Heh.
As she got older, she became more and more pushy. Amazing how bossy someone only 3 foot 5 can be. It was like she was taking cues from Taxi reruns on Nick at Night or something. When my sister used to pick me up from work, she would send my niece in to get me and without bating an eyelash at the tender age of 8 she would walk in the door and say with complete seriousness, “Come on Aunt NYPinTA. Let’s go,” and sound like a mob enforcer as she said it!
Last time I saw her, she hadn’t changed much. Got taller, louder, learned a little karate… I am going to fear her when she is full-grown. Guess I should of stuck with the child friendly version of the Bunny Foo Foo song.
Anyhow, Happy Birthday sweetie. Don't hurt me.

Angel quote of the day:
Angel: (After they take his coat) No wire hanger cause that's leather.

12 comments:

trinamick said...

Little Bunny Foo Foo
Workin' hard for Satan
Pickin' up the field mice
And biting off their heads...

*sigh* I loved childhood.

LucyDDCF said...

damn where did the time go, 14 already? Happy B-day "J"

Spirit Of Owl said...

My eldest daughter's 14. Incredible innit? Happy birthday to J!

I really think you should deal with your mum issues... :)

LL said...

"Badges? I don’t need no stinking Badges!"

Ah PinTA... some things just warm my heart...

mr. schprock said...

"Little Bunny Foo Foo
Workin' hard for Satan
Pickin' up the field mice
And biting off their heads..."

Oh great, Trinamick! Now I've got it stuck in my head and it doesn't even rhyme!

Good message though…

NYPinTA said...

Little Bunny Foo Foo
Workin' hard for Satan
Pickin' up the field mice
And biting off their heads...


Is that the Ozzy version? I like that!
My version changed "little" with...um... another word. I mean, he was a rabbit after all. ;)

Ah PinTA... some things just warm my heart... I try. :P

John said...

I still read your name as New York Piñata.

Mr. Schprock, the original song didn't rhyme, either. I had it on some tape I had when I was a kid. Along with some song whose only lyrics were "Lloyd George knew my father, Father knew Lloyd George" over and over again. I think it was written by the Viet Kong.

NYPinTA said...

I still read your name as New York Piñata. It's because you think I am filled with candy goodness, right, and not something you want to hit with a stick?

trinamick said...

I was talking about this with my sister last night, and she had never heard the Little Bunny Foo Foo song. Is it a generational thing?

John said...

"It's because you think I am filled with candy goodness, right, and not something you want to hit with a stick?"
Can't it be both?

Trina, your explination of your famliy caused my brain to partially deflate, but your sister is older than you, right? I would think that song was pretty old and gets passed down from generation to generation. Like all those asinine songs my dad used to sing. Dammit, see, now all I can think of is the cannibal king with the big nose ring.

Jim Donahue said...

I LOVE the "Wonderfalls" song!

NYPinTA said...

Can't it be both? No.

I love the Wonderfalls song too, but it just won't stop!