Thursday, August 11, 2005

Ain't technology grand?

Quote of the Day: “I also don't trust Caribou anymore. They're out there, on the tundra, waiting... Something's going down. I'm right about this.” ~ Joss Whedon

Song of the Day: “Welcome to the Jungle” by Guns N Roses

State of mind: ok, but a little tired.

Date: 8/11/05 (my three favorite numbers in that date. 8, 11, and 5. Cool.)

Technology is amazing. Ten years ago the only people to have pagers were doctors or drug dealers. Now the only people to have them are those waiting for a table at the Olive Garden, because now everyone carries cell phones. Right now I am watching some customer pace back and forth in our lot smoking a cigarette and talking on his cell. In the hall behind me is another one on the phone. And I really wish he would keep his voice down. I think our society is slowly loosing its sense of privacy for the simple reason that no one keeps their business private anymore. Voyeurism is the new black I guess.
I remember when I first got a cell phone. My sister called me while I was at the mall and my face turned three shades of red from embarrassment that my purse was ringing. I still don’t like using my cell in public. Now I don’t bother keeping it on when I am out. If I need to call someone, I will. It’s for emergencies only. Also, I can’t seem to answer it without hanging up on who is calling me anyhow.
I was saddened to watch on the news the other day that some environmentalists are fighting against cell towers made to look like trees to be placed in the many parks we have in this state. Soon there will be nowhere on Earth you can go to get away from someone being able to call you on the phone, and that is what makes me sad. Sure, the ability for instant communication could be handy but there has got to be a limit! I am not a fan of being without things like running water or the TV, but some of the best weekends ever were spent sans technological gadgets. (Except for CD players. I mean, come on!)
I guess it’s the sense that being so far removed from your regular life makes you not responsible for anything. Don’t even bother wasting time thinking about all the things you would be worrying about if you were at home because you can’t do anything about them anyhow. But if you had your phone, or a laptop, the worries just follow you. The only difference would be the scenery. And that isn’t a vacation at all.

On an unrelated note: My foot smells like coffee with hazelnut and vanilla creamer because a saleman "accidently" spilled his coffee all over me. So now, not only do I have one slightly sticky foot, because of the smell of the vanilla I’m going to walk around with a craving for baked goods all day.

I have a couple "hottie of the weeks" to add, but I can’t find good enough pictures of the two fella’s I have in mind. Pity, right?

Oh! Don't forget, those of you lucky enough to live in a light pollution free area, the Perseid Meteor Showers peak tomarrow!
MSN link
or
The Space Site

Angel quote of the day:
The Host: All right, just remember. Xenophobia is kind of a watchword where I'm from.
Gunn: I don't get it. Why are they afraid of Xena? I mean think she's kinda fly.

10 comments:

trinamick said...

I hate cellphones with the fire of a thousand suns. I don't have a home phone, just a cell, and everyone thinks it gives them license to call me wherever I'm at.

"Sorry I missed your call. I was in the bathroom."

"Why didn't you just take the cell phone with you?"

AAAAUUUGGGHHH!

John said...

My dad takes the coardless phone with him into the bathroom. It must sound like he's in a battlezone on the other end.

mr. schprock said...

I like the peple who walk around with the things hanging on their ears. They remind me of the Borg from Star Trek.

NYPinTA said...

Resistance is futile...

Henry said...

Schprock. Elaborate.


nyointa--you need me to send you a few pics of me? Why didnt you say so

;)

LL said...

"Date: 8/11/05 (my three favorite numbers in that date. 8, 11, and 5. Cool.)"

What happened to 42?

"Soon there will be nowhere on Earth you can go to get away from someone being able to call you on the phone,"

heh. Come out here. I can't get a frelling signal in my own home...

cali said...

who the hell puts vanilla in their coffee?
apparently salesmen (answering his own question).

mr. schprock said...

"Schprock. Elaborate."

The Borg are living creatures (usually humanoid) — with tissue and all that good stuff — that have been augmented with machine parts. In other words, they have gadgets hanging off of them in various places. They like saying "resistance is futile" a lot. Good line to use at parties BTW.

Spirit Of Owl said...

Miniaturisation is something to be loved completely. Look forward to a future where TV images will beam directly into our heads. Video conferencing will mean we need hardly ever be in the same Galaxy as our children to have a healthy relationship with them. The Japanese 6' cubed apartments will soon look like mansions as portable miniature homes are developed. They'll be like clothes, but with a dishwasher fitted. Resistance is futile. Seriously. The marketing departments are already making sure of that.

LucyDDCF said...

i can attest to tech bitting donkey dick. Where I work, instead of keying in the price of the food you have to find the "button" for it. Very frusterating.

Metor shower... NYPINTA you will be proud of Molly she bought a "cheap 20x magnification" telescope with her alloance for the month. who'd have thought she would want one of them! But I thought it was way neet considering she could have wanted something lame like a barbie.