Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Zero

Quote of the day: “If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite.” ~ William Blake. (Isn’t this the quote that Jim Morrison was inspired by to name the band?)

Song of the day: “Pig” Nine Inch Nails

State of mind: easily annoyed

Date: 7/16/05 (This was the day I was going to post this, but our building got hit by lightening and we lost our computers.)

Further proof the universe wants me to be a renter for the rest of my life:
I got another book club catalog in the mail yesterday. The American Scientific Book Club. Why? Why does the universe hate me so?? As per my usual custom, I succumbed to temptation and opened it. You would think I would learn. But no… I just have to look at the glossy pages.
As I flipped through I caught myself thinking things like, “Sure I would love to know the history of Zero and why the Christians feared it…”
Why would they fear it anyhow? I mean I am no fan of math, but that’s because I spent one summer taking trigonometry over again. It wasn’t my fault really. We had a student teacher and all he taught us was how to whistle the theme song to the Andy Griffith Show. And no, that wasn’t on the regents at the end of the year. Plus I had a brand new boyfriend and he took up a lot of my brain space at the time. So, in short, the problems I have with math are this: men. Yep. I am beginning to wonder if it isn’t a conspiracy; the man just trying to keep me down, or at least unable to balance my checkbook.
Anyhow, if it wasn’t the Babylonians that had come up with the zero, I’m sure eventually someone would have. A rapper looking for a rhyme for ‘hero’ in a diddy dissing his former homeboys for frontin’ or haten’ or whatever. Then it would be a trend as big as “bling” or “fo’ shizzle” until it gets over used by guys like Dr. Phil or the psuedo-journalists on Entertainment Tonight or E! News and we would all have a good laugh at how silly we were way back when… two months ago.
Or not.

Random fact via Mythbusters: in one year there are 10 times more deaths due to falling coconuts then shark attacks. Keep that in mind the next time you go to the beach. It isn’t what’s in the water. It’s what’s in the trees.

I also wanted to point out that these three men share a birthday: Nelson Mandela, Senator and former astronaut (which makes him the only man to have traveled in two types of voids. Ba da dum!) John Glenn, and Vin Diesel. You think that means anything?

Angel quote of the day:
Darla: "Smart young lawyers, hungry for their big break and whoops, the boss gets eaten."

11 comments:

cali said...

I think you should get hit by lightning (lightEning?) more often - the two voids joke was inspired.

The blake quote was also the basis of Aldous Huxley's "Doors of Perception". Whether Morrison derived the Doors' name from Blake or Huxley doesn't matter - its probably my favorite quote ever - thanks for citing it.

My wife insists "zero" was discovered in India - but she's Indian - what d'ya expect?

"Nothing can stop me now"

NYPinTA said...

"...the two voids joke was inspired."
Thanks. It's just cuz I think John Glen is a very very brave man.

BTW- your wife could very well be right. I'll let you know why the used copy I bought off amazon.com gets here. :D

John said...

How do you discover zero? Zero isn't anything. It's nothing. Discovering nothing doesn't seem all that impressive. I've discovered nothing, too.

Fox said...

Dude!

Zero is everything.

NYPinTA said...

"I've discovered nothing, too."

Yeah, I know. I've read your blog... :P

John said...

I've discovered nothing as recently as a few hours ago when I checked my bank account. I opened it and found...nothing!

I don't like that story.

NYPinTA said...

Ha! But it's one I can relate too.

trinamick said...

Didn't you write a tale awhile back about someone your mom worked with dying from a falling coconut? Or falling out of a dying coconut tree? Or something in a rain forest? Inquiring minds want to know.

I've found zero before. Right after I took the IQ test.

NYPinTA said...

Yep. It was a mango grove.

trinamick said...

Well, I knew there was a tree & death involved.

NYPinTA said...

I have come to the conclusion that trees are evil. The only tree to ever be represented in any sort of frank and truthful manner is the one in Poltergeist that tried to eat the kid. That's how trees really are. They just have everyone snowed. They are plotting to take over the world. Mark my words!