Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Some Enchanted Evening

Quote of the day: “What's another word for Thesaurus?” ~ Steven Wright

Song of the day: “Serenity” by Godsmack

State of mind: Easily distracted.

Date: 7/27/05

My butt is tired. Last night was the annual Park Playhouse event that most of us here at work go to because we are a corporate sponsor. We go, we have a BBQ, we drink, we drink some more, then we sit our asses in plastic chairs in front of the tiny stage for two frelling hours. This year’s performance was South Pacific. It was all right, but a bit of a downer during the second half. At least it didn’t rain, which is what usually happens and we end up spending half the night under the courtesy tent waiting for the storm to pass. Ah, culture in a small city.
The only major down point in the whole show was the homeless man that came over to our tent and started to freak out on our General Manager. My sense of compassion was warring with my sense of ‘Hey stop swearing and spitting all over everyone’. What do you do in that situation? Can you imagine being that guy and seeing all this food being handed out? The frustration has got to make you nuts! On the other hand, he incorrectly used the word ‘homeboy’ so no food for you homeless man.
He left after a threat to call the police was issued. Sad.
We got home at 11:00 and I spent the next two hours online. Somehow, and I don’t know how, despite having no life, I am extremely busy. It’s a paradox. One that I worry if I try to understand could cause the universe to explode. As cool as that would be, I would be included in the carnage so I think I will take a pass.

Angel quote of the day:
Gunn: Damn. Somebody have an apocalypse and forget to invite us?

9 comments:

trinamick said...

That sounds like my kind of evening. You know, minus the homeless man.

NYPinTA said...

Actually, we had two. The second guy looked like he was about to try the same thing, but decided against it all on his own. Maybe he was a vegitarian.

*sigh* I'm going to a bad place for pickin on homeless people, aren't I?

mr. schprock said...

I work in the city. Our office building has a little alcove that leads to the front door, perfect shelter for the homeless. This morning I rolled in on my bike at around 6:10 and found my way to the door blocked by a homeless guy sleeping on newspapers. So I had to yell, "I have to get in the building! I need to use the door!" That got him scrambling. When he said he was sorry, I told him that it was OK, I just didn't want to conk him on the head with the door.

Henry said...

I told this once before-I think on the FMD boards--When I went to Pitt, they had local college rag that you could vote on everything form favorite french fries to favorite panhandler. The guy that wore the big sombrero and shook a moracca always won. I think this guy at your festivities wont get any votes around that part of town...

NYPinTA said...

At least a sombraro and moraccas are entertaining. Sort of.

mr. schprock said...

Nypinta, what did they use for music? Was it a live orchestra or intrumentals on CD?

NYPinTA said...

They have an orchestra. Of all the plays I have seen, they are the one consistant good thing.

Stellar said...

no food for you homeless man

Do they make that in a bumper sticker?

NYPinTA said...

Well, "Hey, I give money to the Regional Food Bank so you don't have to come to the park and beg off people." is too wordy. So, maybe they should. But a t-shirt would be better.