Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Oh the places I roam…

Quote of the Day: “Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality.” ~Jules de Gaultier

Song of the Day: "Angry Johnny" by Poe

State of Mind: filled with nervous energy.

Date: 7/6/05

Huh. Would you look at that, the date is in descending order. 7,6,5. Neat.
I proudly joined yet another bulletin board, because if there is anything I need more of, it’s places to play on the Internet. Thanks LaBomba. Appreciate it. ;P (BTW, when I put in LaBomba MS Word wants me to change it to ‘Lacombe’. Weird.)
Oddly, joining yet another board reminds me of this poem I heard:

NOBODY KNOWS IT BUT ME

There's a place that I travel,
When I want to roam
And nobody knows it but me.

The roads don't go there,
And the signs stay home
And nobody knows it but me.

It's far, far away and way, way afar,
It's over the moon and the sea,
And wherever you are going,
That's wherever you are
And nobody knows it but me.

-Patrick O'Leary

It was read in an ad for the Chevrolet Tahoe a few years back. I remember looking it up then and found out it was written specifically for that ad and that made me wonder if that made it less of a poem because of what it was written for. And does something that was not written for commercials become less of what it was when they start using them in ads? Like Aerosmith’s “Dream On”, or any of the songs Cadillac is using from Led Zepplin. Does that now ruin them? People have a weird proprietorship with some artists and seem to think that once everyone else likes them then they aren’t true artists anymore, or once their songs are used for a commercial venture the songs lose their value somehow. People are odd that way.
But I will admit that I now have a hard time hearing “Dream On” without thinking of cars or even the Beatles “Revolution” and not think of sneakers. I really should watch less TV.
Yeah… right.

Angel quote of the Day:
Cordelia: I can't get this bandage to… stop moving.
Angel: I'm not moving.
Cordelia: Then stop breathing.
Angel: I don't breathe.
Cordelia: Then stop flexing your manly boob muscle.

Oh, I forgot to say yesterday, Congrats to NASA for successively crashing into something! But someone isn't happy about it.

9 comments:

trinamick said...

I'd have sworn that was the poem my grandmother used to quote to us. Maybe they're just pretending it was an original, and they really stole it off a retired schoolteacher in the Midwest. The bastards.

John said...

Those things are called bulletin boards? I never knew exactly what they were called. I saw a whole bunch of familiar names there.

NYPinTA said...

Are you serious? About not knowing they are called bulletin boards??
Yeah, lots of familiar names... :D

trin, I wouldn't put it past em!!

mr. schprock said...

"People have a weird proprietorship with some artists…"

That's true. I knew someone back in the ’70s who "discovered" Meatloaf. Then, when the Bat Out of Hell album came out, you could see he wanted to run around telling people, "don't like him! I liked him first!" And I've known plenty of people who think popularity is the kiss of death for bands they once appreciated.

John said...

yeah...for the Farscape one, I always just said FMD. I didn't know the technical name for it.

I guess now I know what the BB is.

LucyDDCF said...

you have already used that angel quote. just thought u might like to know that.

NYPinTA said...

When? I'm only using one quote per episode per day... Did I really?

JustTerry said...

Poe, Tori amos Heinlein, you are definately a blog to be remembered.

NYPinTA said...

That is my goal. :D