Thursday, July 14, 2005

I can’t believe I don’t know this, but…

Quote of the Day: “Much learning does not teach understanding.” ~Heraclitus

Song of the Day: “So Cold” by Breaking Benjamin

State of mind: eager for the weekend

Date: 7/15/05

Another hurricane. Already? * sigh *
As I was watching the news last night I couldn’t help but wonder, are we the only coast that gets hit by hurricanes? I don’t recall anyone mentioning the coast of Europe buckling down before a storm. I made the mistake of asking my mother.
“Yeah, they hit Africa. But, they don’t call them hurricanes, they call them typhoons.”
“Really? Those are the same as hurricanes?”
“Yes.”
“That hit Africa?” I ask, dubious.
“ Well, somewhere…”
“ I don’t think a typhoon is the same. I don’t think they spin… and isn’t ‘typhoon’ a Japanese word?”
“So?”
“Why would people in Africa use a Japanese word?”
“Look it up then” she said a bit testily. So I did.
First I looked up typhoon. It said: ‘hurricane like storm’. Huh. But I was suspicious. So I looked up hurricane. It said: ‘tempest’. Really…. So I looked up tempest. It is: ‘a storm with high winds’. I suddenly felt the urge to look up ‘wild goose chase’, but didn’t. Don’t they have pretty specific criteria for what does and does not constitute a hurricane? Wind velocity, spin, that sort of thing? You would think a dictionary would be a little more specific.
I did learn that hurricane is based on a Native American word, and typhoon is in fact a Chinese word, not Japanese. At least I was geographically closer that my mother was, but I was still no closer to an answer. Damn dictionary.
Wracking my brain, I just couldn’t recall seeing images of hurricanes swallowing up any other landmasses except the US and all those islands south of us.
I mentioned that as I searched the dictionary.
“Why would they show a hurricane in another part of the world on our TV?” my mother asked.
“Well, it’s not like it’s just a thunderstorm! It’s an event. You would think they would mention it.”
“True.”
Well, maybe not. I still have no idea. Is a typhoon a hurricane? Or is the Atlantic the only ocean pissy enough to produce such storms?
Maybe I’ll try google… someone once said they know everything…

On an unrelated note: I went to Wendy’s for lunch today and as I was at the first window getting my change the guy at the window (who was the manager I think) said, “72 coconuts,” as he handed me my change. At first I thought it was slightly amusing. Then the commercial for Lime Coke got stuck in my head with that annoying song… ‘you put the lime in the coconut…’ which reminded me of the scene in "Practical Magic" where the witches are making margaritas, and that reminded me of how awesome I thought the house was in that movie, which lead to thoughts about how much I want my own house but have thus far not been able to save any money for a down payment on a house because I can’t seem to avoid spending money at amazon.com or at Wendy’s for my lunch. By the time I made it to the second window, I was thoroughly depressed. Thanks for the trip to despairville, jerk! And then one final thought as I was pulling out of the parking lot, “And I bet he makes more money then me too.” *sigh*

Angel quote of the day:
Darla: Well, we stay in the best hotels, order room service, eat the waiters. People talk.

5 comments:

trinamick said...

Don't you just hate the fools at Wendy's, LOL!

As for typhoons, they are different than a hurricane. I don't know the specifics, but I know that my grandfather was on a ship to Japan during WWII during one. And he'll never eat cream of chicken soup because the cook was puking in one bucket while cooking it in another, and occasionally he got the buckets mixed up. So there you have it.

Henry said...

I know very rarely the west coast gets a Hurri-ken. I guess it has to do with the circulation of the water and the temperature and the prevailing winds. They are amazing arent they???

I think Wendys has the highest Henry percentage of all the burger joints. That is: GETTING MY FREAKIN ORDER RIGHT! Mcdonalds the lowest--they suck i hate them.

Spirit Of Owl said...

A typhoon is the equivalent to a hurricane in the southern hemisphere. It just spins the other way.

I thought vegetable soup was suspicious. I am never eating any soup at sea ever.

Spirit Of Owl said...

Or at least that's what I thought. Turns out they're the same thing, just in different parts of the world.

Wikipedia Typhoon entry.

On record, Britain gets hit by hurricans about once every twenty years on average, but nothing on the scale of Florida's storms. In the latter half of the 20th century, this has become about once every five years or less. It's assumed this is to do with global warming.

NYPinTA said...

"And he'll never eat cream of chicken soup because the cook was puking in one bucket while cooking it in another, and occasionally he got the buckets mixed up. So there you have it."

Wow. And I thought the guy at Wendy's was the low point of the day! LOL That's just so wrong.