Thursday, July 28, 2005

And they’re off!!

Quote of the day: “Above all things, reverence yourself.” ~Pythagoras
Well ok, if you insist.

Song of the day: “Mechanized Mind” by Clay People *

State of mind: less easily annoyed then yesterday

Date: 7/28/05

Racing season started yesterday in Saratoga. Nothing like gambling, funny hats, and alcohol to say New York! My grandfather was a bookie, which is illegal but got him lots of favors with the local government. All my cousins that wanted got jobs with the state. I feel safe confessing this since my grandfather and all the politicians that did favors for him are all dead. Bye bye old boys club. I of course, was too stupid to take advantage of this cozy arrangement insisting I could do it all on my own. Stupid independent streak.
My grandmother was a whiz at horse betting. Every year my grandparents would take a vacation to Florida on her winnings alone. Her little tip, bet on the jockey not the horse. Thanks grandma! She’s gone now too, I like to think to the great racetrack in the sky. My sister would get upset because my birthday was right after track season, so I always got more money in my birthday card then her. Ha ha ha. Loser. That’s what she gets for being born in April.
I’ve only been to the track once. I didn’t do to bad. I won 237 dollars on a triple. I also bet across the board on a horse and when it came in third, I only got 1.50 back. Sometimes, knowing math would be a good thing and I would have known it wasn’t economically feasible to do what I did. You live and learn. That is what gambling is for, right? Life lessons?

“The Pocket Encyclopedia of Aggravation: 101 Things that Annoy, Bother, Chafe, Disturb, Enervate, Frustrate, Grate, Harass, Irk, Jar, Mife, Nettle, Outrage, Peeve, Quassh, Rile, Stress Out, Trouble, Upset, Vex, Worry and X,Y Z You!” Damn. Someone beat me to it.

*Clay People. This is a local band. The bassist was in a band called Treaty in the mid 90’s and they were insane! To this day I mourn the fact that they couldn’t get their shit together and make a real go of it. They never could get a vocalist of any quality and the first guitarist quit to create his own band that sucked. The new guitarist (I dubbed Pig Pen) was an ass and would refuse to play in any bar he didn’t deem cool enough for him. (Which was pretty much all of them.) They were favorites at the QE2, but that place was sold and turned into a Swing Club in 97. Sad.

Angel: You know I... well... I really couldn't help but notice all the goats. Yeah, that's a lot of goats. Goats... Many.

9 comments:

Henry said...

Good friend of mine was great bettor. He told me the same thing--he also told me to watch when the same jockey had experience with a certain horse. If they always pair them together and they always do bad--that won't reverse. Likewise, if they are continually paired and they always do well---bet on them.

Pig pen? Wasn't he a keyboard player?

NYPinTA said...

No. That was Schroder.(sp)

mr. schprock said...

At the dogtrack, you bet on the last dog that went pee pee before the race starts: he's lighter then the rest.

John said...

Then again, the one that hasn't gone yet might want to get the race over with as fast as he can so he can relieve himself. And then, you know, the licking.

mr. schprock said...

Bet on the bladder, not the dog.

trinamick said...

I don't gamble. I work too hard for my money. Ok, so maybe I don't work hard at all, but I have the worst luck in the world. There's no need to showcase that to everyone around me.

mr. schprock said...

Hasn't gambling been described as the Idiot Tax? Maybe just the state lottery.

John said...

My dad's mother is always at Foxwoods. I've gone with her a few times. Even though I never win anything, I'm using her money so it doesn't really matter.

Wow. Could that have been the most awful sentence ever? Who wants to bet it is?

NYPinTA said...

I think that title still belongs to trin's 'out like a wet fart' comment...because, ick.

Unless you mean awful in the sense that you still waste your grandmother's money even though we all know you have a job and could waste your own, then yes. It is the most awful.