Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Lions

Quote of the day: “When he stood up, it was a very complicated motion. If the deck chairs on the Ship to the Sea of Night had opened up, they would have done so like that. It was like he was unfolding himself forever.” ~Neil Gaiman, Good Omens (The quote doesn’t really mean anything, but damn if that man doesn’t have a cool turn of phrase.)

Song of the day: “Hi. How Are You Today?” Ashley Mac Isaac

State of mind: wishing I were in bed taking a long nap.

Date: June 22, 2005

Who didn’t read this story?
Pretty amazing huh? Not the lions part… the fact that it takes a girl being saved by lions for our press to mention that girls are being forced into marriages by rape and repeated beatings. That isn’t news worthy?? But the damn runaway bride is? WhatFuckingEver!
Anyhow, when I first read the story I was immediately reminded of the 1996 movie The Ghost and the Darkness staring Val Kilmer, (who BTW is not the ‘hottie of the week’. I know who is; I just haven’t found a cool enough pic yet.) William Goldman, who saw the story in a world history book, wrote the movie about the Tsavo Lions that killed 130 people over a nine month period while a railroad was being built where, I guess, the lions didn’t want it. The most interesting thing about that story was that the lions were killing people but not necessarily eating them, which is counter to their nature. Animals kill for food. Humans kill for fun.
My only hope is that these ^*%&&*(%&#$@# that are kidnapping girls and beating them into marriage are superstitions enough to take this as a divine sign to… oh I don’t know… stop torturing little girls!

On an unrelated note: We have a new office manager and she is driving me insane. Not in the way the old one did because this one actually knows what she is doing, and she doesn’t make up stuff when asked a question, and as a bonus is actually nice to her kids… but because she has to challenge every damn thing I say and it’s tiring. Just tiring. Or it just might be that I'm in a bad mood for no reason... That happens to everyone, right?

Angel quote of the day:
Angel: "Cordelia. You're here... And with a cross."
Cordelia: "And along with three double half-caf non-fat skinny lattes."
Angel: "And a cross."

12 comments:

trinamick said...

I was also reminded of that movie, because someone found out I loved it and just bought it for me.

I said the same thing when I heard this. Let's worry about that spoiled brat who gets a book deal out of running away while people are getting raped and beaten. I hope those lions hunt the guys down and eat them in their beds.

NYPinTA said...

Slowly too!

Henry said...

How is that Runaway Bride doing anyway--I hope shes OK after all that stress--and whats with the bug eyes? Or was that just a bad picture...

I'm just kidding--yes the media sure does cover on some crazy shit dont they?
"Forced marriages dont sell papers kid--whats that lions you say? Now we got us a story!!"

cali said...

No doubt the lions were protecting her because in her terror she sounded like a wounded cub. But you really have to wonder if the lions could sense the purely evil intent of her pursuers - after all it is what defines us humans.

And after they've eaten the rapists, maybe for dessert the lions could eat the journalists who ignore the plight of these kids until they get a sensational lion story.

Spirit Of Owl said...

It's hard reading this story not to think that lions sometimes know what they're doing... But nah! It's a weird one, but in the end it's a fantastic thing that at least one girl was saved from a sick fate. I hope she gets dealt with properly now, and gets really looked after by humans.

That Good Omens quote, I reckon Terry Pratchett wrote that line. It's more his style. It's a great book though.

LucyDDCF said...

1- use the guy that stared as Noah in "The Notebook" hwe is sweet looking.

2- my problem with the lion story (i also blogged about it) is this. Male lions were guarding the child. maned lions are male. Male lions are usually the ones that kill the lion cubs. So why would they protect a wimpering one?
3-my second problem the 4 men of the 7 they caught, are they the ones the lion's killed? And why are they looking for the other suspects if in fact 70% of the marriages are performed this way?
4-Runaway Bride got fined a bookoo amount of money from the state. She also faces up to 7 years in jail pending the federal investigation (ie she made a false 911 call) and or an additional 70K in fines (she has paid 14K to atlanta )

LL said...

But let's talk about the REAL victims here. Can you imagine the horror of it all? I mean the shame... *shakes head* I can hear it now.

"Damn, you're one ugly bastard. You couldn't even get a 12 year old girl to marry you."

"IT WAS THE LIONS!!! I SWEAR!!!"


:P

NYPinTA said...

Wow LL.. just wow.

Stellar said...

Rectum? It nearly killed him.

LL said...

"Wow LL.. just wow."

Wha?

mr. schprock said...

"Forced marriages dont sell papers kid--whats that lions you say? Now we got us a story!!"

Ha! Ha! Good one Henry. That story sounds like a fairy tale to me. nypinta, you made great points and, if I might add to them, the most astonishing thing I took from that story it 70% of marriages in a country of 71 million people occur that way!

NYPinTA said...

"Rectum? It nearly killed him."

Still got that word stuck in your head, huh? Poor stellar... Oh, and ha!