Monday, June 20, 2005

I wanna save the world too.

Quote of the Day: “America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.” ~Oscar Wilde

Song of the Day: “Schism” by Tool.

State of Mind: ok for a Monday.

Date: 6/20/05

I read three books this weekend. Magic's Pawn, Magic's Promise and Magic's Price. Apparently Thomas Jefferson would find that appalling. I’m actually kind of proud of myself. THREE! That’s a record. Sure, I’ve read them all before so maybe my eyes skimmed along the pages a little faster then before, but whatever. Naturally, I shirked all other duties this weekend in order to accomplish this magnificent feat, but really, laundry can wait a couple of days. Valdemar had to be saved! I couldn’t put that off to do Chores! How silly!
The only other thing I did this weekend was watch the last three episodes of Angel. Man, I loved that show. Then I started examining all the forms of entertainment that strikes my fancy and started to see a trend. I like heroes that have a miserable time while trying to save the world: Angel, Buffy, John Crichton, Vanyel, (who is the guy in the books I read)… the harder time they have and the giddier I get. I wonder why that is? (Well, ok… not giddy giddy, like I’m rubbing my hands in wicked glee when they get their asses kicked… I just seem to appreciate their triumphs more if they had to pick themselves out of the dirt a few times before defeating the Big Bad; or something.) Maybe it's that secretly, I want to be the one to save the world. But since I'm not a vampire with a soul, or a Herald-Mage, or an astronaut with a bad sense of direction, I have to do it vicariously through them. I can live with that.

In other news, my sister is an idiot. Actually, her husband is, but she married him so I guess that makes her and idiot by association. Yesterday she calls me frantic because her husband wanted me to order something off of the Home Shopping Network for him. I couldn’t believe it! It was a set of Benjamin Franklin coins. I guess he used to get them as a kid as an allowance, but of course, he spent them… so now he wants the whole set. For 299.95. * sigh * Idiots. He couldn’t order them because his check wouldn’t clear the bank until Friday and they got rid of all their credit cards. So, I ordered them. I guess that makes me an idiot too… but at least it is twice removed.

Angel quote of the day:
Wesley: What happened to calmly, cautiously, and deliberately investigating before rushing in?
Angel: That was plan A. We've since moved on to plan B.
Wesley: And plan B is?
Angel: [twirls a battling ax in his hand] Do I really have to explain it to you, Wesley?

9 comments:

Spirit Of Owl said...

Ok, fantastic work on the book reading thing there. Suitable awesomely impressed here. :)

But buying money is just madness. Here in the UK our smallest note is the £5 note. As a commemoration of something or other a little while ago, the Bank of England brought out a super duper special edition £5 coin. Whoopdedoo. Now, I don't even know if this coin qualifies as legal tender in a shop, but the TV ads, without irony, said that we could "own this beautiful coin for just £5."

I nearly had an egg.

cali said...

There's a line in Batman Begins, told to a young Bruce Wayne by his father; "Why do we fall? So we can pick ourselves up again." (Its repeated a couple of times during the movie - thats why i remember it). And indeed, he does fall a few times before defeating the bad guys. Seems like your kind of hero?

Btw - the movie is AWESOME! Your b/f Christian Bale is perfect as Batman and Cillian Murphy as Scarecrow is the creepiest batman villain so far.

Henry said...

I can say this about the idiot in question:
1-He is indeed an idiot.
2-He tells is like-no matter what anyone thinks.
3-His heart is almost as big as him (thats BIG).
But I still can't believe you bought that for him!!!

mr. schprock said...

I one time read a book in a day. We were at a beach house in Rincon, Puerto Rico, and had I finished the book I brought with me. There happened to be an English language book lying around, a mystery that took place during the Iditarod, so I picked it up and read it. In hot, humid Puerto Rico, it was just the thing! And I learned a thing or two about dog sledding. More than what Thomas Jefferson knew, I bet.

NYPinTA said...

Yeah, buying money is dumb but despite my cantankerous posturing I am a big giant pushover.

"Your b/f Christian Bale..." *sigh* If only... ;)

trinamick said...

I used to be able to finish several books in a day (before I had a job). Now, I can have it checked out from the library for three weeks, and it's overdue before I finish it. Just sad.

As for Home Shopping, I figure it's pretty redundant to spend money to buy money. Why not keep the stuff you already have?

Jim said...

Money is probably a marginally better investment than Beanie Babies.

NYPinTA said...

"Money is probably a marginally better investment than Beanie Babies."

Really? Crap.

Spirit Of Owl said...

Beanies: SELL SELL SELL!