Monday, June 27, 2005

Holy movie review Batman (I know, real original...)

Quote of the day: "Why do we fall? So we learn how to get back up." Batman's dad, Batman, and at a pivotal moment, Alfred the Butler extraordinaire.

Song of the day: "More Human Than Human" by White Zombie

State of mind: Monday again?? Damn.

Date: 6/27/05

Guess what? I saw Batman this weekend. I saw it on Sunday to be exact. It was a hot and muggy day and the thought of being outside... well, it was out of the question. Me and humidity do not get along. I do not have the wardrobe for it. I would need a cooling suit ala Scorpius, but without the cooling rods being shoved into my head. Talk about ice headaches!
What can I say about this movie that hasn't already been said? It's an awesome flick. They finally did get it right; and I hate bats.
True story, when I was about 5 years old I was upstairs taking a nap. The room my sister and I shared was a converted attic space so the walls sloped on both sides and storage access was through a curtained door about 4 feet high. I never liked that door. Fabric is not enough to keep out whatever nasties live in the dark places of anyone’s house. Would you have a fabric door on a cellar? No. The boogieman can get past that too easily. So why would you have fabric on the attic access?? Seriously. Sometimes adults just do not think. Anyhow, that particular day the nasty that got by was a few bats. They had decided they wanted to take a nap too and somehow hung themselves from the ceiling in our room right above our heads. My mother had come up to wake us and saw these nasties slumbering away and did what any good wife would do: she got my dad. He in turn, was useless. I don't know how we escaped, but there was a broom involved and a lot of yelling by both my mother and father. It was very traumatic.
Turns out they had been getting into our attic through a tiny hole next to our chimney which led to the attic which, (by virtue of a millimeter of cloth), led to our room. We slept downstairs for the next week till a couple of roofers could come and wait till sunset when the bats would leave so they could seal up the hole. For the next month the bats would come back every morning and dive bomb our house trying to get in. For years if my sister wanted to scare me she would say, “better come in or the bats are gonna get you." Terrifying. I'm over it now though. Really. Bats eat mosquitoes and although mosquitoes don't scare me they bite and itch. Despite my trauma, I have yet to be bitten by a bat. The enemy of my enemy... yada yada yada.
Oh... so back to the movie. It's good. Really really good. I don't want to give away anything but Christian Bale is Batman and he has a steadfast Butler named Alfred. Also on his side is a man that works for Wayne Industries played by Morgan Freeman and anytime Morgan Freeman and Christian Bale were on screen together I wanted to pinch there cheeks and say: "Oh you guys!!!" and hug ‘em. The only thing I wasn't to thrilled about was the amount of damage done during the chase scene. But I guess they needed to do that to demonstrate what a tank his... um... tank was.
The bad guys were really Batmanesque while at the same time making complete sense in a real world scenario. The Scarecrow was damn scary... for a pretty man, who BTW would make a great Vanyel if anyone had the balls to make those books into movies. Just saying. Also, Liam Neeson, even during the quiet bits, displayed 100 times more emotion then he was allowed to during Ep I. That in its self is reason enough to go.
So big thumbs up from me and I can't wait for the sequels.

Angel quote of the day:
Cordelia: Did someone find out you were a big nerd?
David Nabit: No, that's public record.

12 comments:

trinamick said...

I haven't seen it yet. I'm hoping to catch it while I'm out of town this weekend. As for bats, we have them in the attic of our office. One day, I'll tell you how we found out about them.

NYPinTA said...

Sounds ominous. Do I really want to know?

mr. schprock said...

I know it must have hurt to relive your traumatic past, but damn good story and well told. And you talked me into seeing that Batman movie. (Why can't it be Bat-Man, like Spider-Man? Oh, because it's better that way.)

NYPinTA said...

Oh... without giving away any more of Batman, there is a scene that has someone looking very much like a Scarren. So all you Scapers be on the lookout for that. ;D

cali said...

Great movie innit? That line about the falling and getting up, though pretty corny, really worked in the movie.

How come you didn't become a superhero after your traumtic experience with the bats? Or, maybe you did! After all, its not like you'd be able to tell us.

NYPinTA said...

*D-oh! cali is getting to close to the truth!! Must retreat to the batcave to regroup!*

Spirit Of Owl said...

It's like Silence of the Bats! :D

Of all the things I ever hope happens for you in this life, the top of the list is that you meet Freeman and Bale sometime, somewhere, and chuchy chuchy chuchy them until you can't chuchy chuchy no more. But I'll never be able to look at them the same again.

LL said...

"Talk about ice headaches!"

Out here we call that a brain freeze.

"Also, Liam Neeson, even during the quiet bits, displayed 100 times more emotion then he was allowed to during Ep III."

I think you're about to lose your nerd status. Liam Neeson was in Ep I.

NYPinTA said...

I hit the I button too hard, thats all. :P I mean... what are you talking about?

LucyDDCF said...

I thought this was the prequel and all the ones we've seen so far were the sequals.

NYPinTA said...

This Batman movie ignores all the others I think. Just pretend they don't exist. The Ep I I mentioned was Star Wars. Liam Neeson was the Jedi of no expression in that movie... and what a waste I say!

LL said...

" I hit the I button too hard, thats all. :P I mean... what are you talking about?"

*shakes head* shameless...