Thursday, June 16, 2005

Cyclical life, and C-SPAN

Quote of the day: “I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.” ~Mark Twain

Song of the day: “The Package” by A Perfect Circle

State of mind: slightly distracted

Date: 6/16/05

Life is cyclical. Kind of like a slinky flattened out so that when it loops back in on itself you see where things are repeating themselves. You know, ‘what’s old is new again’ and things being ‘back in fashion’. I think that is true for mental age as well. When I was younger I thought that I would grow up and put behind me all the childish things and that will be that. Not so! There are times when I am definitely feeling my true age and then something will happen and suddenly I am 14yrs old again, relishing in some childish delight or another. Or I’ll get the sudden inexplicable urge to dye my hair an outrageous color as I did when I was 18. (My favorite color is purple BTW- and my hair has been that quite a few times.) Thankfully, I have yet to get another hankering for more body piercings. Ears are enough, thank you.
My latest retrogression was that I just had to re-read some books I had read right after High School. At that time, I was very much into ‘Sword and Sorcery’ books. That was when I read Lord of the Rings, the Dragonlance Chronicles, and my personal favorites, The Books of the Last Herald-Mage. Thank goodness for Amazon.com. They arrived yesterday, in a package that the Post Office managed to mangle, but the books inside survived. Already, I’m halfway through with the first one. It’s strange how the desire to read them again came on so suddenly. I’m not even sure what triggered it. I’m thinking it might be the idea of the Companions, ethereal beings that are above humans in horse form that choose people to uphold the law of the land, people above corruption and beauracracy. If only it were so!! (BTW- the desire to wear micro-minis and belly shirts hasn’t hit me again yet, but if it does, I’ll let you know.)

Also, and in slightly more important news: Today on C-SPAN, they are supposed to be airing the hearings to discuss the memo that was leaked in Britain about the war in Iraq. I guess it’s supposed to be on at 2:30 Eastern Standard Time. Enjoy!
Edit: the hearings have been pushed back until tomarrow.
C-SPAN

Angel quote of the day:
Cordelia: This is your idea of hell.
Angel: Actually, in Hell you tend to know a lot of people.

18 comments:

Spirit Of Owl said...

I keep remembering an album I own on LP but can't listen to so I rush out and buy the CD. I already bought up all my childhood books. Oh, alright, I still have the originals... LOL

When you are struck with the desire to wear micro-minis and belly shirts, don't just tell us. It's time for a photo blog!!!

btw - What the hell are gams? :oP

cali said...

Life being cyclical i think is a pleasantly optimistic outlook (btw - love the slinky analogy). Some would say its more like a vortex, or as Trent Raznor would say, a downward spiral; each revolution diminishing as we near the sinkhole. I prefer your viewpoint!

And yeah, no one leaks as well as us brits! Hmmm, maybe i should rethink that.

cali said...

Oh, and Spirit posted the same time as me, otherwise i would have dittoed the photo blog comment.....

Forrest said...

Dear Blog Neighbor

We at Mandrew (a three man- one andrew collective) are confronted with a dilemma. One of our member has had what could be described as a audio vision. He reports:

I had this weird song stuck in my head for like 10 min
it went somethin like
"because saddam stole my turkey
oh that dirty haji stole my turkey
because saddam stole my turkey
he took the refrigerator too."

Mandrew is tturning to our blog neighborhood for help. Should these be the lyrics? How should the rest of the song go? Why did one of our members have this happen to him? Any assisstance you could provide would be helpful. Our comments are open and we can be reached at
Andrew at www.mindlessblather.net
Forrest at www.mindlessblather.net
Soviet at www.sovietinamerica.blogspot.com
Walter at www.fortheboredones.blogspot.com

Thank you for your help.

trinamick said...

M'kay.

I have several books that I hadn't read since middle school that I dug out awhile back, like The Girl Who Owned A City. I was reminded of it after watching the season premiere of Jeremiah, since it was based on the same premise.

As for the rest of the growing up cycle, I've never hit the growing up stage. I'll still fight over the black crayon.

Just as I was reading this, my boss's wife called about the C-SPAN coverage. It's a good thing I was reading this, or I wouldn't have know what she was talking about, LOL!

NYPinTA said...

SOS, gams= legs. I know this from watching Bugs Bunny cartoons.

cali, Trent Reznor needs a hug.

Glad I could once agian be educational trin! LOL.

John said...

Didn't know what gams are...what a maroon.




see, 'cause that's what Bugs Bunny...ah, nevermind.

Forrest said...

The person who posted the above comment under my name IS NOT ME, but some horrid little anonymous weasel called 'Mandrew' who has been going around posting under my name and, apparently, also those of my friends Andrew, Walter, and Vadim (AKA 'Soviet'). I don't know why precisely this person is doing this... I can only hypothesize that he (or she) must be a supremely bored and lonely individual. I sincerely apologize if the above lyrics - which, until this moment, I had absolutely no knowledge of - caused any offense to you or any of your readership.

Oh, and incidentally, I do like your blog alot. :)

~ Forrest Malone, co-owner/operator, www.mindlessblather.net

LL said...

Thanks Forrest. At least something in this blog makes sense now...


:P

John said...

You know the expression "talk to the hand?" What if people see the title of your blog and think it means...you know, talk to my ass?

Have I asked that already?

I had the worst time trying to pronounce "cyclical."

NYPinTA said...

"At least something in this blog makes sense now..."

har har har. :P

John, people don't say 'talking to the hand' so I think the title to my blog will not give anyone the silly impression that I mean talking to an ass... except now. ;D

John said...

Like if someone knocks on the bathroom door and asks, "What are you doing in there?"

"Just talking to the moon."

John said...

Wow. that's a new level of gross I just found.

LL said...

I think you've enabled all of us to find it g_s...

How happy you must be.

"... har har har..."
Wha? :innocent:

trinamick said...

At least it doesn't say Talking Out The Moon, or we'd have a whole new set of problems.

mr. schprock said...

The first "chapter book" I ever read was "The Runaway Robot" by Lester del Rey. A few years ago I paid $30 for a beat-up, used edition of it through Amazon and read it to my youngest kid. I just had to get it.

trinamick said...

My grandpa still remembers the first book he ever read. He only went to school through the 10th grade, though. I found it a few years ago through Barnes & Noble. It was a kid's book, so he said he liked it better the first time around. :P

NYPinTA said...

Ha! I like your grandfather!